Search results

1. mmrxcsr01

Texas Flood at el Mocambo, I hadn’t watched it in some time

CRUSHING handshake, met him in Pittsburgh with Albert King as that night's opener, Albert's bus was running late arriving, SRV was standing outside the stage door when AK pulled up...SRV let AK's band use DT's gear, as much as they could, to get him onstage as quickly as possible...and when SRV...
  2. mmrxcsr01

I think Clapton's tone on the Live Cream album is the best guitar sound ever.

So, any thoughts as to what he's playing on "Sittin' On Top Of The World", from "Goodbye"? Waaaaaay different tone there....
  3. mmrxcsr01

I want a nylon string guitar because of my old arthritic fingers.

For what it's worth, I started having some stiffening of the hands back in Feb, actually cancelled a few gigs. Then I tries "Nashville" tuning on an Alvarez I got pretty cheaply, and man, what a difference. Not only EASY to play at pitch, but the difference in chord voicings made me re-learn a...
  4. mmrxcsr01

What acoustic covers are going over well for you?

IF it's a listening room...."Nature's Way", "Every Time You Go Away", "A Change Is Gonna Do Me Good", "Easy Now"...."No Expectations"..."You Got The Silver"..." Don't Want To Love You Anymore"....
  5. mmrxcsr01

Any NoVA TGPers remeber Veneman's?

If I recall, Roll's was run/ owned by one Phil Bakalis (sp?) when I walked in in 1976. I spent $300 that day, and for the next year and a half, traded guitars and amps without spending another dime. Can't begin to tell you how many models of used items I went through, Phil loved to horse trade...
  6. mmrxcsr01

Always been confused about that 45 minute set deal....

I play mostly three hour gigs nowadays; I'll do, say, 8:00 to 9:30, break 15 or so, open the second set with a solo number or two, then run through until 11:00, per the owner's request. He feels a break near 10:30/11:00 gives the crowd a chance to split...so a longer first set, followed by a...
  7. mmrxcsr01

Post Your Favorite Live Blues Album(s)

The "Livestock" vocalist is Pittsburgh's own Billy Price. Look for him in years past with the Rhythm Kings, The Keystone Rhythm Band, as well as his cd with the late Otis Clay. BIG fav hereabouts, never seen a bad show. A couple of fine guitar players over the years, Keith Grimes, Glenn Pavone...
  8. mmrxcsr01

I'm not prepared to lose anyone else this year....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/eric-clapton-struggling-to-play-guitar-because-of-damage-to-his/
  9. mmrxcsr01

Open Mic electric guitar

Are you able to contact the host in advance, to see what gear he/ she/ they will have on hand? When I host an open mic, I bring two tube amps, so that if an electric player arrives, they're pretty well set....
  10. mmrxcsr01

EH B9 thoughts?

Again, thank you all. On a holiday to boot...I appreciate your time. I'm going to try one out at a local store (Hollowood Music) here in Pittsburgh, and I'll post about it asap....
  11. mmrxcsr01

EH B9 thoughts?

Thanks all, so it's good for all but bent notes? I get the shell chording idea, already do a lot of that...
  12. mmrxcsr01

EH B9 thoughts?

Happy Thanksgiving all....I recently found this pedal, I know it's been around for a bit, and have watched two or three video reviews. I have NOT seen much in the way of LEAD playing, only chording...does anyone have any experience with it as relates to the bending of notes, and sustain, as in...
  13. mmrxcsr01

Pickless lead guitarists in rock?

Stephen Stills....
  14. mmrxcsr01

A little help from the guitar players...

Ha...'cos the drummer was busy? Thanks all...
  15. mmrxcsr01

A little help from the guitar players...

"Roll Roll Roll", from the T-Birds "Butt Rockin' " lp...we tried it at rehearsal last night, and NO ONE can decide how to count it off...sorry to ask a beginner question...what do you think? TIA...
  16. mmrxcsr01

West Coast Blues Thread Version 19

Not WCB per se, but we do some through the night. 5E3 or a Super Rev build minus the rev and trem, 1x12", no pedals. I have Fender Lace Golds and the Powerhouse Strat board, volume, master tone (which gets cut out of the circuit altogether when full up) , and a 12 db boost as the last knob. I...
  17. mmrxcsr01

RIP Bob Burns. Original Skynyrd drummer

Simple curiosity, with respect...anyone see any interview with him explaining why he left a signed, "pro level" band?
  18. mmrxcsr01

Sweaty Betty

It was me, guilty as charged. Homebrew strat, and the Clarksdale is one of my builds. Pretty much just a 5E3 knockoff, but it gets the job done. Glad you enjoyed the band, if you get the chance, come see us again and we'll talk. Sweaty Betty's schedule is on Facebook...thanks!
  19. mmrxcsr01

Ever played a show and felt...nothing?

Well...I just thought, after years of small time gigs, bars, MC parties, etc, that standing on the main stage, something I'd never done, and looking out at a crowd would be different. Maybe I expected too much, dunno...loved the interaction with the band, but the experience as a whole seemed...
  20. mmrxcsr01

Ever played a show and felt...nothing?

I just had the chance to play a blues fest in Ohio, nice site, major headliners each night. A friend called and asked me to play a bit, and we wound up onstage as an opener. It really was fun, but...I walked off at the end of our set feeling like...I had missed something. Just me?
  21. mmrxcsr01

Johnny Winter playing new guitar

It's a Dean, I saw a "giveaway" ad in one of the music mags...
  22. mmrxcsr01

West Coast Blues Thread Version 18

If you're handy with electrical hookups, and (if you wanted) a little metal working skills, you can assemble a "Vintage Voltage " adaptor. I just finished one last night; it drops my house voltage from 120-122vac down to 111, at 3 amps. The link is here...and it cost a total of less than $50 for...
  23. mmrxcsr01

"Layla": How much different without Duane Allman?

Bobby's book "Domino" is a fine read, if you can find it. Also, "Layla" by (I think) Jan Reed is a good way to get a feel for those days and sessions. I always liked the DATD "Live " lp, but one day my 30-something son came by, heard it playing, and asked if this was a volume of EC's worst...