Search results

1. mmcquain

Orlando Guitar Show 2016

As the northeast was riding out the great blizzard this past Saturday I was looking at guitars at the 2016 Orlando Guitar Show. This year's show was missing some familiar faces (e.g., the guys with the BeatBuddy drum machine pedal, Rick Derringer and Warrior Guitars, Drew Berlin, etc.). With...
  2. mmcquain

Happy 99th Birthday Les Paul...

Hard to believe he is no longer with us. His legacy of music, technology, and a certain favorite guitar, lives on Here's a few clips to help us remember the genius of Les Paul... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW1FYKyk2L4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdnj8f9Ii6Q...
  3. mmcquain

KISS makes it to the R-n-R Hall of Fame

It's official... KISS has made it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rock-hall-2014-kiss-peter-gabriel-linda-ronstadt/
  4. mmcquain

Re: 42 Years Gone... RIP Duane Allman

One of the worst days in rock history as we lost SkyDog at age 24. But what a legacy he left behind. I got to see the Allmans play on the 20th anniversary of his death (10-29-91) in Tampa and it was a hell of a great show. They never actually mentioned it but the date and Duane's memory...
  5. mmcquain

Happy Birthday Roy Buchanan

Leroy Buchanan, born 74 years ago on September 23, 1939, was perhaps more famous for his influence on other guitarists than what he achieved in his own career. This track, "The Messiah Will Come Again," had such an impact on Jeff Beck that Jeff dedicated his instrumental "Cause We've...
  6. mmcquain

Happy 88th Birthday BB King...

Today BB King turns 88 years old. He, along with Les Paul, are 2 American "Living Legends" that I've had a chance to meet a few times over the last 20 years. Sadly, Les is no longer with us but BB is still here and out on the road playing several hundred shows every year. In the last few...
  7. mmcquain

My latest project... FrankenStrat lives!

A while back I picked up a cheap Squier ProTone series Strat - one of the old blue ones that had turned a dark green over the years. For those of you who don't know about the ProTone series you should check them out if you're looking for a nice guitar at a decent price. They were only made...
  8. mmcquain

Need ideas for a battery powered amp for guitar and mic

My 30th reunion is this July and we'll be spending the afternoon in a pavilion (no electricity) by the river in a park before the dinner and evening activities. Several of us want to have a mini jam session/sing-a-long at the park and so I'm looking at some battery powered amp options...
  9. mmcquain

62 years later and the Tele is still going strong!

On April 23, 1951 (62 years ago) Clarence Leonidas Fender applied for a U.S. design patent after having “invented a new, original and ornamental design for a guitar." This design was to become known worldwide as the Fender Telecaster. Hard to believe it been over 60 years and his...
  10. mmcquain

The Moore/Green Burst NEW video...

Guitar Interactive Magazine has a cool story and even cooler video in their latest issue about the Green/Moore Burst. The video is NEW and has the current owner's "keeper" of the guitar playing it and talking about its history... Check out pages 50-51...
  11. mmcquain

This looks interesting... The Beat Buddy

Well this looks interesting... http://mybeatbuddy.com/ I can see this being a great practice tool and even a "plan B" for those times when your drummer can't make it... hey, it happens some Sundays playing at church!
  12. mmcquain

Orlando Guitar Show - Who is going?

Who all is planning to go to the Orlando guitar show next month? I'll be there on Saturday and would love to meet up with some fellow forum members. Maybe we could hit BB King's blues club (on I-Drive) to see a blues band or something afterwards. Here's the info on the guitar show...
  13. mmcquain

Need a Nashville type bridge to replace ABR-1

I recently swapped pickups and installed a new wiring kit in my Les Paul Custom. Well, while I'm the upgrade mode I thought it would be a good time to replace the gold ABR-1 that came stock on my Gibson CS-356. I prefer the Nashville type bridge on my Custom (yes, I know it isn't...
  14. mmcquain

28 guitars on stage playing at the same time

I must be insane (LOL) but Tuesday night we managed to get 28 middle schoolers from the guitar class I assist with to all play together on stage at the same time! The school's chorus winter concert included time for the guitar students to play a few selections - All 28 played Ode to Joy and...
  15. mmcquain

Rock's "Most Valuable Guitars" Hmmmm... what say you?

Interesting list (maybe most interesting for what's NOT on the list... no Page #1 or 2, no Pearly Gates, no Green/Moore LP, etc.) http://www.cnbc.com/id/47723379
  16. mmcquain

Fralin P92 pickups finally in my Les Paul Custom...

I have finally finished my pickup upgrade in my 2000 Les Paul Custom Premium Plus AAA honeyburst. This guitar, along with my 2004 Gibson CS-356, are my two "keepers" that I never plan to sell. The CS-356 has stock Classic 57 pickups for that classic humbucker sound. So I wanted something a...
  17. mmcquain

My pedalboard featured on EffectsBay.com this week...

Just found out that one of my guitar pedal boards is the featured one this week on the Effects Bay website. The site is a great resource for guitarists interested in expanding their sound via effects. Here's the link... http://www.effectsbay.com/2012/10/pedal-line-friday-1012-mike-mcquain/
  18. mmcquain

RIP - Paul Stanley's Mom

Very sorry to hear about the loss of Paul Stanley's mom, Eva Eisen, this past weekend. Our deepest sorry and prayers go out to him and his family right now. Peter's first wife, Lydia Criss (of "Beth" fame), posted this on her Facebook page yesterday... There’s been a loss in the Kiss family...
  19. mmcquain

Happy 87th Birthday B.B. King

This Sunday, September 16th, will be B.B. King's 87th birthday. I've had the honor of meeting B.B. a total of 3 times in my life and each time he has been the most humble, nice person you could ask for... sorta' the wise old grandfather that just loves to be around his "kids" (and that would be...
  20. mmcquain

My lucky day - Free Pedal Friday

It must be my lucky day... I just opened my email and was very happy (and surprised) to see that I had won the ProGuitarShop.com Free Pedal Friday contest this week... prize was the new PGS exclusive Alter Ego Delay pedal from TC Electronics (basically an updated Flashback with 2 extra...
  21. mmcquain

My latest guitar article just published online...

I just had another of my articles published online for guitar players looking to expand their musical opportunities. I hope you all enjoy it! http://gear-vault.com/think-outside-the-box-and-play-in-the-pit/
  22. mmcquain

Playing another Broadway-type show (anybody seen "Baby")...

So I just got the call today to play another Broadway style show at the city's performing arts center. I've done Little Shop of Horrors, Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat, and Wizard of Oz in years past (all shows I was familar with from the movie, etc.). This time they are doing a...
  23. mmcquain

Orlando Guitar Show January 20-22, 2012

So who is going to this year's guitar show in Orlando, FL this coming weekend? Dealer setup is Friday afternoon and then the show runs until Sunday. I'll be there on Saturday for a few hours. You can see the show details at: http://www.guitarexpo.net I've got pics I took at prior shows at...
  24. mmcquain

And in Skynyrd news...

First BB King opened several of his night clubs around the country, then Buddy Guy opened one in Chicago, and of course Sammy Hagar, Jimmy Buffett, etc. have had their own places for several years... Well on Dec. 8th Skynyrd opened their own Beer and BBQ joint in Vegas...
  25. mmcquain

NGD - Goldtop Les Paul with P90's

OK, I'm officially a "Gold Topper" now that I've got a 2011 Studio 60's Tribute. It is a great playing guitar and has been my main player for my weekly praise band gig for the last month or so. This Les Paul joins my Custom Premium Plus and my CS-356 as the third Gibson in my current...