• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Recent content by Wag

1. Wag

Smallest change to your guitar that made a big tonal difference.

I handed it to someone with real talent. Geeezus man.....that guitar sounded sooooo sweet. :rockin (The killer tone imparted unto said guitar mysteriously vanished after it was handed back to me later that day. Dunno... your results may vary) :huh
  2. Wag

Classic Rock Driving Songs

I love that the Deep Purple fans have posted Highway Star no less than a half dozen times in the span of an (as of this posting) 8 page thread. lol...We're a loyal lot to be sure. However... You cannot be a DP fan and not appreciate Chickenfoot's excellent cover of Highway Star. They play it...
  3. Wag

Lightest gauge acoustic strings you can get?

I would definitely recommend trying a set of Martin Extra-Lights (,10-.47). They are the best light gauge acoustic strings I've run across so far.
  4. Wag

Do you hate the looks of a soundhole pickup?

Y'all need to dig a little deeper and think this through..... It's not the soundhole pickup that you need to eliminate. It's the soundhole! :bonk Problem solved! :banana
  5. Wag

Acoustic-Electric Nylon String Guitar Recommendations?

https://www.washburn.com/product/eact42s/ A few months back, while hunting for an Epi SST I stumbled across one of these Washburns in minty condition and priced to move. I had a "next to nothing" amount of knowledge and experience with classical guitars in general and absolutely ZERO knowledge...
  6. Wag

Oliver Woods' old Gibson acoustic and gear?

Allow me to introduce you and yea....it is a sexy guitar to be sure. {Oliver tuning up his Gibby}
  7. Wag

Oliver Woods' old Gibson acoustic and gear?

Forgive my off topic reply: I've long been a fan of Oliver's and as much as I like The Wood Brothers... *sigh* ...I sure do miss King Johnson.
  8. Wag

Pickup Height, such a mystery

I don't believe it was meant to be a one-size-fits-all solution but rather an effective starting point. It provides that "baseline" for those of us that have little experience dialing in pups so you're not just shooting blind. You notice that he did say "as a general rule...." and explained how...
  9. Wag

Pickup Height, such a mystery

Here's what Bill Lawrence had to say on the subject: "The distance between pickup and string is a very important factor for output and sound. As a general rule for the bridge pickup - put a nickel on top of the pickup under the high E string and play the highest note on that string. Adjust the...
  10. Wag

Help me with the blues

Right there is the key. Playing blues is NOT a solo activity. (yea...I know y'all want to pick this apart. In the context of THIS man's question, let's not debate it. Perhaps I should say "LEARNING blues is not a solo activity?") Not long ago I was in a similar situation. Though I would listen...
  11. Wag

Ugh... think I’m going down the pickup rabbithole

Don't put those tools away.....just yet. If you've never owned a set of Bill Lawrence pups you owe it to yourself to read up on them. There's no charge for learnin' about new stuff. It's totally free. Besides....Bill's story is very interesting and he was a major influence in music industry...
  12. Wag

Gold top P90 Les Paul with Black Plastic

LOL.....(at one time I had ALL CHROME cosmetics on it) but.....Just for fun, a photo of it when it sported chrome P90 covers and black top hats:
  13. Wag

Realization: my rhythm work sucks... fun rock songs to work with

I second the "avoid rock" suggestion. You'll end up doing nothing but power chords. Find you some good blues tunes. Not your basic 3 chord 1,4,5 variety but some blues with a bit of depth to them. And if the blues aren't your thing, then think "songs that would work well in a solo or duo...
  14. Wag

Who makes the best string gauges?

don't leave home without it...lol