Search results

1. xmd5a

How to fix this dent on a fret

I meant to say filing just the dented fret. Dented frets are an eternal problem, until everyone switches to stainless steel.
  2. xmd5a

Surprised there isn’t more discussion about Virgil Arlo pickups on TGP.

Someone at SD knew we were a gullible lot, but took it a cryo treatment too far.
  3. xmd5a

Why vintage pickups are generally (considered) better?

No, because that would have to assume that most vintage guitars have aftermarkets pickups, and if this were the case, any vintage guitar dealer could attest to that. It's generally known that only a small number of guitarists ever bother to swap pickups out, and that's evidenced by, for example...
  4. xmd5a

The pickup maker set out to create a magic pickup. And he succeeds, it is because the pickup is actually special? No, it's because he wanted a magic pickup, and all it really takes for that dream to come true is sheer will power. If he wants it to be magic, then it is magic. Beauty is in the eye...
  5. xmd5a

No, this is snake oil also. The winding will affect the capacitance by maybe 50 picofarads. A guitar cable alone will add around 500 or more picofarads. If what you're describing was important, then vintage and/or scatterwinding differences that are claimed to exist would be lost or gained...
  6. xmd5a

Things are different, but often times differences doesn't matter. A common phrase "everything makes a difference". No, not everything makes a difference. Some things are below the threshold of perceptibility. You're talking about the insulation on the magnet wire. The only difference that...
  7. xmd5a

About the claim that old pickups were good because they were microphonic. They could just add a microphone to pickups if they wanted. Why don't they? About the claim that they sounded better because they were hand wound, the revered PAF has ALWAYS been machine wound. And no, the way the wire is...
  8. xmd5a

How do you know it was the pickups? There's a more plausible explanation in general; the advent of master volumes, the replacement of power tube saturation with pre amp clipping.
  9. xmd5a

Joe Bonamassa Signature Bonnie Strat Pickup Set....Sound good.

Alnico IV isn't vintage correct. Other than that, specs are identical to Fender 57/62s, which do have vintage correct Alnico V
  10. xmd5a

Introducing a "dummy" coil to strat-type to reduce "hum"??

The Illitch coil is the best. None are perfect. The impedance of any dummy coil will inevitably load the pickup. The only no-BS way to go is probably EMGs, a set that is vintage voiced.
  11. xmd5a

What do you think of a Strat with a blender pot?

People who favor blender pots seem to have an aversion to push-pull pots. I love B+N on a Strat, but I think keeping it stock and using a push pull pot, is a lot more usable. I don't think "blending" ever really works out all that well.
  12. xmd5a

How important are cables?

Line 6 and Boss make awesome wireless units, not the mention the cheaps on Amazon for $40. Those things murdered the premium cable market. Or they should have.
  13. xmd5a

But you're just talking about the the virtue of a low output pickup in this case. Conflating vintage with low output is only going to cause further confusion. Some vintage pickups, such as P-90's have always had a high inductance. The word you used was "natural". Maybe you think you're using...
  14. xmd5a

That's how I felt when I got a Deluxe Reverb; my first though "this sounds amazing", my second thought "this is that sound I've heard forever, and never quite got from any other amp." It's a ubiquitous tone, and therefore a very tone. I wish this wasn't how it was, but it's out of my hands.
  15. xmd5a

Nobody needs vintage gear to get that, though. A Strat or a Les Paul are already vintage instruments. People get so wrapped up in the minutia that they overlook the fact that there's no meaningful difference between an American Standard and an actual vintage Strat. In the quest to make sure...
  16. xmd5a

Things that are genuinely better than another thing, never lack for adjectives. Prius vs Pinto. iPhone vs flip phone. Right, they always sound "warmer" of course. A description of temperature.
  17. xmd5a

Talk about how people who own vintage gear talk it up to increase it's worth, this language screams of that. Want to know the magic of vintage? Visit a vintage guitar dealer today! Salesmen are standing by! When people use terms like "something special" to describe sound, that should set off...
  18. xmd5a

Modern microphones and speakers are a lot better than the vintage equivalents, why the bias in favor of vintage pickups when it comes to component quality? A lot of the justification is that it was less perfect, the flaws gave it character, we'll they make pickups with all the same flaws...
  19. xmd5a

There's the rub, it's not possible to audition many guitar pickups. Even if the vendor has a favorable return policy, installing them is enough of a hassle that it's easier to simply change the way you feel about them, perhaps decide that you really like them, than to actually remove them and...
  20. xmd5a

Guitar pickups don't have dynamics. Dynamic range is the loudest potential above the noise floor. It could be argued that humbuckers are more dynamic for the fact of having a lower noise floor, but the upper bound is only limited by how hard you can hit the strings. There is only one way for a...
  21. xmd5a

I don't think they're hunting for a sound so much as an experience. The experience is "installing luxurious boutique pickups", it's like an event unto itself. Is it hard to imagine that installing a set of Lollars or Fralins feels more special than install some OriPure $20 pickups from Amazon...
  22. xmd5a

It's sort of like a pyramid scheme. If you get duped into buying a crappy old guitar for $5k, it will only remain a $5k guitar if someone else get's duped also, a potential future buyer. If the total number of dupes falls, the prices will fall, too. This is what is happening with bitcoin...
  23. xmd5a

This is all marketing magic. The boutique market started with Fender et el replacing vintage spec pickups with plastic molded pickups, and pickups with ceramic bars and steel pole pieces. People with American Standards wanted vintage looking pickups, and people with MIM Fenders wanted actual...
  24. xmd5a

How to fix this dent on a fret

I had to deal with this when my guitar fell flat on it's face, and the G string put a gouge in one of the frets. I don't recommend any fret leveling for a dent, because that will make the entire fret lower, and increase the chance of buzz. Someone mentioned solder, but solder is a PITA to...
  25. xmd5a

Be Glad Mesa is in Gibson's Family and not FMIC

One person's defiled is another mans affordable. I have a few Fender re-issues, and they've been good. Mesa Boogie has a strong brand image, a lot of people would throw some money there way if they offered an amp that fit their paycheck. Orange, Vox and Marshall have also figured out how to...