Recent content by Will Chen

1. Will Chen

Most realistic combo SS/Modeling amp these days

I think the Vypyr line is very much underrated and failed more due to the aesthetics than the actual tones in the amps. The old Fender Cyber series was very good as well though the vintage saggy feel was a bit overemphasized on a few settings. Boss Katana and Nextone get a lot of love but I've...
  2. Will Chen

Does TGP reflect the general musician's opinion on gear (hardware/software)?

Doesn't matter, a decent vocal majority here are downright fanatical hobbyists. Even among guitarists, you are talking about a very, very, very minute and extremely finicky group of people. I'm not just talking about this forum. Literally any forum is full of similarly mined people just...
  3. Will Chen

Does TGP reflect the general musician's opinion on gear (hardware/software)?

No. We are an enthusiast forum. No matter the subject, these types of communities absolutely do not reflect the general public opinion.
  4. Will Chen

Convenience tips the scales again - UPDATE post gigs

Maybe you should have a spreadsheet which tracks all the money you're losing flipping gear, maybe that will stop the chase...
  5. Will Chen

My Guitar Broke :'(

Then my guess is dehumidifiers vs no could be the culprit here. Exposure to increased humidity over time will cause some minor expansion which theoretically would lower relief. So if your guitar was set for very low action and the humidity increased significantly, over a week's time the relief...
  6. Will Chen

Are you normally in that type of environment? Significant change in humidity can be big factor here that's something that isn't going to be noticed in a day, more like a week plus...
  7. Will Chen

During my giging years, I've had numerous guitars fall flat on their face more times than I can remember. The damage from something like that tends to be to the frets getting dented due to the impact (and scratches and dings). What you are talking about sounds like the guitar was set for very...
  8. Will Chen

Revisiting the HX Stomp

Exactly. But really capable of some crazy effects and there's 1 specific chorus sound in it that just kicks me in the ass as it sounds exactly like I recall my old Fender CHO-1 sounding.
  9. Will Chen

Revisiting the HX Stomp

Well right so what, $500 vs $80? The Zoom "answer" (actually predating the HX) was the G3, but they just never augmented it with all the great (at least relatively great) CDR effects. I'm not saying for someone like you to go buy the CDR, but I'll probably never sell mine. Still use it from time...
  10. Will Chen

Revisiting the HX Stomp

Oh I realize the feature difference, amp modeling alone makes the stomp more versatile, but we're also talking about $700 vs $150. At $150 and likely well under $100 used, the MS-70CDR is literally priced within everyone's reach and is swiss army effects pedal pretty much every young player on a...
  11. Will Chen

Revisiting the HX Stomp

Yeah, I'm keeping mine around primarily as I'm interested in where they take development. The last update they pushed the envelope a little adding some more esoteric stuff that I find very interesting.
  12. Will Chen

Revisiting the HX Stomp

That "sound" is less about the cabs and more about the amps IMHO, some worse than others. Over time I'm sure it would start to get under my skin again, but for a week as a backup unit it's been fantastic. Yep, though the Badonk really is a nice idealized high gain tone. In terms of raw value...
  13. Will Chen

Revisiting the HX Stomp

Well...had an issue with my FM3 that had to get fixed, will finally be back tomorrow (actually getting a brand new unit, thanks Fractal, you're awesome, great customer service!) but over the last week I've been doing all my playing on the HX Stomp. A few interesting things I noticed. 1. I...
  14. Will Chen

Perfect hi-gain ampless solution?

Well..."good IR integrated" and "analog is a benefit" can not coexist. These features are basically in every digital modeler on the market, but there's not many if any analog solutions which will offer 1/2 that list.. If you want high gain sounds in an analog pedal which works direct as well...
  15. Will Chen

Suggestions for digital amp and power amp for home use

Honestly...if your planning on using a traditional cab, don't need a lot of amps/effects. Not sure there is much benefit of a digital modeler vs traditional amp.
Top Bottom