Search results

1. cheezit

it's 2021 - what's the best way to sell higher-ticket items?

I've got some older gear sitting around that has become fairly valuable -- a Fender 5B3 wide-panel tweed deluxe, for instance. I've literally never sold gear online, and have no idea how to do it with minimal risk/hassle and maximum return. I do not want random sketchy dudes coming by my house...
  2. cheezit

Dogs of Yesteryear...are now amazing?

I lived through the 1980s, where cheap guitars were really bad -- i mean really bad, unplayable garbage. But now I see threads where people dig up 80's pawnshop cheapo guitars (Hondos, etc.) and talk about how amazing they are. It could be that: 1) the cheapies were actually amazing, and i was...
  3. cheezit

Humbuckers should ALWAYS have three height adjustment screws

There, i said it. Any HB made in 2020 should be able to be used with three adjustment screws. Only using two is giving up function for appearance---if you're into that, go for it, it's your wonky-angle-pickup guitar. But I and any other right-thinking person should be able to have control...
  4. cheezit

Fender "Authorized" Paint repair...anyone found a place in Seattle?

Got a 2017 strat, bought a strap that had a defective rivet that scratched the paint, and the strap maker is offering to repair the paint. All the "Fender Authorized Repair Center" places I can find in Seattle (like GC, ugh) say they don't do paint repairs. Anyone got Fender to repair...
  5. cheezit

DIY Daughterboard: the Fuzz Zone

Did some new builds recently so decided it was time to reconfigure my fuzz board. In signal chain order (1) Lower right: LPB1 one-knob booster with switchable cap, giving both full boost and treble boost. (2) Lower middle: Octavia - built from General Guitar Gadgets it. (3) Lower left...
  6. cheezit

PSA: if you hear a "ping" sound when you are tuning...

Your tuners aren't bad. Chances are good you have a nut problem. Or a bridge problem. Or maybe just a bad string? What is very unlikely is that your tuners are bad. Maybe if you bought a $30 guitar at Walmart, but even then, the nut is probably the issue. The companies selling...
  7. cheezit

GAS detector: how many guitars have you bought, sold or traded in the last two years?

How many guitars have passed through your hands in the last two years? Be honest now.
  8. cheezit

DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF - not sure...

Just put a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF bridge in my 2017 AmStd Strat. The existing bridge HB was a Shawbucker and I was looking for something with a bit more beef and better noise rejection (my house has a very strong 180hz hum). The highlights: It's a great sounding and feeling pickup...
  9. cheezit

Crack between fretboard and neck?

I've got a line on an 2009 Epiphone Lucille for $250, but with two problems: - output jack problems, which means fishing the harness out and is a total PITA - a crack between the fretboard and the neck, on the high-E side, up toward the nut. Owner says it hasn't been dropped, but who knows...
  10. cheezit

LP: Juniors + Specials YAY, Standards + Customs BOO

I know those flat-topped, club-necked Juniors and Specials were cheapo student instruments back in the day. But I pick up a thick, heavy LP with a carved top and a bunch of flame in the maple top and it feels like driving my grandpa's Cadillac. A nice flat cherry slab of mahogony with a P90...
  11. cheezit

painting metal fretboard on beach/dorm guitar

I've got a beat-up Applause guitar (Ovation's cheapo line), with the following issues: 1) paint on metal fretboard has come up on first 7 frets 2) fretboard dots have all popped out 3) top is unattractive yellow Not sure i can do anything about the top (#3). Anyone ever repainted one of these...
  12. cheezit

Budget *full* hollowbody (not semi) ideas?

Need ideas for which budget full hollowbodies we should look at! My daughter wants to buy her first electric on a budget (~$400). She's a strummy/fingerpicking acoustic player but loves the look of hollowbodies - the f holes, the profiled top, etc. We went to Guitar Center and established...
  13. cheezit

used prices > new MSRP on reverb?

So there's the recent thread on basses - the Squier Bronco looks cool and goes for $149 with free shipping new, maybe I'll find a used one on reverb...what do I find? used for $99+$60 shipping = $159 used for $125+$45 shipping = $$170 used for $129.99+$39.99 shipping = $170 used b-stock for...
  14. cheezit

Best used offset under $400?

As an inveterate bottom-feeder, I like my used cheapies and have little concern about the name on the headstock. Now that the indie offset (Jazzmaster/Jaguar) craze has been underway for some years, I see a bunch of options on the used market for under $400: Squier J. Mascis Jazzmaster Squier...
  15. cheezit

What does "fat tone" mean?

I see people refer to "fat tone", or "fattening up" tone. Still not sure what that really means.
  16. cheezit

Do you watch your hands when you play?

I look when I'm practicing, but in a band context (though it's been a while) I'm watching the drummer or singer whenever I can.
  17. cheezit

FretLoops.com - please give it a try!

I've built a web-based tool at fretloops.com that should be useful for anyone wanting to build speed and accuracy when playing fast licks. From the about page: "FretLoops lets you create loops of single note lines, and play them back with variable tempo. This is ideal for practicing fast...
  18. cheezit

Tele - added neck humbucker and 4-way switch

I have a Squier CV with a neck pickup that's ok but I wanted to try something else. I had a GFS pickup around - a Hot Nashville Retrotron - and a 4-way switch, so I decided to try the ol' neck-humbucker-in-a-Tele. I made up a schematic of the wiring. As a bonus I bought a spectacular gold...
  19. cheezit

Advice plz: strat MIM trem - replace or redrill for standard trem?

I'm building a partscaster and found an awesome color on eBay (Electron Blue). Bought it on impulse and discovered that it is an MIM body, drilled for the narrower 2 1/16th screw holes, but the trem I have is standard US spacing (2 3/16th). I temporarily installed my US trem using the two...
  20. cheezit

New tune...

Got a new American Standard Strat recently, just trying out different sounds and ended up putting this together. This is all in Garageband, including all the Drummer stuff. I'm amazed at how capable it is, and how hard it is to get it to play something unusable. It's the little brother of...
  21. cheezit

NGD: 2016 Fender Am Std Shawbucker

2016 American Standard Shawbucker Strat in "Bordeaux Metallic Red." This is my first non-cheapie in a long time, doing all right and decided to treat myself. This is probably the Toyota Corolla of guitars in that price range, but I really wanted something that really nailed the basic Strat...
  22. cheezit

The mystery of the used gear market

I'm thinking about picking up a Fender strat body. I look on Amazon, I can get a new MIM Fender body for between 170 and 200. Hmm, I say to myself, what about a used body? I check out ebay, reverb, and craigslist. I see home relic jobs on MIM bodies with a starting bid of $250. I see dinged...
  23. cheezit

Alternative to George L's? Not so stiff?

I've got a 12ft George L cable that I use with my guitar. I love the sound of it, but it is so stiff that the coils pop up off the floor. The cord trips me up, gets in the way and generally is a nuisance. I'm looking for something of equivalent quality* but with a more relaxed, easy to handle...
  24. cheezit

Suhr Classic Pro = "modern sounding"?

I'm GASing for a Suhr Classic Pro. One comment that I've heard repeatedly (on TGP and elsewhere) is that they tend to have a 'modern' sound. I'm trying to figure out what that means. Clearly with SS frets, 2-point bridge, etc. the guitar is not a vintage replica, and I'm not looking for one...
  25. cheezit

Rockaudio Daphne Blue bodies - are they actually the right color?

Thinking about building a cheapie Daphne Blue partscaster. I *really* like the color: https://www.google.com/search?q=daphne+blue+strat&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIy8LUnrKQxwIVE0ySCh0jfA7o&biw=1121&bih=687 And Rockaudio.com has some very reasonably priced bodies in just...