Search results

1. smithguitars

What do you use for storing guitar parts?

I just took possession of an old library card file cabinet from my alma mater. 72 drawers 3x5x16. Mic locker and pieces and parts.
  2. smithguitars

Best quality low-cost electric w/ a Floyd Rose

Used EVH Wolfgang Standard or Special if you can find one.
  3. smithguitars

Anyone ever reupholster a guitar case?

How about an Upholstery Shop? I hear they that kind of thing every day, like all business like and stuff. Seriously, I had an upholsterer do our Craigslist Amish Recliner finds in leather and they were very reasonable. The Amish in my area are excellent craftsmen. I would drive an hour to my guy...
  4. smithguitars

Are wireless guitar systems worth it?

I am disabled and though I can walk, I trip easily and generally play sitting down, Skunk Baxter style. The las thing I need is a tripwire. I use a wireless in the house and for recording. Boss WL-50 works well for me.
  5. smithguitars

My new Tele is stiff...

For my stiff players. I tune 'em to Eb. If a full setup doesn't do it, Eb fixes it. BTW I use 9-42 for everything Standard, Eb, 25.5" and 24.75".
  6. smithguitars

EVH Wolfgang Standard

It depends on the how thick the block is. I don't grind on the body 9/10 times. I have, but prefer not to. The shim is the tone sucker.
  7. smithguitars

super glue and baking soda in the nut trick

From the interwebs: The bicarbonate (even water) starts the reaction between one cyanoacrylate and another one. The bicarbonate and cyanoacrylate form an ion which reacts with another cyanoacrylate molecule. This starts a chain reaction (polymerization) which ends up a very good adhesive. A...
  8. smithguitars

Gorgomyte fret cloth

There is a large one too. But by all means, spend more if you want. 6x9 @6.39 9x12@ 2 for 12.95. There is Probably a gold leaf one available somewhere.
  9. smithguitars

EVH Wolfgang Standard

My EVH Special/Standard Minimum upgrades: +Ti String Block Inserts +SS Hex screws -- all of 'em, bridge and nut +Big Block or L Block--Brass, Naval Brass, or Ti -Get rid of the spacer-tone sucker Optional but highly recommended: *Push in-arm
  10. smithguitars

Gorgomyte fret cloth

MIRACLE CLOTH is the same. better and cheaper. Miracle Cloth is made by DUNLOP. Works great on Ebony, and Rosewood for me. I use TruOil Paste Wax on my bare maple fingerboards and necks, but MC on all frets.
  11. smithguitars

Evh detuna

It will not work floating, period. Decked or blocked only.
  12. smithguitars

EVH: "Anyone who thinks SS frets changes the tone is crazy"

I have strats, teles, & parts guitars with both. I have EVH guitars with both. Arguably, SS may be better only in the fact that they will never need a refret. Subjectively, I like the feel of SS better, and not having to do the eventual fret dress or refret. I have SS fret wire for my next 10...
  13. smithguitars

What does "Limited Edition" mean to you?

Limited Edition usually means : "We really need to use up these _______'s. Make up a bunch so we can get rid of this inventory sitting around." or, "We ordered how many of these things? Ok, that's it. Just get rid of em."
  14. smithguitars

Push-On Dome Knobs

Better to get the regular ones and a brass shaft adapter collar like this one: EXAMPLE The push on ones I have seen are chromed plastic with poor quality all around.
  15. smithguitars

Do the EVH Specials have “half-recessed” Floyds?

I always consider a recessed FR as a profile thing, dropping the strings closer to the body—not really for the float or no-float thing. IMHO, ymmv, etc.
  16. smithguitars

Favorite resources for Partscaster builds and basic tech knowledge?

Handy drill bit sizes 1/8” Neck Screws 3/16” Thru Body for clearance of neck screws 5/64 Pick Guard Screw holes
  17. smithguitars

Favorite resources for Partscaster builds and basic tech knowledge?

You part-out a T as a Kit from StewMac, or Ebay for specific parts. Pickups from Bootstrap are awesome, handwound in Ohio and $50/set (I suspect they also wind for StewMac). I just built 4 Teles from parts during covid. Check out YouTube for Tele setup and tweaks. Fender even has a vid up on...
  18. smithguitars

Vito Bratta question

I saw him live in '89 at Worchester, MA with WL opening for Cinderella. White Steinberger GM2S with EMG's and a Strat with EMG's and a FR. A Groupie got on stage and did "things" with/to the GM25.
  19. smithguitars

How to get rid of cases?

Guitar cases under all beds! Keep 'em in garbage bags or the packing wrap will keep them dust free and keep you from losing stuff under the beds.
  20. smithguitars

Can Sperzle mechanical locking tuners remove the need for a locking nut on a double locking floating bridge?

I think Ed lied a lot to keep his mojo secret. Turning UP with a VariAc, etc. I did the boiling trick and rusted a set of strings out ;). The solder is an idea, but there is no way I am soldering every strong. Strings are cheap. Locking tuners are great, but they work completely differently...
  21. smithguitars

Cleaning frets-Mag wheel cleaner or 000 Steel Wool

Miracle Cloth is Made by Dunlop now. Cheaper than the other stuff.
  22. smithguitars

Bootstrap Pickups. Anyone?

I just got in a Strat ‘54 Sparkle Set I’m putting in an 2000’s MIM Fender Standard Strat. I’m impressed with the workmanship. I’ll let you know in a week.
  23. smithguitars

2020 New EVH Striped Series Frankie

This. Tighten the springs to get the bridge solidly touching the top. If the bridge pulls up when you bend strings, given 'em another 1/4 - 1/2 turn and repeat.