Search results

1. Stratman76

Logic Pro X - What is your online educational resource of choice?

Hello Folks, I'm diving into Logic and hope you can chime in on your favorite online educational resource(s). Please tells us what you like about your source of choice. Is there one you tried and didn't like? And... of course books are cool, too. Here's what I've uncovered regarding- Logic...
  2. Stratman76

Apogee Element vs Focusrite Clarett...please chime in!

Apogee Element vs Focusrite Clarett What do you see as the pros and cons of both the Apogee Element and Focusrite Clarett? Please chime in. I’m in the market for a new interface and this is a tough call at this point. I am a (sparse) home studio Logic user and that status might give the...
  3. Stratman76

Battle of the Power Brick Elite- Strymon Zuma vs. Truetone 1 Spot Pro CS12

I've done some research and I believe these two are the best available for anyone who is using a high current pedal (450mA or higher) on their board. I think I would be good with either the Zuma or the CS12. An advantage in noise reduction/noise rejection would sway me. Isolation and...
  4. Stratman76

Which pickup builders pot with something other than wax?

Which pickup builders pot with something other than wax? I guess I'm mostly curious about those builders/winders who go against the conventional norm. Jim Wagner, he of WCR (now JWP Guitar pickups), told me he uses a sans wax concoction that he called "special sauce." I bought a set of his...
  5. Stratman76

Please help me find this two-channel amp...

Please help me find this amp. The Basics Two-channel with independent EQ and an effects loop for $2,800 or less. Clean Channel Must be a good pedal platform. Sonically friendly cleans but that’s so subjective and so are about the eighty adjectives I could use to describe it. How about...
  6. Stratman76

Good 1x12 Cabinet for an EVM 12L to live in?

My EVM 12L speaker is has been living in a cardboard box and needs a place to stay. Here is my prospective cabinet list. These are all closed-back, front-ported cabinets but I’m open to any suggestions. EV TS806 Original Spec Size TRM Custom Speaker Cabs Thiele TS806 112 – built to EV spec –...
  7. Stratman76

new Bad Cat Hot Cat 50 replaces Lynx

directly from John Thompson's post in this this thread (in bold) https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1360130 The (new) Hotcat Series Dual Channel, Clean to crunch and crunch to High Gain, half power Control Panel Front: Ch1 Input...
  8. Stratman76

For Page/Zeppelin II - Houses of the Holy - what current production amp?

Before you say it, yes, Jimmy Pages' touch/aptitude would also be nice to have...would that be an import item? ;-) But what current production amp can fairly easily get you into this tone territory- Heartbreaker Moby Dick Bring it on Home Black Dog Immigrant Song Over the Hills and Far Away...
  9. Stratman76

Does this amp exist...? (it's a high gainer)

I need some direction in my amp quest and appreciate any suggestions. I play and write indie + retro + 80's hard rock. A day in my musical life would be influenced by Jack White, early Strokes, The Vines, Radiohead, Tom Petty, STP, Zeppelin, Floyd, and up to (gain-wise) Metallica Black album...
  10. Stratman76

bizarre issue with '83 JCM 800..?

I plugged straight in today and the first thing I noticed is Steely Dan playing through my rig! Then I hear the call letters of a local FM station- loud and clear! I've never had any problem with noise or anything like it with this amp or in my basement studio. I immediately tried to identify...
  11. Stratman76

Neck Humbucker is pure mud - what is the next move?

I have an '86 Les Paul Custom that has become a project. The original pickups were squealing bitches- unusable in high gain. I did some research and replaced the pickups. Squeal is gone- the guitar is now super quiet. The current problem is that the neck pickup is still a puddle o' mud. It...
  12. Stratman76

Pre-Amp Tube Gain Stages and Dynamic Range

I didn't realize that, in a typical (Marshall) circuit, two gain stages pass through a single 12AX7. I'm wondering what happens to frequency range when a signal is passed through a pre-amp gain stage? Compression? Always? It seems that amp builders have some control over what is lost when a...
  13. Stratman76

What is your favorite G12-65?

What is your favorite, currently manufactured, G12-65 based speaker? What do you like about it? What amp is driving it? Is it mixed with another speaker? What style/genre o' music are you usually playing through it? Here is the list I've assembled- Celestion...
  14. Stratman76

Quick / Fast Speakers

I was doing some research on Celestion G12-65's and uncovered this bit from the Marshall Forum g12-65 opinions?? (from Marshall Forum) http://www.marshallforum.com/cabinets-speakers/26045-g12-65-opinions.html excerpt - by jcmjmp "The G12T-75 is a very quick...
  15. Stratman76

Favorite V1 for Marshall Plexi/JMP/JCM 800 under $65

I'm one to think values are out there in 12AX7 land. I've done some research and listened to some providers. That has resulted in an RFT that I haven't installed yet and more amps to improve. NOS GE 12AX7WA looks intriguing and fairly affordable. It seems there are so many variants...long...
  16. Stratman76

Have you used a High Gain (+100) 12AX7 in V1?

Have you used a High Gain (+100 gain rated) 12AX7 in V1? The upside would be more gain available and the downside would be less clean headroom. I could see another downside being the potential of adding noise. What about using a high gain 12AX7 in V2? What has been your real world...
  17. Stratman76

Which 100 watt Speaker for a Marshall 2203 JCM-800?

I’m looking for something full-range but on the bright side. This speaker is going in a 1x12 White Box cab that can be open or closed back. I finally broke down and got a Celestion V30 because my Orange TH30 did not mesh well my Eminence Swamp Thang at all. I also have a 50 watt Top...
  18. Stratman76

Best Value Tubes – EL34 and 12AX7 – easily obtainable

Here is my take on best value tubes in EL34 and 12AX7. I’m re-tubing a Top Hat Emplexador (a mighty fine Plexi build). My intent is to enhance crunch and increase gain a bit while maintaining definition and a low noise floor. What have you used? What do you like and in what position...
  19. Stratman76

Lower-wind HUMBUCKERS that are high-gain squeal resistant

I tend to like a hotter PAF influenced pickups but I get into high gain territory. Claims and Apparent Assertions Most pickups that are created with any attempt to reach PAF land are not wax potted. Many vintage spec pickup builders will tell you that wax potting will adversely affect tone...
  20. Stratman76

What is the Best Value in a Les Paul? (current production)

What is the best value in a current production Les Paul (Gibson or other manufacturer)? "Stratman76"... I know, I know... Looking to jump to the darkside. ;-)
  21. Stratman76

Orange Thunderhead TH30 - Impressive little amp...

Orange Thunderhead TH 30 – $1649 / $1199 is typical street price. Two channel, EL-84 with 30watt, 15watt and 7 ½ watt modes. Really like the clean channel and dirty channel is capable of very JCM 800 –like 80’s metal gain. Tube buffered effects loop. OK, it's...
  22. Stratman76

Does this Amp exist at this price point? TMI - I know...

(I know this is TMI...) I’m looking for a fairly versatile studio amp that will be used occasionally for small venue gigs. Even in St. Louis, many of the amps I want to try are not available. So, in an attempt to at least narrow the field, I’ve listed to hundreds of clips (of varying...
  23. Stratman76

What is a Good Marshall-style Channel Switcher?

There don't seem to be many Marshall-style amps that offer two independent, foot switchable channels. I'd like to have a real muscular clean and then something in PlexiLand on the gain/other channel. If this amp has a great master or power scaling, I'm in. I couldn't get good low-volume gain...
  24. Stratman76

Is there a Vox-style amp like this?

Is there a jangle-y Vox-style that is more full range when pushed and able to achieve punchy, tight low-end? Can speaker/cab choice make a significant difference here? If you've found that to be true, tell us what worked for you.
  25. Stratman76

Fargen Olde 800 MkII vs. Reinhardt SHG (part II)

I'm looking for a Marshall-style amp that would be used primarily in the studio and occasionally for small venue gigs. I've done some research and have landed between these two. I'd like something that can get into hot rodded JCM-800 territory but not if means sacrificing the ability to...