Search results

1. xmd5a

Super cheap optical compressor pedals

Here's a gut shot of the Orange Kongpressor The same sort of optocoupler appears to be used, seen at the bottom of the pic. It's branded "Xvive" where as ther cheap pedal's feature the same looking optocoupler without any branding, just a single dot to indicate orientation. This is a...
  2. xmd5a

FWIW, I like trying to fix the cheap pedals because I know that of I ruin a trace or burn it up, it will have been low stakes and a minimal loss. In that respect, I think of them as being both cheaper to buy as well as repair. If a pedal costs $300, I'll still try to repair it anyway, just...
  3. xmd5a

I'd think more in these terms if the price difference wasn't close to 1000%
  4. xmd5a

Editing a mistaken statement is like attempting to erase history. Better to leave the mistake, add the correction after, so as to not hide the fact of the mistake.
  5. xmd5a

The Orange Kongpressor might be your friend in that case, it really kicks up the bottom. Suddenly you feel your strumming in the souls of your shoes. The Diamond and all of it's clones sound more like flat studio style compressors.
  6. xmd5a

What I've come to find with the clones, not just these but a lot of them, is the schematics involve somewhere between fifty and a hundred caps and resistors, and that there is a non-zero error rate in the cloning of the pedals, even if they get the the traces perfect, and the variations cause...
  7. xmd5a

Joyo Baatsin

I think I just figured out why the tone control on the T.808 is so funky; according to this blog analysis https://www.electrosmash.com/tube-screamer-analysis Tube Screamers use a "G taper pot", a pot sweep with a linear middle and log ends. The strengeness of the tone control with the T.808...
  8. xmd5a

Joyo Baatsin

That can muddy the water though. Take the Timmy for example, the bass control is pre-clipping, the treble is post-clipping. Where do you put a mid control? There would be some creative license involved that I suspect would disappoint. I think that's what happened with the Baatsin, it looks like...
  9. xmd5a

Joyo Baatsin

I just received this pedal. First thing is immediately apparent; the cloned sounds are different enough from the real thing that I'd hesitate to say any are faithful clones. The real BB Preamp and the Timmy have treble and bass controls, this has a single tone knob. I compared it to a real BB...
  10. xmd5a

Mosky MM Silver Booster

The circuit board pretty clearly looks like a Timmy setup, but the component values probably differ. I have two Tiimmy clones, the MM Silver and the Pure Sky. I traced the Pure Sky, but didn't check the component values. I plotted the Pure Sky and the MM Silver, and they have very different...
  11. xmd5a

NUX Core Loop Deluxe

I love how Nux pedals sound, the Drive Core and Boost Core are awesome, but the enclosures are not very reliable.
  12. xmd5a

Caline Pure Sky Gut Shot

Using this Timmy schematic as reference https://manticorefx.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/fbc77-tream2ed5.png?w=627 I it's clear that this is a Timmy clone. I can't make out the values of the surface mounted components, but the topology looks very much the same. The op amp is a JRC 4580...
  13. xmd5a

Caline Pure Sky Gut Shot

If there is such a thing, I can't find it. I just googled it again for good measure and, as matters of fact, this here post I just created is the only one to come up on TGP...
  14. xmd5a

Caline Pure Sky Gut Shot

Yeah the Timmy is similarly light weight, I'm looking at this thread https://manticorefx.wordpress.com/2017/10/26/timmy-versions/ . It's ironic or not that this rather simple circuit is so much more satisfying than many dozens I've tried that have a lot more going on under the hood. I guess the...
  15. xmd5a

Caline Pure Sky Gut Shot

I took apart a Caline Pure Sky and shot some pics of the board. I'm curious to know if this might be a Timmy clone. I'll try my best to figure it out on my own, but maybe someone else can tell just be glancing at it. This is easily my favorite OD pedal, it matches what is said about the Timmy...
  16. xmd5a

$22 optical compressor I played with it for about an hour. I think it's essentially an Diamond clone, but maybe someone could look at the gut shot below and opine. It uses the same sort of optical relay. It also works very much the same in terms of controls; the attack is very dry, the decay...
  17. xmd5a

Lambertones vs Lollar vs Rocketfire Strat pickups?

Honest to god, I've bought dozens of pickups, and I consider the 57/62 to be the apex set. ~6.0k DC resistance for all three pickups, none of that "balanced set" nonsense. AlNiCo 5, original stagger, no RW/RP. IMO the 57/62 set is by itself what boutique makers strive to achieve. If you like...
  18. xmd5a

Your favorite 4-knob overdrive

A friend of mine compared a real Zendrive to the Taichi. What happened was he bought a used Zendrive, I bought a new Taichi, and it was a friendly competition to see whose sounded better. The Taichi has more head room and more presence. Highly recommended. The LED light show these new Joyo...
  19. xmd5a

Your favorite 4-knob overdrive

The Caline Pure Sky, only ~$30. There's some debate about whether it's a Timmy clone, my guess is that it's not, because the controls are different in various respects, but it fits the description of a Timmy tone-wise. It's a super clear boost / overdrive that I leave on all the time. I've...
  20. xmd5a

As a matter of fact the pedal in question is the Nux Drive Core I can hear the cheapness of the toggle switch when the guy demo'ing it steps on the pedal, it sounds like a toothpick snapping, but I love the tone, when people talk about "sparkling" overdrive, this is 100% what I'm hearing in my...
  21. xmd5a

I agree partially; I've bought about fifty tp sixty Chinese pedals over the past five years, I think about four of them have failed in a way that a premium $100+ pedal would not have. I don't think they're cheap by necessity, it's that they just didn't put R&D into a durable design in the first...
  22. xmd5a

Someone else also corrected me in another post. It was an honest mistake on my part. Hand wired pedals are coveted and often fetch high prices, I wouldn't consider it a ding on Diamond's reputation had this been their product. I'm sorry you feel so strongly about it.
  23. xmd5a

I suspect that if two Chinese pedals have all the same controls in the same place, it's probably the same under the hood, too. They're all about producing imitations. Or they might reuse the same schematics but change some electrical values around, because I've used apparent clones, and they...
  24. xmd5a

Thanks, it looks like this is using the same sort of Vactrol optocoupler as the Chinese pedals, but this one has info printed on it, while the ones in the Chinese pedals have no markings other than a painted on dot, which must indicate which side is which.
  25. xmd5a

Questions about the Memory Man...

UPDATE, I've had the Memory Man TT-1100 for a couple weeks now, and it really is all that. What I like the most about it, I'm sure owes to the analogue nature, the repeats are darker than the dry signal, the bass and treble and attack are all heavily attenuated. The repeats have a really nice...