Search results

1. mikesch

Have you ever had a builder sign a contract when ordering a custom guitar?

I'm actually curious about this since I see it brought up in a lot of threads when builds go south. I've ordered a fair number of guitars over the years and have never entered into a contract with the builder. I'm curious if anyone else actually has or if it's just a thing people say on the...
  2. mikesch

Late NGD: Chubtone

I saw that Chubtone posted some pics of a guitar they finished up for me in February and it reminded me that I never posted a NGD thread for it. I decided to go pretty simple for this one, a Duncan Saturday Night Special in the lead, a stacked p-90 in the neck, the Lynch push/pull volume for the...
  3. mikesch

For the first time in almost 4 years I don't have any custom builds in the queue, who next?

I've been on a bit of a buying spree for the last few years but for the first time in a while I've found that I don't have any guitars in progress from anyone. If I were a reasonable person I'd be happy with my collection and play those for a while but I'm not reasonable so I'm wondering who I...
  4. mikesch

Wayne Charvel loses house and workshop in the Camp Fire

Haven't seen a thread about this yet. Wayne Charvel lost his house and workshop in one of the fires here in NorCal. His children have also lost their homes. He has a gofundme up at https://www.gofundme.com/wayne-guitars-wayne-charvel-shop I donated a few bucks in appreciation for all he's...
  5. mikesch

Build thread: Jennings Voyager...with Foilbuckers

A while back I ordered some Foilbuckers from Ronin as soon as they became available, without really knowing what I would put them into. I have a thing for guitars with somewhat classic looks but modern playability and Jennings seemed to fit the bill. After a few emails back and forth we seemed...
  6. mikesch

Build Thread: McNaught Nitrous

A while back I ordered a McNaught Nitrous. The build is now underway and I thought I'd start a thread. Rather than posting specs up front I'll let things make themselves apparent as they show up in the build: The neck, pre truss rod and fingerboard: IMG_8611 by mikesch posted Aug 17, 2018 at...
  7. mikesch

Walker's wait time solution...

Scott Walker seems to have come up with a decent solution for accountability on builds. He's not giving estimated delivery dates which inevitably get missed, instead he's posting the serials of guitars online and committing to roughly building in order of serial number. Seems like a good way for...
  8. mikesch

15 guitars stolen from the Botique Guitar Showcase

Pasting from the Facebook post, keep an eye out: On September 28th, 2017 at 9:00pm, 15 boutique guitars were stolen while in transit from a trade show in San Antonio, Texas. These guitars are extremely identifiable, one of a kind handmade instruments, and won’t easily go unnoticed. These...
  9. mikesch

Peavey’s making Wolfgangs again.

They’re bringing US production back with their new “HP2”. https://peavey.com/news/article.cfm/action/view/id/903/cat/1/article.cfm I’m seeing rumors of $1499 to $1999 street depending on options. I wonder who’s ghost building them. I think I’m going to have to pick one up if they’re decent and...
  10. mikesch

Incoming NGD, Mario Martin S

So seeing @rgsss14's YJM tribute by Mario Martin gave me a bit of an itch to have him build a project I've been thinking of for a while, kind of a tribute to the vintage guitars that were hacked up in the 80s in an effort to get a little closer to EVH/Yngwie. With that in mind, I wanted a...