Search results

1. D

Les Paul Gold Top...the great search

Thanks. This is excellent info. FYI, I could care less about a heavy guitar...I'm past that now. I just want a good sounding LP. I know there's weight relieved, and chambered, and such....so I guess the best way is to just go an play them. Clump....I do believe you have my perfect guitar...
  2. D

Les Paul Gold Top...the great search

Hello all, I'm finally at the point where I'd like to find a *good* Les Paul. And it must be a Gold Top. I've wanted one since the days of seeing Slash and Stone Gossard playing these beauties, but have in the past veered away from the LP due to owning an Epiphone back in the day that...
  3. D

The "Malcolm Young" pickup?

I ordered a Lollar low-wind for the neck and a TV Jones Classic for the bridge. The Lollar should be here tomorrow...and the TV Jones not far behind, I wager, being as I'm in Portland. Here's hoping I dig. :)
  4. D

Nice! Thanks, Waxhead. I'd come across that post in my searching...almost had me going with a Classic Plus, UNTIL, I came across this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3kW4x2VTlU&feature=related DONE. That's the sound.
  5. D

Ha! Yeah...I just was curious about Malcolm's Filtertron-y pickups. Funny, huh. Maybe it's a sensitive topic (like 100db or so).
  6. D

Wow, you guys are picky about language.... :) Let me phrase it thusly: "I'm considering a TV Jones Classic Plus in the bridge and a Lollar Imperial low-wind in the neck. Has anyone tried something similar to this?"
  7. D

Awesome responses, guys. Many thanks! And Waxhead, lemme know what Malcolm says. Tell him I'm an admirer but not a copycat. :)
  8. D

Nice! I just got an e-mail back from TV Jones and they recommended a Classic (ordinary), but that's because I told them I wanted to be able to touch Chet Atkins as well as Malcolm Young. The Classic + seems to be a legit option as well... I'm still thinking humbucker in the neck and...
  9. D

How does an LP compare to an SG in terms of sound?

That's a fair summation. LP's have more snap whereas SG's have more snarl. I find LP's to be a bit quicker and "thicker" in the initial attack, whereas the lighter SG has a bit more "give" and provides more air to the tone. LP's have a high-end thing going on in the initial attack which when...
  10. D

So true! Hence my desire just to get in the Malcolm ballpark. I just want to avoid having a pickup seriously underwound (Classic) or overwound (PowerTron Plus), and then wishing I'd done more homework first. :)
  11. D

You know, that's something I'd not considered....a great technical point for sure. I wager it would change things (how could it not?), but I doubt it would be significant (r.e., a deal-breaker). I suppose I should clarify that I'm not looking to "clone Malcolm" so much as be able to get in the...
  12. D

Riiight.....well, not to be a smart ass...but, I did specify there were a plethora of "Filtertron" options out there and was hoping one of you could help suggest which of the many options would be closest. So no, I'm not a crappy internet searcher, but perhaps you are a poor thread-reader. To...
  13. D

Hey there, I've read and searched and read and Googled....but I can't seem to find any information as to which pickup (TV Jones, I wager...) currently being made will provide "that Malcolm Young" thing. I'm inclined to say the TV Jones Classic as a catch-all, being as Malcolm has used...
  14. D

I want to like my SG Standard...

I do very much like my SG now. Very much. Just kept playing it and "allowed it to be different from my Tele", and sure enough...I want more Gibsons. ;)
  15. D

I think that post is the answer. Very true. Thanks.
  16. D

Interesting....I looked at the neck joints on the LP Standard, SG Standard, and '61 Reissue SG....very different. The '61 had the joint farthest up the fretboard, whereas the LP had the longest joint, with the SG Standard being in the middle. I bet my SG Standard is, well, pretty standard in...
  17. D

Interesting....I wonder why this is the case? And yes, I can see how if one played mostly on the higher frets you'd not notice the neck bending, but lower fret stuff (chords, etc.) will bring that out....
  18. D

Interesting comments. Thanks all. Good idea about the string gauge...I'm using 10's right now, though, and I feel that's about right for the guitar. I played it this morning and in both sets it was better than yesterday. Perhaps I just am more rough with my Tele and then when I switch...
  19. D

Interesting. My problem isn't that the guitar goes out of tune so much as the overall pitch varies when played. It's a subtle thing....not really a problem after I've been playing it for a while, as I get used to how to play it so that this doesn't happen. When I switch from my Tele to the...
  20. D

Oh, this is a 2004 SG Standard, sort of a brown burst. Typical SG neck joint...I think this year had a longer tenon(?). So, LPs in general are more solid in this area? As much as I LOVE the lighter, airy quality my SG has (Seth Lovers in neck and bridge, Sozo caps, etc...), I'm considering...
  21. D

....but I'm finding that the neck is more unstable than my Tele and seems to vary the pitch when I'm playing it. It's like it needs to be held just right, for if I push or pull on it then the pitch goes flat or sharp, more so than other guitar types. Is this true of Les Pauls as well...