• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Recent content by xmd5a

1. xmd5a

Are we living in the "Golden Age" of affordable gear?

The 335 costing $3,000 give or take, I always assume it much be a lot harder to make a hollow or semi hallow, but the afformentioned $150 examples says otherwise. What's your excuse, Gibson? Genuinely great pickups for around $60 per SET...
  2. xmd5a

What song REALLY shook you and made you pick up guitar?

Nirvana's "Come As You Are", it sounded like it was easy to play, and sure enough it was, and it went from there. I kind of wish I had been inspired by metal or neo-classical, a higher bar would have left me a better guitar player all these years later, but that trend was a little before my time.
  3. xmd5a

Are we living in the "Golden Age" of affordable gear?

Is domestic stuff being made better too, or just import? I have two late 90's MIA Fenders and two more recent MIA's, and IMO, the quality is the same now as it was then. If it weren't for the rust and yellowing finish, I might not know how old any of the guitars are. But MIA Fenders, the...
  4. xmd5a

Gibson guitar tuning stability hack. Does this really work??

I have that on an old Deluxe Strat, I don't know that the ball bearings actually move that much. They're certainly low friction either way. It also has locking tuners and shallow break angles, and I sort of clamped the bridge, so I don't really have a strong opinion about how well it works, but...
  5. xmd5a

A locking nut is a lot better than a slippery nut, but less convenient, due to both because of the screws as well as the guitar having to be modified to accept it.
  6. xmd5a

I never said not to replace the nut. Maybe you have me confused for someone else. When I was talking about graphite, I was talking about graphite powder, not a whole graphite nut.
  7. xmd5a

Someone needs to invent a retro fit, non destructive locking nut that clamps shut with an lever, instead of screws. I think it could make someone a lot of money. If you presume, as I do, that 99% of tuning issues are nut related one way or another, a locking nut would solve almost all tuning...
  8. xmd5a

What if you use both, and make a grease / graphite jam? To be honest, I'm not sure either work very well. The guitar slipping out of tune is something that happens with some probability, and to some varying degree. The idea that any of them work could be nothing more than wishful thinking...
  9. xmd5a

Is my Les Paul Fake?

That's shaky grounds to believe that it could be fake. Google the serial number, most of the fakes use a particular serial number. Post pics of the guitar, and maybe the control cavity, if it's fake it will be readily apparent. The cut all kinds of corners with the fakes.
  10. xmd5a

Oh, you're right. I misremembered Big Bends as being white. Big Bends' FAQ says "What does Nut Sauce contain? Teflon and silicone in a proprietary base that won't run or drip." So they're the same sort of lubricant, but with different bases, apparently.
  11. xmd5a

Mysterious scratch on guitar. Seething with rage. Anyone else relate?

That seems suspicious. Any scratch remover that works well on poly or lacquer alike will work on much more that guitars alone. I bet its just automotive product rebranded and marked up.
  12. xmd5a

This stuff seems to be identical. This is 20 cc for $9. Big Bends is 0.5 cc, also for $9 . The tip of the 20 cc plunger also features a fine tipped point, perfect for application in fret slots. This substance is good for lubricating all sorts of mechanical hinges.
  13. xmd5a

The key word is "hysteresis", otherwise known as hang-up. If the friction is high enough to hold the string, but low enough to allow the string to occasionally slip, you get variable difference in tension across the bridge and or nut. The easiest fix, imo, is to widen the nut slots so that the...
  14. xmd5a

How will a Jazzmaster trem change the sound?

I know from having added and removed a "buzz stop" from my Jazzmaster that the trem definately sucks a lot of sustain out of the guitar, the buzz stop restores it by puttinf more downward tension on the bridge. I think the result would be the same with this guitar. Why not use a Bigsby? You...
  15. xmd5a

Best Guitar For Ambient

Yeah its the scale length that makes it more than the string pitch or tuning. For standard guutar guage wire to work with the Bass VI you might have to tie a little extra string to the B and high E string to reach the tuning posts.