Search results

1. D

top 3 mics for guitar amp?

Right on. I'll definitely have to try that now. 1" from the grill, eh? I've been putting it RIGHT up against it, so that'll be interesting. Thanks! david
  2. D

Yup. I'm just curious if this is a natural thing with the 57 (being SO picky about placement), for if it isn't, then I'm truly OCD. Even my inexpensive Rode NT3 sounds pretty neutral/consistent when placed about a foot from the amp, on axis with the center of the speaker. The 57 has to be...
  3. D

That's an interesting method....I get the principle of it....I'll have to try it sometime. Why not? :) david
  4. D

Great thread, and great timing. I'm wondering how much "operator error" lies in my inability to achieve good results with my 57 and my guitars/amps, as I'm getting pretty frustrated with it all. Occasionally I happen to accidentally put the 57 in just the right spot, but come on, how picky is...
  5. D

******** m*&%^$% f#@%$r

Ha ha. :) Very nice.... david
  6. D

How to make a record...

Holy crap....everything about that is exactly my ideal. Songs, musicianship, recording, vibe, philosophy, approach.....perfect. We live in the material, but so much of what we do exists in the metaphyisical other....that spiritual realm of vibe and seeming nonsense. Every once in a while...
  7. D

"the death of dynamic range' in audio...

Thanks for posting that, Joseph. Very interesting.... david
  8. D

Pics of my dinky studio

Nice. Are the computers in the same room as where the recording happens, or is it a separate space? I'm limited to one, small room, so I had to build a verrrrrry quiet computer. :) david
  9. D

Should I build a PC?

Build your own. It may be frustrating and complicated at first, but you learn A LOT, and can customize things to your liking. Newegg.com and Onsale.com both are great places to get parts. I built one with my brother, specifically for recording, and it runs really well...and fast.... :) david
  10. D

Best Windows based workstation program - NOT Pro Tools...?????

THANKS CLIFF! Great info for sure... david
  11. D

Cliff.....great post, especially as I just e-mailed you regarding this stuff. :) So you prefer Nuendo over ProTools and Samplitude? Any particular reasons? I'm heavily leaning towards Samp 8.0 as it seems to be comprehensive and just all around great... Nuendo is out of my $$$ range, so it...
  12. D

Who are you going through for your upgrade? I'm looking into this myself... david
  13. D

I'm in the process of scrounging up funds for Samplitude Professional 8.0....so there's my vote, I guess... david
  14. D

Which Audio Technica?

I am also interested in this... david
  15. D

"Best sounding" PCI cards?

Well, so far, so VERY good. Great sounding. Definitely different than my Delta 66. An audible difference for certain... david
  16. D

hard drive "disappears"...yikes!

Good deal; glad that it is working. My wife had the best description of computers when she said that "they are like a cruel harlot".... Oh my, so true. :) david
  17. D

Thanks all... I grabbed a 1212M and am going to install it momentarily. (fingers crossed) :) david
  18. D

hard drive "disappears"...yikes!

If your E drive is over 137GB then you need to adjust things in XP in order to have it acknowledge the drive's presence, as XP won't recognize drives over 137 gigs. I'm not sure exactly how make the change in XP, but I do know that Seagate has a drive install/setup program that makes the change...
  19. D

Hey Tim. Thanks so much. I've heard that many of the same level cards have similar, if not identical converters, but that there are a few that stand out amongst the rest. I've heard fantastic things about the E-MU 1212M, 1820M, and the ESI Juli@. Any words of wisdom about those? I'm aware...
  20. D

I upgraded my recording setup, and I don't like the sound so much!

That is exactly where I'm at. Many people have said that the Delta 66 is a very respectible card, but while it is handy, stable, etc.., I'm still not a fan of the sound. Not bad, mind you, just different. Hard to explain... david
  21. D

??? What? Really...hmm. We'll, it doens't sound bad, per se, just not what I'm looking for right now. I can see how it would sound great for someone who is just looking to get stuff down on the hard drive, but man, I'm too compulsive for that... :) Any recommendations, Ratter? david
  22. D

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, it is the OUTPUTS that are souding poor. I played several other CDs and recordings (that I KNOW BY HEART) through the soundcard, every frequency and vibe and everything, through different...
  23. D

I've read and read and read and read....and I've come across many recommendations for good PCI cards, but my question is more to which of the many out there SOUND really, really good? That is, great converters, etc. etc... I've heard that Lynx is about at the top of the list, and RME is also...
  24. D

Well, a possibility would be that the settings in the internal software mixer (grrr...) were down a bit on the inputs, so I'll mess with those, and pick up some TRS cables to use from the preamp to the souncard. We'll see if that helps... :) david
  25. D

OKAY. I thought I had this thing figured out, but it's really starting to frustrate me.... I listened back on some of my other (past) recordings that I had done in Cubase with my US-122, and even THOSE vocals are sounding kinda harsh and midrangey. What is the deal with that? I mean, I'm using...