• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Recent content by TwoHandsTenThumbs

1. TwoHandsTenThumbs

Scorsese to make a movie about the Dead

Regardless of what I think about Scorsese’s work generally, he’s had an undeniably long, creative relationship with rock music. Both in terms of song placement in his narrative filmmaking, to producing actual music documentaries. While popular music and culture were often creatively leveraged by...
  2. TwoHandsTenThumbs

Wow, do I feel old (AMA awards winners)

Was that ever the norm? While that undoubtedly happened (happens?) to some extent, it strikes me that popular, mainstream music was (and remains) frequently buoyed by forces outside of skill or musical talent. From crooner pics tucked into the frame of Aunt Myrtle’s vanity mirror, to wartime...
  3. TwoHandsTenThumbs

FS Line 6 HX FX

PM’d
  4. TwoHandsTenThumbs

Is the Casio CZ-101 or the Roland JV-30 collectible?

The Casio CZs have been climbing. There’s been a bit of a resurgence in interest in digital synthesis, particularly FM and PD. They’ve even made a few virtual CZ plugins and stand-alones.
  5. TwoHandsTenThumbs

The Sex Pistols American tour... 1978

Fox Theatre, Detroit, MI…August, 1986. But I almost bailed.
  6. TwoHandsTenThumbs

Cassette Tapes, thoughts?

Any joyous feelings I have for cassette tapes are largely rooted in nostalgia, and all relate to three, specific experiences. The cassette tape, in tandem with the Sony Walkman, allowed me to have access to music I wanted to hear, essentially whenever or wherever I wanted. In a group, sub a...
  7. TwoHandsTenThumbs

Elton John v. Billy Joel v. Paul Simon

While I don’t currently listen to any of the three with any frequency, I’d say Elton John by a large margin, followed by Simon. Joel always struck me as pretty schlocky. Simon wrote a lot of sentimental pap, which is really saying something, when you consider some of John’s output.
  8. TwoHandsTenThumbs

In other words, a win-win.
  9. TwoHandsTenThumbs

To that end, Simon was also married to Carrie Fisher for a moment in the early ‘80s.
  10. TwoHandsTenThumbs

Tell us about the best vintage guitar you’ve had the pleasure of playing.

A banner J45 in maple. It had the midrange thump that a great Gibson should have, with the bass and treble of a dialed in Braz D28, and a perfect neck. At the time, I was wrapping up grad school, and broke (and about to become even more strapped, as my loan deferment lapsed). I’ve played over...
  11. TwoHandsTenThumbs

1/8” strapjack…

100% my take, as well. It’s bad enough having a dual source set-up requiring 1/4” TRS (in my case, K&K and Sunrise), but if the TRS fails, I can still use a stadard TS in a pinch to access the K&K. If a 1/8” cable goes bad or missing, one isn’t likely to as easily find one to borrow on the fly.
  12. TwoHandsTenThumbs

1/8” strapjack…

http://tapastring.com/vintagejack.htm
  13. TwoHandsTenThumbs

Should I get a refund?

Given the tumultuous relationship between the Reid brothers, I suspect the names “Jesus” and “Mary” have been invoked on a number of occasions. “Joseph”, too, it would seem.
  14. TwoHandsTenThumbs

Buyer beware - Atlas Stands

Strange. They still list parts on their website? You should be able to find that part at a dealer. Folks like Performance Audio stock Atlas parts. I’ve mostly moved over to LatchLake stands, but have a few older Atlas stands. Might be time to hunt down some spare clutch assemblies…
  15. TwoHandsTenThumbs

There's no way this refinished '64 Strat sold for that price...

Slowly and surely, the vintage guitar world will need to embrace that reality. The older instruments become, the more invasive maintenance becomes to keep them operational and not merely artifacts. Orchestral string players have had to make peace with this long ago.
Top Bottom