Search results

1. xmd5a

Watching all these freaks on YouTube can be depressing

I think what people call being gifted has more to do with personality than anything. When people talk about learning a new skill, they will say "put in the practice" and vague things like that, but they won't talk about how your head has to be in the right space. These prodigies have a...
  2. xmd5a

Don't people know the Beano Album anymore?!

Just listened to the whole thing TBH I liked it, it sounds like (what has become cliche) jukebox music. It's hard for me to believe that was the first anything in particular, sounding so much like other blues rock of the time, like The Doors, I'll have to take the historian's word for it. I...
  3. xmd5a

People used to sit in their living rooms and just listen to a record or reel to reel, and people bought fancy stereo systems just for the purpose. Now people listen to music with their Amazon Echo and a cheap music subscription, and their living room speakers are in service of a flat screen TV...
  4. xmd5a

It sort of works both ways. I'm willing to bet you're not especially interested in the current generation's music, and why should you be? Music is sort of like money, the more of it you press, the more worthless if becomes, and you're saying "but my money was printed before yours!" It doesn't...
  5. xmd5a

That's semantics, the same idea could be worded as "being first doesn't make something worthy of admiration", or "being held in high regard", etc. When OP asks the question "Don't people know the Beano Album anymore?!", he's not being incredulous about people's lack trivia knowledge.
  6. xmd5a

It was implied in the OP that it would or should be have a higher regard because it was among the first "It captured the beginning of the 'buckers into a Marshall era"
  7. xmd5a

Was "Beano" a commercial blockbuster like Nirvana, though? Nirvana is in the history books for their disruptive qualities alone, regardless of the music itself. That's why I say a young person can listen to the music now and not get it. They were playing Nevermind tracks on the hip hop station...
  8. xmd5a

Even now, if someone under the age of, say, 30, listens to Nirvana, they might wonder "what's the big deal? they sound like all the other crap from the 90's" and you have to explain to them "when this came out, all the other crap from the 90's hadn't happened yet." Sadly, the flame burns out...
  9. xmd5a

I've tried to like Clapton, but I find blues boring, despite the fact that the rock I play derived from it. It's an antiquated vibe that is far removed from the only modern reality that I know. I also feel that Clapton gets a lot of undeserved credit because he's the first white link in an...
  10. xmd5a

Please suggest the best "Dumble Overdrive" related album....

I'm listening to all these demos, trying to find the common thread, but it just sounds like a very plain Jane, mildly overdriven amp with maybe a touch of resonance somewhere in the upper mids. Nothing I can't get with an EQ pedal, were the desire there. I know people trot out "look at the long...
  11. xmd5a

Please suggest the best "Dumble Overdrive" related album....

Aren't Dumbles supposedly modified Fenders? I realize a lot of amps on the market fit this description, but how elusive can the Dumble tone be if it amounts to a mod?