Search results

1. Mr. Brady

Tweaking vs playing time?

Say you have a typical hour to sit down and play guitar. How much of that time is spent tweaking your set up? Since I'm asking this in the digital modeling section I'm going to ask specifically about the modelers you use. Once I get a preset built to how I like it, I'm rarely touching any...
  2. Mr. Brady

Let's talk US Masters guitars.

So I've always liked HSS strats and I'm a guy with Suhr tastes but on an tighter budget. I happened across a US Masters Legrand for sale here on the Emporium. I did some research and couldn't find much about them, but it looked like it had decent hardware but a unique neck pocket. I didn't find...
  3. Mr. Brady

AxFx in the room with Alto TS212

So this is my first venture into videos on Youtube. All the talk about the Amp in the room and how it's missing in FRFR, I get it but I'm hard pressed to not like this tone in the room with my lowly Alto. I just hit record with my iphone. So the sound quality isn't from a nice high end...
  4. Mr. Brady

If you could only have 3 amp models, what would they be?

You get to pick 3 amp models from any modeling device to port into a newly designed pedal that has the ability to recreate those amps but only those three modeled amps down to the exact details as the original device. What are the 3 models you import?
  5. Mr. Brady

Beat this modeling rig for size!

Small size that is. I'm doing some traveling in the next week and wanted a small solution to play on the road. I don't like headphones so I realized I had one of these small blue tooth speakers with an Aux input. I already had a 1/8 inch adapter so I plugged it in and I now have my smallest...
  6. Mr. Brady

Is the modeler you use your first choice?

Do you fee like you had to settle on a second best because of needing to make some compromises due to budget, size limits, weight, features needed? Do you feel that the modeler you use as your main one is a stepping stone until you can purchase a better one or one comes out that fits your needs...
  7. Mr. Brady

So why do you use modeled overdrive or distortion pedals in your modeler?

I've often wondered why people use modeled overdrive or distortion pedals if you are using the modeled amps on your modeler. Assuming you can change patches or presets with relative ease, why don't you use a different patch and add gain or distortion to the amp? I've often thought this was the...
  8. Mr. Brady

Short review of the Amplifire 3 side by side with the AxII

So I picked up an Amplifire off the Emporium here. Shout out to Supersnake for a great transaction! I've been looking for something that just had some more portability to it than my AxII rig. I didn't really need the functionality of the Helix or Ax8, although I'm sure I'd love either one. I...
  9. Mr. Brady

If you don't play the latest generation of modelers loud, you're missing out.

It used to be that a modeler's sound was pretty much the same whether you played at quieter volumes or if you turned up loud. The saying was that you could get the "tube like sound at low volumes." This was mainly true. Turning up gave you the same thing, just at louder volumes. Feel stayed...
  10. Mr. Brady

A month in with the Axe Fx II, a review.

So it's been a little over a month since I've had my Axe II and MFC III board. I was on the waiting list for the Ax8, but got tired of waiting so I snapped up a great deal on a used Axe II Mark II with MFC and also an expression pedal. I got the whole package at a price that I could easily flip...
  11. Mr. Brady

I finally said I'm done with the Ax8 waiting list

So I purchased something different. It probably wouldn't have been too much longer really, I think I'm on the waiting list for 8 am on the 14th, but I decided I might as well jump ship and move forward with my guitar playing life. So I bought an..... Axe Fx II and MFC... :D Now in the few...
  12. Mr. Brady

How long could a modeler be made to last with manufacturing tech today?

10? 20? Years? Say we get a modeler that sounds as good as any tube amp and does every thing sonically we'd ever need. How long could an electronic device realistically last with the best manufacturing processes available today with no corners cut? I'd imagine PCB boards would be the weakest...
  13. Mr. Brady

Using HD500 for midi controller for AxeFx II?

Anybody have any experience with this? I'm on the Ax8 Waiting list, but was wondering if buying a used Axe Fx II and using my Hd500 as a midi controller would be something that would give me the best of both worlds (dual amps, live control with foot switching and expression pedal, and USB audio...
  14. Mr. Brady

Hypothetical question, which modeler would you take back in time?

It's Friday and I'm bored. You get transported back in time to the eve of the electric guitar age, 1965. You are in your 20's and have all the playing skills you have now. You are allowed to take with you one current piece of guitar modeling equipment from today. No accessories like foot...
  15. Mr. Brady

What are your favorite tube amps you've owned?

It's always good for me to be able to relate to peoples past experiences when the are satisfied or dissatisfied with gear. Since this is the modeling forum, I'm curious what tube amps and modelers people have use so I can understand your perspective. We've all seen on forums where guys that...
  16. Mr. Brady

Helix vs Ax8

Given what we know currently about both units as far as clips, hardware, DSP, routing and amp models. If price were not a factor, which do you chose? I love the helix for the UI, form factor, routing options. I've been a long time user of Line 6 gear going back to the POD XT. They've been very...
  17. Mr. Brady

Mark Day Axe Fx II vs Torpedo Live and amp

I was doing some research on the Torpedo Live and came across these two videos. Mark covers Dokken "In My Dreams" with a Friedman BE100 with a Two notes live and the amp and also with an Axe Fx II. It was a good comparison as far as tone. To me I prefer the Two notes tone in the song...
  18. Mr. Brady

I've really been liking my POD HD into the effects return of my Vox AC30cc1

I recently acquired a Vox AC30cc1 in a trade. I really like the amp, but it's not a two channel amp so I was hoping to get a little more flexibility out of it without having to buy a bunch of pedals. On a whim I plugged my HD500 into the effects return and I was very pleased with the results...
  19. Mr. Brady

Next step in modeling once we are 100% "there"?

I think the next move in the market, once things get very close to 100% there in terms of modeling will be making even more portable devices. I think we are seeing some of that already with the Ipad and Iphone integration, but could you imagine a modeler the size of your phone with Ax II or...
  20. Mr. Brady

What's the closest amp to a Bogner Shiva for tone in a combo less than 50 lbs?

I love my Bogner Shiva head and cab for the tone, but it's a bit much to lug around. I'd love to have a great clean and OD tone in a nice size packaged combo less than 50 lbs that compares to the Shiva. The Shiva combos are heavy and bulky so they are out. I'd like something close to the same...
  21. Mr. Brady

Will the digital age make chasing a guitarists tone easier or more difficult?

Most guys know what equipment their favorite guitar players used. It's pretty common knowledge what Angus, EVH, Gilmour, Page, Clapton, or Hendrix used. There may be a new generation of guitarists that will use devices like the Kemper, or Axe for their tone and it may not be something that is...
  22. Mr. Brady

Modelers and different guitars.

I just bought an Eric Johnson strat of a member here this past week. Great transaction, the guitar plays awesome. Anyway, I plug it into my Shiva and got some great strat tones without touching the settings. Nice warm cleans, singing leads. I then unplug and plug it into my POD HD. The POD has...
  23. Mr. Brady

The market for Axe-Fx FB 500, hypothetical discussion

I've been saying ever since I bought the Axe-fx and sold it that I would love to have the Axe-Fx in floor board form like the Line 6 HD 500. If Fractal had produced a stripped down Axe-Fx with 16 basic models, a suite of basic effects, put it in floor board form factor, with USB recording for...
  24. Mr. Brady

Bogner Shiva doesn't like single coils. Help.

Got a EL34 Shiva with reverb. Sounds great. However, it doesn't seem to like single coils on the gain channel. They sound muddy and like there's a blanket over the speaker. Not the clear thinner bell like tone you'd expect from a single coil into a distorted amp. I have two fender strats and...
  25. Mr. Brady

Bogner Shiva. What pedals are good distortion/boosts for the clean channel?

Hi, I recently got a Shiva and I want a pedal that works well with the clean channel to add more sustain, dirt, and fatten it up a little while still keeping the base tone. It needs to still be dynamic enough that I can roll off the volume on the guitar with the pedal engaged to get less dirt if...