Search results

1. cheezit

Strat players who correctly float the trem, how did you first discover this setup?

This is just the whole Star-Bellied Sneetches debacle all over again.
  2. cheezit

it's 2021 - what's the best way to sell higher-ticket items?

How do you handle payment? Paypal?
  3. cheezit

heyyy it's been a rough year man. :) ok, fixing title!
  4. cheezit

I've got some older gear sitting around that has become fairly valuable -- a Fender 5B3 wide-panel tweed deluxe, for instance. I've literally never sold gear online, and have no idea how to do it with minimal risk/hassle and maximum return. I do not want random sketchy dudes coming by my house...
  5. cheezit

80's and early 90's superstrats theory

I bought a Yamaha Pacifica 721 back then, which by all rights should be zooming up in value as it's a great Rich Lasner-designed superstrat with a fancy neck attachment that eliminates the heel, a solid Floyd, and surprisingly decent pickups. But Yamaha went downmarket while preserving the...
  6. cheezit

.Strandberg* Guitars

You think they are overpriced for what they are. Some others appear to think they are fairly priced. Nobody is right or wrong. What are you missing? Maybe the fact that prices for non-essential, highly personal items like guitars are determined by what people will pay, not what it costs to...
  7. cheezit

Things I don't like about Strats

Things I don't like about strats: - they have strings that I need to pick in the right way - the neck has frets and stuff and I need to put my fingers in the right spot - the sounds that come out come from what my hands did, instead of the sound that's in my brain - my arms and hands can't just...
  8. cheezit

Things I don't like about Strats

Thread Summarizer Question: I don't like vanilla ice cream because of the way it tastes and looks and also when I eat it my spoon hits the bowl and sprays food on the table. Answer 1: learn to like it. Answer 2: don't eat it, then. Answer 3: mix a bunch of chocolate sauce into it and eat it...
  9. cheezit

JAZZ ARTISTS! Conservative or Liberal?

Yep, i've heard this too. Them: "Can you go for a Freddie Green type of tone? Maybe turn down just a bit?" Me: "Oh, Freddie Green, that's the guy who everyone loves, but you can't hear him on the records? Sure." (me: turns my amp off) I really do try to blend in and play at a very modest...
  10. cheezit

My Steampunk DIY build

Nice tones and really nice playing.
  11. cheezit

People who flat out lie about their gear/music background?

From the article: University President Fisher says he’s already received a personal education in what these vintage instruments add to the art of making music. “I was always wondering, what’s the difference between my old Silvertone guitar and a Martin anyway,” he says. “Well, now I know...
  12. cheezit

XGP Body Arrives Tomorrow...

I don't think "all Fender necks" are the same - minor variations in heel depth, screw hole location, etc. The ones I've gotten from GFS in the past have had what appear to be standard Fender dimensions, but a bit of work to get the neck and body to be happy together seems reasonable to expect...
  13. cheezit

zemaitis z-series

I think the selling point for most of the Zemaitis guitars seems to be the aesthetic look. From what I can see (never played one) they appear to just be LPs otherwise, except for the shrunken upper bouts....and then some of the examples here don't have that metal or pearl look, and they look...
  14. cheezit

Experience with 12 strings...yay or nay?

step 3: go back and retune the regular set. They drifted, hmm. step 4: tweak the others, those drifted too, odd. step 5: play for 30s. Wait, something doesn't sound right. step 6: go to step 1
  15. cheezit

Fret replacement in Portland OR

Portland is a sizable city and the unrest is in a fairly small (but important) area. There's lots of places to be in Portland that aren't deeply affected. Similarly, Seattle had unrest last year that was mostly limited to about 10 square blocks. The national news makes things sound pretty...
  16. cheezit

Guitars that come alive at higher volumes

You pluck the string, and the energy goes somewhere. 1. Into the body, which may be stiff, or dead, or "resonant", and absorbs a little or a lot of the energy, and in the process puts a tonal and dynamic fingerprint on what the string is doing. That energy stays within a small range because...
  17. cheezit

Not exactly the best way to sell a $300 guitar case

i thought you were being snobby about the brand and then I noticed the condition of this thing. Wow.
  18. cheezit

Customer Service

DiMarzio - they have a 30 day swap policy, I exercised it, and they were amazing. I talked to them on the phone and over email, they gave me advice, custom wound the new pickup, and it's awesome.
  19. cheezit

GFS Pro Series pickups...worth it?

GFS punches way above their weight. Which is good, because they don't weigh much. The pickup offerings range from decent-for-the-money to suprisingly-good-for-the-money, with a few turkeys in there. Just don't expect Seth Lovers for $25. No idea if the Pro series is consistently better than...
  20. cheezit

That sticker covered hole on Strats

For Fender trems, the spring alone is lame, it doesn't do what it's supposed to. I've not had luck with teflon tape either. This, however is the bees knees...
  21. cheezit

Eaten frets on second hand guitar- question of morality

I think he touched a nerve amongst those who have been part of bad transactions where the buyer or the seller had unreasonable expectations. Plus some people read the first page and just post their reaction. Agreed he has accepted the answers, and also agree that people learning is something...
  22. cheezit

They are, but it depends on the player. i've never refretted a guitar, even ones i've owned for 20 years and played a lot --- they show wear, but play cleanly, and the only problem I've had to address is a bit of recrowning. I guess I have a light touch? Or maybe I'm less picky? Others seem to...
  23. cheezit

The expectations that you have are easy to satisfy - by buying from a reputable music store. They are (or should be) in the business of making you happy. They also charge for that service, so prices are higher. The random guy that you buy a guitar from doesn't offer any of that. Your...
  24. cheezit

Small claims court isn't Judge Judy. You pay for the privilege of trying to get a judgment, and if you do, good luck getting your money from the other party. Better to take this as a life lesson that you had to pay for. And that lesson is worth way more than the price of a guitar -- some...
  25. cheezit

American Original 50s and 60s Strats - Just demoed both...

Depends. Some necks shift more with weather, and some places have more extreme weather changes, and some people travel to places with more extreme shifts. If you live in LA and never take your guitar out of the bedroom, it might be "never." I'm in the Pacific Northwest and a few of my...