Search results

1. les_paul

Most important features for a recording computer?

Thanks for the info! I currently have a Scarlett 2i2 USB interface but I'm open to building around the computer if I need to. Maybe the more appropriate question is where should I spend bigger money?
  2. les_paul

Are the cheap Boss patch cables bad?

I have had several of them in service for about 12 years now.
  3. les_paul

Most important features for a recording computer?

I'm moving towards home recording and I'm looking to buy a computer to do so. What are the most important features/minimum requirements to track guitars, bass, vocals, and digital drums from a program like EZ Drummer? I'm not currently looking to track other people; just myself at home.
  4. les_paul

Guitar Center Trade in

I'm actually thinking about going premium here. It's safer than Craigslist, eBay, and Reverb at this point. I'm just tired of getting burned by PayPal's 180 day dispute policy. Will it sit longer here? Probably. At least it's a little easier to control sales here though.
  5. les_paul

Gibson buying Mesa

What about the poorly designed DSLs and TSLs where the boards became conductive when they got hot? I'd hardly say an amp that can't make it through a gig without dropping in volume is user error when it was clearly poorly designed.
  6. les_paul

Gibson buying Mesa

True, maybe some of the engineers could easily go but the assembly workers are probably pretty rooted where they are. The bay isn't exactly swimming in amp companies after all.
  7. les_paul

Gibson buying Mesa

This is encouraging for several reasons. A) It confirms Randy is semi retired. B) It shows there is a new pool of engineering talent. C) It displays an optimistic view from the employees. D) It addresses overseas distribution which is great news for our European and Asian friends. We have...
  8. les_paul

If you could only own ONE guitar for the rest of your life...

Probably my JP6 with piezo.
  9. les_paul

Gibson buying Mesa

...both?
  10. les_paul

Gibson buying Mesa

Solid cabs indeed.
  11. les_paul

Gibson buying Mesa

Fair enough. At this point for tube amps it's probably getting the right combination of feature sets more than anything. Since there has been such little true innovation the competition has been much stiffer, especially in the past 5-10 years.
  12. les_paul

Gibson buying Mesa

Fluff made an interesting point in his live stream: what has Mesa truly innovated in the past 20 years? Don't get me wrong, I love my Mesas. They've added features to amps but haven't created anything on the level of simul-class in some time.
  13. les_paul

Gibson buying Mesa

My bad; a few years ago they rebooted their hybrid amps. Must not have been a success.
  14. les_paul

What is the smallest number of pedals you need to do (almost*) everything you do?

When I played originals I went straight into a Boogie Mark IV with a tuner in the FX loop. I left it on and just used the loop bypass function. Playing covers? Woof...a drive, a chorus, and a delay gets it done for the most part.
  15. les_paul

Gibson buying Mesa

When I was in the game there were certain requirements. You had to always have in stock (again in my day; things have changed) a Dual Rec and 4x12, a Lone Star, a Mark IV, a bass rig, and then x number of dollars of inventory on hand.
  16. les_paul

Gibson buying Mesa

Margins on Mesa are ungodly slim too. It's tough to make even 30% after freight.
  17. les_paul

Gibson buying Mesa

MAP is just minimum advertised price. They can sell it below if they want, they just can't advertise it. Mesa has yanked dealerships for selling below their pro net pricing and for shipping outside of a territory prior to allowing Sweetwater to do so. Their business practices have largely...
  18. les_paul

Gibson buying Mesa

Having worked for a Mesa dealer they definitely want dealers to be able to carve out a territory. I believe that there couldn't be two dealers within 100 miles. I'll be interested to see if that changes. There are two Gibson dealers in a nearby town within a half mile and at one point there...
  19. les_paul

Orange Amplification Owners Thread

I picked up a Dark Terror for the hell of it. I thought it was a bit fizzy and harsh so I put an EQ in the loop first. It got me mostly what I wanted. To get the rest of the way there I put 12AU7 in V1. It takes a lot of gain out of it and gives a classic type feel to it with plenty of gain...
  20. les_paul

Gibson buying Mesa

Primarily that Gibson won't let them operate as they do today. I hope they don't start any "budget lines" of amps beyond their current lunch box offerings. Also, we probably won't know ANYTHING until Randy fully exits so it could be years before we know if this is good or bad. A lot of people...
  21. les_paul

Gibson buying Mesa

Interesting; I am a Gibson guy but I'm not a fan of this deal.
  22. les_paul

Very loud hum from Tone King Gremlin?

No gut shots? Also, I get a similar effect on mine if I run it into an AB switch and run to another amp. Could it be one of the input jacks?
  23. les_paul

Strictly FUZZ

Somehow this thread has escaped me. My "audition" board (used to try out new pedals in odd combinations) has a few staples in the FZ-2 and also the Abominable Electronics Hail Satan Deluxe. One of my all time faves is the HBE UFO with octave mode off (I believe a Tone Machine). I have a lot...
  24. les_paul

Your Go-To amp when shopping for guitars?

Pretty much don't care. Sometimes I may not even plug in. Playability is king to me.
  25. les_paul

Gibson buying Mesa

Pretty laughable.