Search results

1. T

Better guitar for country rock....LP or 335?

No, no it's not. I think the only phrase that makes me want to punch more babies is "bouji". Gretsch was making electric guitars a decade before Leo put out his electric plank. If anything the Tele is trying to mimic that Gretsch sound. Almost.
  2. T

Better guitar for country rock....LP or 335?

No, no it's not. I think the only phrase that makes me want to punch more babies is "bouji". Gretsch was making electric guitars a decade before Leo put out his electric plank. If anything the Tele is trying to mimic that Gretsch sound. Almost.
  3. T

These Les Paul issues threads made me realize I have a special problem with LP's.

After mine was stolen I no longer had a Special, and only one Les Paul too. :eek: Well with Christmas monies in hand I rectified that situation... And the family will be back up to three; my '71 LP Std, my 2013 SG Std, and this. I've barely played at all in a very-very long time. Gonna set...
  4. T

GUITAR CABLES

While I am not going to use them for a guitar to board/amp run that is gonna see a lot of movement and flexing, I love them for pedal board interconnects and board to fx loop/amp runs.
  5. T

SG versus Les Paul (which do you prefer?)

I have a Pure 90 bridge, T-Armond neck. Man, every tone that guitar puts out is stellar.
  6. T

Which tone is that? ;)
  7. T

But mine has single coils.
  8. T

Low resonance guitars

No, Les Pauls are not good for this. Properly set up and outfitted with quality pickups/electronics they are very expressive and dynamic guitars. High performance dynamic systems generally are at their optimal when functioning on the extreme edge of their range of stability . What you are...
  9. T

Anyone experienced a big reversal of opinion on a guitar type?

I've always loved Strats, but had a hard time making them work for me the first few years I had mine. Neck and middle positions, loved them. 2 & 4, they sounded like they should mostly. The bridge however, not so much so. Then I swapped in some Gold Lace Sensors, and I could not be happier...
  10. T

What would you do to make this guitar sound all Jimmy Pagey?

Listen to the songs, play along with them incessantly till you nail every nuance, then worry about your electronics. Once you can do the former you will realize the latter is only maybe 5% of the equation.
  11. T

How do you prefer your action? Can you deal with fret buzz?

I prefer the neck as close to dead straight as possible, with the action set moderately, not slide high, but definitely not low. I use heavy strings, thick picks (1.5-2.0 mm), and play pretty aggressively at times.
  12. T

Someone explain to me why people think fretboard material impacts tone.

My experience is pretty much the same. Maple and Ebony both are brighter and snappier, more bass and treble, Rosewood smoother, warmer, more midrange.
  13. T

I don't understand D'Angelico's strategy

Considering D'Angelico supposedly turned away Les Paul from his New York shop because he refused to build the guitar Les Paul wanted and put the D'Angelico name on it, I highly doubt he would share your view, or desire his name on a budget entry level import. I think in fact, that if his hat did...
  14. T

NGD X 2

Congrats, those are beautiful. I totally need to get a new Special.
  15. T

NGD X 2

A P90 Les Paul Special and an LP Standard are even less similar than a regular Tele and a Thinline Deluxe. They are the same in general outline, and that is about it. My P90 Special sounded closer to my SG than it did my LP Standard, even when using the bridge P90 on any of them. The SG has a...
  16. T

What do you love most about your Les Paul?

This. I paid $450 in 1989 for my '71 Std. That one and my '87 Amer Std Strat will always be home to me.
  17. T

PU question

If you want bright, clear, and twangy it's gonna be hard to top a 50's wind Lollar, but it is not gonna be noiseless, that is for sure. Don't stress so much about them being "noiseless", because often imo that equals toneless. They are not true single coils, and never quite capture the depth...
  18. T

I really hate the color of a gold top

I would take the Gold Top everyday, based on my P90 love alone. Hopefully it is a neck repair/restoration piece so I don't kill the value shaving it down to match the neck profile on my '71 Std, which has the most perfect neck (for me) I've ever played. I am with you on the range of Gold Tops too.
  19. T

I really hate the color of a gold top

Lol, another absolutist affirmation post. Good for you. There is no particular finish/color I absolutely across the board cannot stand, though there are many specific executions of finishes that leave me flat. Depends on the guitar and how well (subjectively) it is done. Case in point, I am...
  20. T

Do heavier guitars *REALLY* sustain longer?

I prefer turning up the volume on my amp and slamming that with a boost, but to each their own.
  21. T

Favourite Guitar Tone?

Thanks man, I've been fortunate enough to see quite a few good shows, so many I forgot to add... Rudolph Shenker and Mattias Jabbs of the Scorpions at Monsters of Rock Eddie Van Halen's tone at that show was pretty damn good too, even if he was no longer playing Marshalls. Marc Robinson of...
  22. T

Are most guitar mods pointless?

Lol, no. Pickup adjustments, swaps, wiring schemes, coil taps, treble bleeds, etc... all definitely can illicit quite noticeable differences. Locking tuners are nice for some, I personally prefer to wrap the strings at the post so they self lock. Titanium screws otoh, puh-lease. My Strat has...
  23. T

Favourite Guitar Tone?

Wow, so hard to chose any 10 just from the live shows I've seen alone, not even considering live albums and studio albums My first concert was David Bowie, with Peter Frampton playing guitar on the Glass Spider tour, and both of them had spectacular tones. David Gilmour on the Momentary Lapse...