Search results

1. R

Lady Gaga!! the Anthem.

A few beat me to The Cactus Cuties. Their rendition always gets me misty eyed. One of the best straight renditions (as in the way it should be sung IMHO) was when I happened to catch the beginning of a 2003 Jets/Colts playoff game. It was a cold, blustery evening in NY. It was sung by...
  2. R

My rig sounds really bad and I don’t know why.

Only made it through the first 3 pages, so forgive me if I repeat anything that’s already been said. 1. Check your pickup heights. If they are on the high side, try to lower them substantially. This will help in your clean and overdriven tones. 2. Put the tuner at the beginning of the...
  3. R

ZZ TOP Laying It Down

Loved jamming to this song when I was in a blues band about 10 yrs ago.
  4. R

Who are the Bands you got to see live when they were in their absolute prime and at the top of their game ?

1967- Paul Revere and the Raiders (featuring Mark Lindsey). Don’t laugh. They were great. They enjoyed several radio hits around that time. 1973- ZZ Top in Fargo, ND. They blew the roof off the place. 1975- Edgar Winter group (with Rick Derringer). “Shock Treatment“ album tour. Great...
  5. R

Then & Now : Who Put Together The Best Plan For Success And Is Living The Best Life In The Music Industry ?

No. Dave Clark of the Dave Clark Five, back in the mid-60’s. They were an extremely successful band for a few short years with lots of hits and touring. Mr. Clark maintained rights to their catalog and became very wealthy off it for years after the band was no more. There was a very good...
  6. R

“Silent” Writing Partners of the Famous?

Jimmy Webb wrote many hits for Glen Campbell.
  7. R

So Who is the True King of Rock n Roll?

What? No Carl Perkins? He was gigging in taverns at the age of 14 in 1946. He wrote Blue Suede Shoes, among other hits recorded by others like the Beatles.
  8. R

Ritchie Blackmore’s 335s and Strats

Loved the tone he got on their hit “Hush” 1968(?).
  9. R

Nobels ODR-1

What is considered original for an ODR-1? I bought mine in 1999 new for <$100 (IIRC). Gigged it for a good 15 yrs. Tried many, many various replacements over those years, but always came back to the ODR-1. I just ordered one for my 15 yr old grandson for Christmas. I might have to take it...
  10. R

Great Rock Bands that should have had more commercial success ?

Kenny Rankin Rick Derringer Todd Rundgren
  11. R

Most Depressing Song With An Upbeat Melody

Help Me: Joni Mitchell.
  12. R

Favorite Lineup of Bands who Changed Members

Edgar Winter Group with Rick Derringer. The later version of Utopia with Kasim Sulton..
  13. R

Urinal encounters with famous people

Dallas guitar show around ‘98-‘99 when it was still at Fair Park. I was exiting one of the large outdoor restrooms. I almost collide with someone coming in, as I round a corner. I’m 6’5 and the other person is about 5’ nothin’. All is see is the top of his head, until he looks up. I step...
  14. R

Sometimes..it’s the cover that’s the better version!

Summertime Blues - The Who
  15. R

Saddest songs ever

“Caroline, no” - The Beach Boys off of Pet Sounds.
  16. R

What's the oldest piece of gear in your current rig?

My 1955 LP Junior I bought in a mom & pop music store in 1973. This store was in the downstairs (walkout basement) of a house on the north side of Fargo. Paid $175 for it. I was 19 and making less than $2.00/hr.
  17. R

An electric guitar you never should have sold.

1970 es-330 bought new when in HS. Traded it in on a Sunn Concert Bass amp in the early 70’s. 2002 Les Paul Classic in iced tea plain top burst. Previous owner put in 57 Classics. It had the mojo. I’d buy it back in a heartbeat, if I could.
  18. R

What’s the worst guitar tone you’ve heard on record?

Todd Rundgren during his Utopia period. He’s an incredible musician with just awful tone. Thin and way over-processed for the most part.
  19. R

what’s the LEAST versatile guitar?

My ‘55 LP Jr I’ve owned since 1973 is surprisingly versatile. My ‘60 Guild X-50 arch top with a single neck pickup... that’s a whole different story.
  20. R

$500 Gigging Amp Challenge:

Roland Blues Cube. Powerful, light weight, zero maintenance, bulletproof, attenuation that actually works good. I have the GC version tuned to sound like an old Marshall Bluesbreaker amp. Totally satisfied with it.