Search results

1. xmd5a

So apparently the JCM 900 Dual Reverb sucks

I got one a long time ago on the cheap because it was highly discounted, for obvious reasons. I also have a a JCM-2000 DSL, and a TSL, and a JVM 410C and spent time with a 410H, no time with older Marshalls, but the JCM-900 DR pushes harder. I lie to myself and say the new ones are just as good...
  2. xmd5a

5e3 alternate speaker options, trying to pull back the mids

Does anyone know if you can put a speaker rated for 70 watts in a 12 watt 5e3, without causing ? According to this article, it's OK to high a higher wattage on the speaker, but this is a wattage mismatch of almost 5 times, so I'm not so sure. In general I like high wattage speakers, even thought...
  3. xmd5a

I have several blackface's, including a '68 Custom Deluxe and Custom Dual Reverb with the stock Celestion speakers, and I love how that speaker sounds. I don't know if that was a common mod, but Fender chose wisely IMO. It's not vintage correct, but it's super tight and the break up is fairly...
  4. xmd5a

I'll have to see what the story is with the Weber everyone is recommending. I'm sure it's the speaker / cab combo, because I tried connecting each amp to the other to rule that out. It might be that two speakers weighs on the baffle more heavily, or that the wider sound box reduces the resonant...
  5. xmd5a

I put together a 2x12 5e3 with P12Q16's in parallel, because I also have a 1x12 with a P12Q8 which sounds really great. What I loved about the 1x12 5e3 with the P12Q8 is that it had a good low end and brightness for a small, 12 watt amp, but this 2x12 is more mid-rangey. It's a hard amp to...
  6. xmd5a

do any of you guitar players that gig pretty regular use a solid state amp?

The current modeling amps all sound very good. This question seems like it must have come from the 90's. Now the question is more like "are you embarrassed to be seen on stage with any amp designed after 1990?"
  7. xmd5a

Steve Vai going back to his roots...

I don't understand how it is that Marshalls supposedly all sound like Marshalls, even though their different models have a smorgasbord of different circuit layouts. I'm not saying it isn't the way it is, but I don't understand how it can be so.
  8. xmd5a

New (2019) Fender Tonemaster Deluxe and Tonemaster Twin

It's quite a bit larger and heavier than a Deluxe, and slightly smaller than a Super Reverb, by about 10lbs and 1 inch in both directions. But the Tweed Bassman is also easier to carry in part because it has that nice leather handle rather that is to grip.
  9. xmd5a

Good clean Blackstar heads?

I'm borrowing a friend's Blackstar Artist 30 2x12 combo, and the clean sound of that amp is really killer. It's a good "pedal platform", and it has a legitimate sparkle to it. The amp isn't high gain at all, it's really great at what it does. I'm thinking of acquiring a Blackstar head, are any...
  10. xmd5a

A '59 Tweed Bassman would be a good one to emulate, it's a bit heavy, but it's also the proto-Marshall, a classic rock amp, great for blues, really great tone stack. The thing is, it has a real distinctive crunch, the one that went on to become the "Marshall" sound. They would really have to...
  11. xmd5a

Wouldn't that be an omission on Fender's part that the reissue doesn't sound like the vintage examples? Maybe they just made the TMTR sound more subjectively pleasant than either the original or the reissue. Sort of like New Coke, add some extra ear sugar. A lot of people say the sweet spot of...
  12. xmd5a

IMO, much of the sound of a DR or a Twin owes to the pine cab, the geometry of the box and it's open back, and that's why modelers like the Mustang can't quite get it perfect, they have to approximate those qualities. If anything, the Tone Masters probably require less compensation, having to...
  13. xmd5a

The reason they're priced so high isn't so much market demand, because the price was set before they hit the market. It's because the SF/BF line is one of Fender's greatest trademarked assets, and surely they can't risk diluting the value of that asset by giving those amps away for free. IOW...
  14. xmd5a

20 Watts is All You Really Need, Right?

As has been said before, it's about head room, not loudness. I use 100 watt amps in order to get the most ideal pedal platform. I love low wattage amps, but they don't typically make the best pedal platform at drummer volumes.
  15. xmd5a

I'm not necessarily saying they're priced too high, because supply and demand is at work, I'm saying that some other company besides Fender, such as Korg, should take the hint and create more specialized modeling amps that look the part of a famous old tube amp, because that's why people are...
  16. xmd5a

The JC-120 is highly coveted amp in its own right, probably the most famous SS guitar of them all. IMO it's ballsy of Fender to price match the JC-120 with a modeling amp.
  17. xmd5a

If that's the case, why isn't every 2x12 SS amp $1000?
  18. xmd5a

I've owned five different models of Fender Mustang amps, and I disagree. And yet you're quoting retail prices to make a point about wholesale costs. How do you figure that makes any sense?
  19. xmd5a

I've used attenuators with a lot of non-master amps, and for many of them, the lack of actual volume is a deal breaker. Attenuated, they sound overly noisy or excessively fizzy. But the same is not true of the Deluxe Reverb, it sounds amazing with attenuation. It has that crunchy sound with...
  20. xmd5a

So that's $500 for the digital amp alone. Wow. "Peanuts" is your choice of words, not one I used. Many low priced modeling amps do sound killer, though, including the Fender Mustang GT 200.
  21. xmd5a

The markup on the Tone Master's must be insane, but they can get away with it because the black face amps are so highly coveted. I won't consider them if for no other reason than the value sucks, but also when you buy a black face I think authenticity for its own sake is much of what we're...
  22. xmd5a

Roland Jazz Chorus - can you get the same goodness with other amps?

A friend of mine scored a little JC-40 in mint condition from a garage sale. I'd never tried and Jazz Chorus, and wow, the spacial chorus was amazing. It's clearly the sound of 80's chorus, a real time machine of an amp. Here's the thing, I've used stereo amp setups with stereo effects. I even...
  23. xmd5a

Super Reverb tone stack cap value changes

I usually jam with just a drummer for fun, so I go for amps that I can get a thump low end out of. A lot of the famous clean amps wont do it, but the 59 Bassman RI and Twin Reverb deliver thud no problem. The idea is just to get the bass control to ramp up the low end with bringing a mid range...
  24. xmd5a

That seems to work pretty good, thanks for suggesting that. I could put a 500k trim in place of or in series with the 100k R1 and get a lot of variety in the low end.
  25. xmd5a

I ordered a Sovtek SS rectifier, I like a glassy attack too. I have a 4x10 59 Bassman RI, it sounds incredible all around, I love the tone stack, as well as the results of changing to an SS rectifier. I'm a little surprised the SR was not a little more like it out of the box. I think all the...