Search results

1. Ayan

Fast picking across strings

Dear Sensei! :) Here's MY two cents on the whole TG thing. First and foremost, until I watched TG's videos when he first started out many years ago, I'd never even stopped to consciously look at pick slanting (or lack thereof) or organization of lines a la EJ/Yngwie/GB to make string changes...
  2. Ayan

The best lesson on improv you will find. Peter Farell content

Yes, there is a ton on info. I'm also grateful I'm working, but I'm not driving and in L.A. that means that I have a couple of extra hours a day every single day. :)
  3. Ayan

That bottom one is the Db dim scale and is obviously different than the C dim scale I mentioned. You say GB plays that over a D7... going to the I chord, I presume? What follows was also pointed out to me by Ed yesterday, so I am not taking credit for it. The C dim scale -- to me, as I wrote...
  4. Ayan

Tag, the scale is the same (C dim VS D dom dim). Funny thing as Ed and I were chatting about that yesterday. The D dom dim suggests you'll be playing off the V, so off the D#/F#/A/C dim arpeggios. The other family of diminished chords within the same scale is C#/E/G/A#, which Ed referred to as...
  5. Ayan

Congrats, birthday boy-- now for real. :) Check your inbox here.
  6. Ayan

Tag, PF said that all the videos from the lessons will be up for the entire duration - six months in my case, when the group kicks off. So you definitely wouldn’t have to watch them live.
  7. Ayan

Tag, this is from the horse’s mouth. You can download the videos - as Ed said, there is more than one way to do that and I learned one by watching a 1 minute YT video. What Peter has asked is that those videos not be posted or shared outside of the group. In his two GB experience marathons-...
  8. Ayan

Well, I agree with you, Tag. One thing to maybe think about is that some of us had been at this (i.e., the guitar) for "a few" decades before arriving at that inevitable conclusion. Other folks may be at an earlier stage in their journey. Also, I'll add that while many players can make anything...
  9. Ayan

George Benson method, Peter Farrell

That's it then. Just contacted Amazon and cancelled the order for your birthday gift - a never before released version of "Politician" by RF. :D
  10. Ayan

Damn FB, it's your business' birthday then! :) Think positive, you got to be right one extra day. G.
  11. Ayan

Briliant! :D
  12. Ayan

C'mon Ed, it's Tag's birthday. :) HBD Tag! G.
  13. Ayan

I was going to suggest the same thing as Ed, Tag. All the PF lines I've been going over are really hip and quite a few are recognizable, e.g., the chromatic ending of Weekend in LA, one of Benson's favorite maj7/min7b5 combo 6-tuplet lines over dominant chords that he has used on just about...
  14. Ayan

Part of the beauty of that video is that you would think BG has no idea of of what he’s doing. But that’s because maybe he couldn’t articulate it in a way that at least I could understand. But yet, it is clear beyond any doubt that he knows exactly what he’s doing. He’s got it all figured out...
  15. Ayan

Please Help? High E String Chokes Out when Bending

Based on everything you've said -- frets leveled (assuming the neck was straight when you did this) and crowned, neck with small amount o relief, 12" radius, etc. -- one thing you might be looking at is having a hump on the neck. You can check for that with a long straight edge sitting on the...
  16. Ayan

Effects Loop and Cable Spaghetti

This works for me: http://www.pedalpython.com/Home_Page.html I run 5 cables through it: (1) Pedalboard to amp's front end; (2) Amp's FX send to pedalboard FX in; (3) Pedalboard FX out to amp's FX return; (4) Pedalboard AC cord; (5) Amp's channel switcher cable. Set up and tear down is a...
  17. Ayan

Tension woes: 335 is ... hard to play.

I'm curious about what you will end up finding out. One thing I've not heard mentioned is the string height at the nut, have you checked for that? An old test you can try is to fret each string at the 3rd fret and look for minimal clearance between the bottom of the string and the top of the...
  18. Ayan

Dumbleator... how hard is it to build one?

I also wonder, to this day, why Dumble used a 250K send pot in the Dumbleator. As far as the effects of that choice, the worst-case scenario would be with the SEND pot dialed in at 50%. You get 125K in series and another 125K to ground, and since the output impedance of the CF itself is much...
  19. Ayan

New Pedal Python for My Pedalboard

It's a pedalboard interface box. In my case, the signal chain is: Guitar -> INPUT -> Tuner -> Wah -> Volume -> All Dirt -> OUT=== SEND -> Chorus -> Delay-> Reverb -> RETURN -> Amp's input. If you don't plug anything into the OUT and SEND jacks on the box, the signal gets patched between them...
  20. Ayan

New Pedal Python for My Pedalboard

Over time, I started taking advantage of backline equipment when available and using more pedals, and so my rack shrunk and my pedalboard grew. My pedalboards are set up with a send/return patchbay to put time-based effects in an amp’s FX loop if so desired, but set up and tear down using the...
  21. Ayan

Gibson Memphis 335 - electronics question

Totally agreed. Going through the F-holes will probably get the edge of the hole scraped and the paint (black, usually) chipped. Going through the bridge pickup route works. One thing I have done to 335s, whenever I've pulled the guts out, is to add a star lock washer to the input jack. For...
  22. Ayan

Rick Beato

I enjoyed this very much, thanks for sharing it.
  23. Ayan

Show Your Pedalboard: 2019 Edition

At least not in my case, David just added the sticker on top.
  24. Ayan

Balancing tone between downstrokes and upstrokes

As someone already stated, the angle(s) of the pick with respect to the string will have a huge effect on the tone. In my experience, with the pick more perpendicular to the string, it is possible to get a mellower tone with less attack -- it's not an automatic thing, however -- and get up and...
  25. Ayan

Show Your Pedalboard: 2019 Edition

Large and small boards, May 2019 version, looking more similar than ever and hopefully staying unchanged for some time to come.