Search results

1. 1

Converting a Fender Princeton Reverb to a 12" Speaker

Yeah, I've done that. That's not nearly the same as having a small cab w/12" speaker. Also, my external cabs are 2x12 and have Celestions. Looking to hear experiences from people who have actually moved to 12" and whether they liked it or regretted it. Recording or gigging with 10" speakers...
  2. 1

Converting a Fender Princeton Reverb to a 12" Speaker

After suffering some damage my Fender Princeton Reverb is in need of a new cabinet. It is still housed in it's original cabinet but since a replacement cab is due it seemed like a good time to consider whether there is a benefit to a 12" speaker. Princeton's are wonderful amps but there is a...
  3. 1

Worst voiced tube amp you've played (longer than in a store)

Framus Dragon - no matter what I did it never sounded right. Just bassy and crunchy and never cut through. Mesa Heartbreaker - worst switching with too many options and took pedals terribly. It was always too loud or too midrangey
  4. 1

What’s your favourite Celestion? Why?

Vintage 30 hands down, nothing comes close for all-around consistency across just about any genre. Of course I have always loved G12H30s, Blues (right now I am using a Scumback equivalents) and Greenbacks but of all those choices the V30 always delivers. Reggae track? Funk? Hard Rock? Metal...
  5. 1

Why are Princetons popular?

They are truly fantastic amps. Bear in mind the reverb circuit in the Princeton Reverb models add another tube stage that changes the tone for the better. Many would agree but it's not a set fact as Mike Campbell plays a non-reverb model so there are many options. Check out videos by Larry...
  6. 1

Would you still be playing

As much as some respondents don't seem to like this topic, I do find it interesting. The synth comparison is a great one. My connection to keys, synths and pianos is not nearly as deep as guitars. To take the example deeper, as much as I love analog studio gear, basses, drum machines and many...
  7. 1

Compared two Marshalls - a Mini Jubilee and a Studio Classic - first impressions

No clue. Whatever it came with. To be clear, the clean channel is not my favorite pedal platform (like a clean Fender) but it is really nice and unique that way, esp with the right pedals.
  8. 1

Compared two Marshalls - a Mini Jubilee and a Studio Classic - first impressions

99.999999% if demos would've made me never buy a Mini SJ. Luckily it was the closest available amp at Sam Ash so I ended up trying it often and would come away forgetting the guitar I was demo-ing and dreaming about this amp. Owning one is another level. I don't do gear demos so I don't make...
  9. 1

The Merits of the Fender Princeton

I'm definitely a Princeton fan but they are very speaker dependent. Esp. the reissues. Replacing the stock speaker with a heavier duty Weber made the amp so much more robust. Love it through a Celestion Blue or G12H30 as well. They are strange beasts in that they are low powered but a lot of...
  10. 1

Those who have several amps: what's your fav?

Mesa Studio 22 Fender Princeton Reverb SF Marshall SLP 100 Marshall Silver Jubilee Mink 2525H The Jubilee is my favorite and records like a dream. It's so impressive that I sold my Bogner Shiva. Part of my wishes I had the combo for convenient gigging. The cleans are shockingly useful though I...
  11. 1

I always wanted a Crate Powerblock but never bought one.

Owned one and used one that was backline at a gig. As other have stated it's passable but nothing special. It's hard to get the right balance of EQ. It can sound muddy, the mids are just ok, the bass can be woofy BUT for the price and size it works and takes pedals. At a gig years ago it was...
  12. 1

Update: Hard Rock Clip - Marshall Studio Classic JCM800 - Thoughts and Clip

Impressive. I'm sold they've nailed the 800 tone in a small factor. Frankly it sounds pretty close to the EQ I'd want on a recorded tone. How did you record and process it?
  13. 1

Is the Marshall Jubilee basically a JCM800 with diodes in the preamp?

A power attenuators like a Hot Plate works wonders. If you really want that Plexi tone I'd figure a Plexi design (haven't played the mini, own the real thing) is the only way to go. Else I think the Jubilee can fake that vibe better than an 800. You can get some unique sounds into the clean...
  14. 1

Is the Marshall Jubilee basically a JCM800 with diodes in the preamp?

It's interesting that with all the Jubilee and 800 reissues out there this is still very hotly discussed. The circuit has been picked apart by many resident experts here and confirmed time and again to be highly differentiated. As far as tone it's shocking how different they are ESP when...
  15. 1

Mesa Boogie Heartbreaker

Most frustrating amp I ever owned. Too many options to tweak and I never found that IT sound from it. The Brit wasn't totally Brit. The Mark I tones weren't right. Well built and loud. It almost too loud ESP considering today. Foot switching was a nightmare too. Great clean tones though. I'd...
  16. 1

I think I am done with my Bogner Shiva

Funny, so far the Mini Jubilee seems to be the answer. Haven't used it enough to say for certain but then again how do I compare years of owning an amp to mere weeks with a new one?
  17. 1

Thinking of getting a Marshall 2525 Jubilee Mini. How good are they?

So far I am incredibly impressed with this amp. Is it redundant to have a Jubilee Mini and say a JCM800 or Plexi-style amp or do they complement each other?
  18. 1

That's quite a list. Care to compare and contrast anything on that list not named Marshall? (I'm familiar enough with Marshall tones)
  19. 1

Well this thread didn't help. Listed my Shiva. It's official. Wow this is a big move for me.
  20. 1

After years with my silver back, early 2000s Shiva, playing live/recording with it, I think I am ready to move on. The amp sounds fantastic but it's little odds and ends are kinda getting to me. After recently getting a Marshall Mini Jubilee my feelings really came to a head (no pun intended)...
  21. 1

Bogner Goldfinger Super Lead

Haar's demos tend to capture the sound pretty well. My friend has one and raves about it. His tracks sound great. The GC near me has one used and I've played it on 5 occasions and almost wanted to dump my Shiva and vintage Marshall to have one amp that does it all lol but nah, just can't do...
  22. 1

How do folks feel or compares with amps like plexi-style, AC30s, etc that are already in their stable? Is it a nice addition to have? I'm still wondering if it's a little redundant with my Bogner Shiva
  23. 1

That's it? Little excitement lol
  24. 1

So you prefer the head or the combo?
  25. 1

I've thought about this amp for years and one appeared used for $899. It seems to be the perfect size and wattage with exceptional tone. It's "that" sound at first glance. Anyone have experience with these little wonders? EDIT: Would you take the head or the combo?