Search results

1. W

Opinions on pickups for Schecter C-1 Plus

I just bought a Schecter C-1 Plus used that's in pristine shape and plays and feels like a dream, however, I'm not sure about the pickups. They sound very good on distortion (at low volume in my house), however, the clean tone sounds a little muddy in comparison to some of my other guitars but I...
  2. W

Pedal techs - what does this sound like to you?

Awhile back I traded a pedal with another forumite and got a Boss DD-20. It worked fine for a little bit then started having problems. Basically it will work for about 5 mins then just stops working. Doesn't matter if it's powered by battery or by the power supply; it does the same thing. Anyone...
  3. W

Unexpected surprise from D'Addario

I had to post this. My doorbell just rang and I got a unexpected surprise from D'Addario. They sent me 5 sets of strings after I posted a message about some disatisfaction I'd had (not just their brand but others as well) with strings stretching and not staying in tune lately. I thought maybe...
  4. W

Pedal Demos you can't believe you took the time to watch

here's mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oGH5PtVeKY&feature=related I got took...
  5. W

Nut files

I need to smooth out the grooves in my Les Paul's nut a little (it keeps catching even after I use graphite in the nut slots. I was wondering if anyone here could recommend some good nut cutting files. I know of Stewmac but they are pretty high though I'm sure they are probably some of the best...
  6. W

The Cars - just an appreciation thread

For some reason I've been watching old Car's videos lately and realized how good Elliot Easton really was. It didn't seem to matter how different the style of each song he always brought something really tasty to the table. Everything from his timing to his use of harmonic minor and C & W licks...
  7. W

Who thinks Digitech needs a new support website?

Visited their forum support site (Sound Community is what they call it) this morning and it looks like it was designed by a high school student, okay maybe freshman college student. I mean they have some great products. Why would they have such a horrible forum support website (IMO) that would...
  8. W

Sleeper pedals that are cheap

...other than the Bad Monkey. Saw a Delta Lab Rock Distortion pedal at GC the other day for $29 so I picked it up thinking I could mod it and make it sound better. Turns out it sounds as good as many of the other distortion pedals I have. My worship leader couldn't tell the difference between...
  9. W

The GT-10 doesn't sound bad

Now that I've learned how to dial in the HD500 and turn the knobs to where they sound the best instead of turning them to positions on amps and pedals like I've done in the past. I pulled out the ole GT-10 o set it up or one of our youths at church tonight and I got some very good useable tones...
  10. W

Recommend a crunchy plexi type distortion pedal

I have been trying to find a good focused, non-fuzzy (or as much as posibble) crunchy / plexi (doesn't have to sound just like a Plexi) overdrive / distortion pedal with a small footprint (MXR enclosure or just a little wider) to use for rhythm backing when playing live. I've looked at the...
  11. W

Lovepedal Superlead circuit experiment - improved tone

picked up a used Lovepedal Superlead this weekend and though it sounded pretty good but I didn't quite like the tone of the "Mids" when set to the right. I thought I could make it sound better by seeing what diodes were in there and swapping them out with some to my liking. When I opened it I...
  12. W

Wampler Plexi-Drive or Plextortion?

Pardon if this has been discussed ad nauseum but I'm trying to decide between two different pedals - the Wampler Plexi-Drive or Plextortion. Both have similar characteristics and I'm aware the Plextortion has more gain on tap and more EQ controls. My question is for people who either own both or...
  13. W

This guy didn't take no for an answer

They told him there was no way he would ever be able to pay a guitar but he didn't listen. He plays better than some us that have hands... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuIkrsdrJLY&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  14. W

Opinions on Gretsch Pro Jet

Found a decent deal on a Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet gold top with Bigsby trem. Just wondered what your opinions and experiences are. I like the sound of filtertrons and thought it would be a decent guitar for P & W. Currently using a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro and thought the Pro Jet...
  15. W

What each player does just from looking at a photo

Don't know if you guys do this but I like to make a little game of looking at band promo pics and guessing what instrument each one plays. Its easy to guess the lead singer of course and sometimes they choose positions relative to where they stand on stage so that can make it a little easier but...
  16. W

VFE Pedals Alpha Dog; a quick review

There are times when you get a new pedal and you can tell the builder is trying to do his very best to put together a pedal that he would use himself. I think VFE Pedals are just that after getting a new Alpha Dog in the mail today and testing it out. For those of you that dont' know the Alpha...
  17. W

Lovepedal Kalamazoo and Amp 11 comparison

I have an Amp 11 pedal and just got a Kalamazoo and have been trying them on different settings. I've always heard that the Kalamazoo is just one half of the Amp 11 but I don't think that's so after running several tests using similiar settings on both pedals. Now both pedals appear to have...
  18. W

Question for live pro players

What pedal are you using to get a good rhythm guitar overdrive / distortion tone when you are playing power chords and letting them "hang" in the background? I've had to deal with ole man Munson a lot lately and trying to find an OD / Dist pedal that doesnt sound harsh or sterile when I play...
  19. W

Ernie Ball Strings- anyone else having problems getting them to stay in tune?

Lately, I've been having problems getting my Ernie Ball Super Slinkys to stretch out all the way so they will stay in tune. It seems like no matter how much I stretch them there's still a little more stretch left over. Having played for over 30 years I'm pretty familiar with the proper...
  20. W

Found a chip that sounds better than the LM308N for the Rat IMO

Awhile back I modded my Rat and took out the IC chip and put in an 8 pin socket so I could drop in whatever chip I wanted. Well today I sat down with a lot of op amps / chips and started experimenting. I wanted something with a little more hair than the regular LM308N (I know heresy) but that...
  21. W

Shipping on Guitar Center orders

I have finally learned after the umpteenth time. Do NOT order anything Next Day / Overnight or 2nd Day Delivery from Guitar Center. Every single time there is has been a delay; either that or they don't count their days the same way I do (yes this is taking the extra day for credit card...
  22. W

Anyone have a gut shot of a TS808 reissue

I was doing a clickless true bypass mod on my TS808 and misunderstood the directions and unsoldered Wire 14 (black) from the circuit board. Somehow I unsoldered both ends but have it back in the 14 spot on the board. Now I just need to know where I need to solder it. I would guess it's a ground...
  23. W

The Dr Z model on the HD500

I have tried to like the Dr Z amp model on the HD500 but I just can't seem to dial it in where it sounds good to my ears. It sounds too bassy and flubby for my tastes. You guys that are using it - what settings are you using?
  24. W

Subdecay Echobox...anyone else using them on here?

I picked up a Subdecay Echobox at a guitar show about a week back because it really sounded great. Though I found it to be less versatile than a lot of other delay pedals I noticed I that what it does, it does phenomenally. It has some of the best ambient textures I've ever heard out of a pedal...
  25. W

Just dropped a Vitamin T .022 cap in my Strat

....along with a rotary switch and a .022 and .047 orange drop (715 series) wired up so I have 3 cap options. Sounds better on the highs and mids with the tone controls all the way up and I noticed the Vitamin T oil cap rolls off the highs just a little and actually improved the neck pickup tone...