Search results

1. D

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 tinkering

I figured it out!!!! I prefer this setup far better than the Joey Mods. I changed both channels slightly, making the Green more Vintage and the Red more usable by far. Ironically the key was removing components just as much as it was changing components....less is usually more, huh? :)...
  2. D

Top Hat Club Royale Fuzzy. Help!

Did you try swapping out guitar cables? Or cleaning the input jack. You'd be surprised...
  3. D

Top Hat Club Royale Fuzzy. Help!

Replace all tubes with KNOWN GOOD ONES, and report back to us. :)
  4. D

Alright, here's where I am with this: Main Board: Removed C9 entirely (100pf from the first gain stage plate to the cathode) and replaced C12 (the first gain stage Ck, a 4uf electrolytic) with a .68uf Sozo and lowered the same stage's Ra (R13) from 220k to 100k while raising Rk (R14) from 1k8...
  5. D

I'm understanding this to mean increasing the bright cap's value will not increase low end given the same setting on the potentiometer. This does not seem correct. Am I misunderstanding you? I replaced the 470 pf bright cap across the Red Channel gain pot with a .0047uf Sozo NextGen and...
  6. D

One thought I had was to just INCREASE the value of the "bright cap" on the Red Channel gain pot (C12). I have some higher value caps (.0047uf and .022uf ) and was wondering if throwing one of those in place of the 470pf cap that was C12 might add low end yet not deviate to much from the amp's...
  7. D

On to Phase Two of the mods. Cut out C12 on the "front board" (essentially a bright cap across the Red Channel Gain pot), and like the added low end but the Red Channel is more "congested" now. Any suggestions/mods for the Red Channel to clean/clear it up? I'm not a super high gain...
  8. D

Worst Noise Ever

"Why can't the correct polarity (or phase) be determined prior to hard-wiring? Can't the "Dot Convention" of transformer polarity be determined on a transformer's primary and secondary beforehand so the NOISE OF DEATH is always avoided?" Exactly my thoughts.
  9. D

Worst Noise Ever

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50, early version with the "crappy" PCB (which I've not had any trouble with...perhaps due to the 50w vs. 100w setup?). Anyway. Tinker tinker....replaced most (soon to be all) coupling caps in the .0047 to .1uf range with Sozo NextGen caps (nice), installed choke in place...
  10. D

To each their own, indeed. There are certain things I'm after with this amp, and which I know it can provide, so I will continue to explore and modify.
  11. D

I will say though that I preferred Heyboer transformers over Mercury, in my limited experience with the two. Classic Tone is for me as much an experiment as it is a tinkering "improvement", so who knows, I may very well hate their OT in this amp. But what I do know is that for my tastes, the...
  12. D

Interesting videos, neteraser. Thanks for sending those. I actually preferred the Mercury one....it's cleaner and broader, exactly what I'd like to hear change in my amp. There's no accounting for taste, huh? :) Changed the thread title here as well, to correlate better with what's...
  13. D

You think? Consensus seems to be that the trannies in the DSL 2000 series are cheaply made and the amp benefits from replacements. I'm curious as to what you have in mind.
  14. D

Of course both the choke and caps contributed to the improvements. I attribute the openness and clarity across the spectrum to the Sozo caps, and I attribute the reduced hum and tighter response to the choke.
  15. D

These Sozos have already started to break in after a couple of hours....or, my ears are adjusting to them. IIRC there is an ~20 hr break in period for these. I've had them in the past, and always appreciate their airy, balanced tonality. Odd thing....I find that I DO NOT need to use the Deep...
  16. D

Well heck, it fired up and worked without incident!!!! When does that ever happen (to me)??? Love it. Interesting difference, though....with the "stock" setup, the amp was more modern sounding, versatile, even-keeled. After installing a 3hy choke (Classic Tone) and replacing the major...
  17. D

I do. Thanks. Was having a harder time picking the specific caps on this schematic...I'm not used to working with PCB amps. PTP/Turret Strip/Eyelet Board stuff, sure, but not so much PCB. Was hoping someone else may have done this before me and have the specific caps itemized. If not...
  18. D

I posted this over on the Amp Garage forum but have received no responses, so I'm re-posting this here for some added help. :) I came across a great deal on an older Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 head and am trying to make the best of it. It's yet to display the runaway bias drift issue, and other...
  19. D

RCA 5R4GYB tube dating

'97 Top Hat Club Royale 1x12, JJ EL84s, stock transformers etc.... Wall voltage: 121vAC Tube type Rect. Plates --- EL84 plate ---------------------------- JJ GZ34 330vDC --- 322vDC RCA 5V4GA 318 --- 310 RCA 5R4GYB 300 --- 293 Sylvania 5R4GYB...
  20. D

RCA 5R4GYB tube dating

Yes. There probably is a voltage difference. The RCA has a different construction than the Sylvania....the plates are about 1/8" apart in the Sylvania, but about 1/2" apart in the RCA. Both are marked "5R4GYB".
  21. D

RCA 5R4GYB tube dating

Interesting. With my Tele and my Top Hat, the Sylvania was more midrangey and thicker, but the RCA was clearer and more balanced. Both are good tubes, but at first listen I prefer the RCA. With different gear my preference would likely be different, though.
  22. D

RCA 5R4GYB tube dating

Great. Thanks guys. I just picked up a real RCA 5R4 that is definitely RCA made. I'm looking forward to seeing how it sounds and feels in comparison to the Sylvania version. I appreciate all your help.
  23. D

RCA 5R4GYB tube dating

Interesting. Thanks guys. Are Sylvania 5R4GYB tubes any good? I think I've only owned one Sylvania....a 12AX7 of some sort that's in my 6G2 Princeton. I'm more familiar with Mullard, GE, RCA, and Telefunken, but not so much Sylvania.
  24. D

RCA 5R4GYB tube dating

All three sound great....have exactly the same markings. No issues after play-testing them, but again, I'm curious to see how they test in an actual tube tester. No hexagon/octagon around the tube type print. I'm thinking these are '70s, but I'm sure someone here can be more definitive.
  25. D

RCA 5R4GYB tube dating

Thanks Thom. I figured they were later manufacture. I couldn't find a corresponding picture on the web....all those which look similar have brown-ish bases. I wonder if these were some of the last ones to be made? I'll keep looking for something definitive in terms of dates, but if any of...