Recent content by ucnick

1. ucnick

Best Gibson LP alternative, max $2000

I forgot... I also have an Anderson Bobcat P90 that is really nice too. Dang... gotta take some pics of 'em...
  2. ucnick

Best Gibson LP alternative, max $2000

I have a CS-6 I bought from Carvin in 2012, I think it was. One of my fave guitars, excellent all around.:dude
  3. ucnick

Guitar not cutting through when playing with band.

I hear ya. Believe me, it ain't perfect by any means, but for the $200 I paid for it, it punches quite a ways above it's weight... I was actually quite surprised. FWIW, our rhythm guitar/lead singer uses a Mk 1 K50 1X12 I sold him (after I replaced its stock speaker with a Lead 80 I had lying...
  4. ucnick

Do you play along with albums/backing tracks?

Yes, pretty much every day in varying amounts!
  5. ucnick

Hm. I ran my K100 in 50 watt mode with my band a few years ago at an outdoor gig, I did have it cranked but my stage volume was so loud the sound guy turned me down in the mix, and told me to turn it the #$%^^%$!! down. No one had any problem hearing me, and it is a loud band. But, as usual, YMMV.
  6. ucnick

Zackly. Much different at louder volumes tonally due to the F-M, AKA equal loudness, curves. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour
  7. ucnick

It can be done. That is why the Nashville cats use `em. I gig my Mk 1 K100 1x12 on occasion. It also became smoother and less treble-y once the speaker was broken in. With a Strat, mids are your friend! I don't typically use any of the distorted amps, I use the clean setting and dial in dirt...
  8. ucnick

Interested in Deluxe Reverb tone, but want it to be better than what Fender offer

How ` bout a Lil Dawg Wonderdawg? Single channel AB763 circuit variant with SR tone stack for mid control. Price is pretty reasonable. No PCBs. All handwired. Heard great things about Lil Dawg product. Been thinking about one myself...:love::drool https://www.littledawgamps.com/the-wonderdawg/
  9. ucnick

What's a single studio monitor that looks like a cabinet?

EX112 is Tech 21 model number for the extension cab.
  10. ucnick

Looks like Pete Thorn digs his QC for gigs

I grok. Harshaw was my favorite. Way way way way way back when, 72, 73... My first copy fell apart I read it so much. That... and Dune and Catch-22...
  11. ucnick

What's a single studio monitor that looks like a cabinet?

FYI from personal experience the PEDD is not loud enough by itself when behind you and with a loud band outdoors. It also begins to compress and sorta drop out when hitting peaks at max volume, probably protection circuit kicking in. It may be loud enough with the EX112 extension cab connected...
  12. ucnick

Roasted Shmoasted

My wife really loves the smell of a roasted maple neck. Honestly, she really does. :beer She doesn't care about the SS frets, however... :crazy
  13. ucnick

Kiesel: "That's what makes our necks so good, that we don't use a PLEK machine"

I have had 5 or 6 Carvins (Carvins, not Kiesels) over the years, still have 4 - perfect frets on all of them. No issues whatsoever.
  14. ucnick

Is there still a place for 100W amps?

FWIW, I played an outdoor gig with one of my bands last week to a crowd of a few thousand, had a full PA provided by a professional sound outfit. I ran my FM3 into a Marshall Origin 50 head into a DV Mark 1x12 cab, and ran the amp at half power setting (no gain boost, half power is 10 watts...
Top Bottom