Search results

1. R

Holy f**king WAH pedals choices! First world problems....

Spent some time looking through the Wah pedal choices. Dunlop has 33-ish different choices! Some look really cool, some not sure if the application is right for me. Have you guys had experience with these or other Wahs? Fulltone? BYOC? I want it to sound good. The Joe B. has caught my eye, but...
  2. R

Yamaha Revstar RSP20CR - 2 week review

Quick review of the Yamaha RSP20CR: PROS: Awesome look, flawless build Action and intonation was perfectly setup right out of the box VH7 pickups are some of the best sounding pickups I've ever played, articulate but can grind Dry switch is very useful and sounds fantastic when engaged on the...
  3. R

Recommend a guitar like this...

I am on a (real) search for a similar guitar as the Yamaha Revstar RSP20CR (custom, production, used, or new) except I would like: Fatter neck ('59 LP size or similar) A single-y type pickup in the neck (P90, TV Jones, Gold Foil (I don't have any experience with these)) A little lighter weight...
  4. R

Recommend a a great wah wah

Totally out of the loop (no pun intended) on this, but what would be a great all-around wah pedal? Does not need to be a classic cry baby and I want a slightly more modern sound, one that's quiet, and has a good sweep range. There's so many artist models, boutique, and other brands (Digitech)...
  5. R

Airline destroys vintage guitar!

It hurts to see this: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/vintage-gibson-guitar-delta-baggage-leevees-214634001.html
  6. R

Slash & Myles Kennedy

Just saw these guys on TV...I think it was the Galstonbury (sp?) festival. I totally dig Myles' voice. Very strong...somewhat Axl-like but sounds really really good. No problem hitting all the notes either. And Slash was playing his ass off. Great stuff...listening to Slash: the Itunes...
  7. R

Iron Maiden last night ... Scream for me Detroit!!!

Wow...great show last night. Bruce's voice sounded great, the band was tight. Not the biggest fan of the newer Maiden stuff but I will say they chose somgs that were pretty good live. Of course, once they played a classic the crowd went nuts. Janick Gers even toned down his ridiculous stage...
  8. R

Seriously????...Bluegrass??...give me a break!!!!

I'm shopping for an acoustic guitar. I have seen this countless times.."this guitar is good for bluegrass" (of course talking Martins). I just want to scream that most people don't give sh!t about bluegrass....most of us don't play it and don't listen to it so why is it so prominent when...
  9. R

Is the Crook Tele all it's cracked up to be?

Been searching for a great Tele...I need it to be versatile, not just the tele twang (I do want that) but other stuff too. The Crook looks like it could be it. There are lots of other nice ones out there too...so what do you guys think? Oh, my basic specs that I'm looking for: Big neck...
  10. R

Vintage tubes...

I'm converted!!! I was the biggest skeptic when it came to vintage tubes. Hogwash I said...I can get just as good tone with current production such as JJ's or the new Tung Sol's. Well I recently came into possesion of 12 50's & 60's 12AX7's including GE's from 1958, RCA's from 1960, blackplate...
  11. R

Divided by 13 cabinet maker....

I thought the guy that makes the /13 cabs posted here. Anyone know who he is? If so, please PM or email me. Thanks, Rich
  12. R

What does a Tele give me over a Strat?

OK, I'm a total Gibson LP humbucker lover. But...I have a pretty awesome Fender CS strat. It's a Music Zoo custom 60's "no Neck". Neck the size of a Nocaster, 9.5" radius, jumbo frets, lightly relic'd at the factory, full 60's appointments, light weight, etc... An awesome, awesome guitar...
  13. R

What's the diff between a Vibrolux & Super Reverb?

More specifically, I'm really talking about an Allen Encore and Old Flame. Aside from the wattage I'm really trying to decipher the "base tone" differences. Does one overdrive better than the other? Any insight will help, thanks!
  14. R

To 4x12 or to not 4x12....that is the question

I must be crazy. Reality tells me I could never use a 4x12 in any of the gigs or band things I do. But damn, I want one. I want one BAD! And I want a good one. I'm thinking a StoneAge or Mojo loaded with the new Heritage G12-65s. That would be a helluva cab for home use. And I think it...
  15. R

Why do I need a compressor?

This is going to sound silly, but I have the Keeley Compressor, but I need to know why I need it? I hear how it levels the sound between the highs, etc but it also feels as though some pick dynamics are lost. Can anyone tell me why I should use it then explain to me how? I'm a compressor...
  16. R

The last Tube Screamer you'll ever need...lot's o' PICS!

Take perfect TS808 circuit, add in some TS9 with the flick of a switch (or two), add the assymetrical clipping of the Boss Super Overdrive, then take some boutique style mods to give it that "Full Tone" and finally a tweak here and there and you can have all the "Dynamic" overdrive tones...
  17. R

KF Memorial amp at the NY/NJ Amp Show?

Guys, looking for info on the KF Memorial Amp being at the NY/NJ amp show. Will it be there? Also, what room? Thanks for any info! -Rich
  18. R

Tube ID help...

Hi all. Recently had a chance to tear into a Baldwin Organ and came away with a pretty big cache of tubes. I was wondering if anyone knew some info on the manufacturer of these tubes and could help me ID them. Pics here: http://home.comcast.net/~rszmagaj/ Here are the details: (30) 12AX7's...
  19. R

Gibson Les Paul vs. Fender Strat

I'm not talking about tone here, but rather lets say they were transformed in to human-like beings and made to fight in the octogon. I see the Gibson Les Paul as being somewhat Ken Shamrock-ish and the leaner, more nimble strat being like Royce Gracie. Who wins? -Rich
  20. R

1966 Pro Reverb questions - Average price? Pros/Cons?

Hey all, Saw a '66 Pro Reverb 2x12 w/ Jensens for sale but it was listed quite high at $2200. Just wondering what a more reasonable value is for this amp in fair/good shape. It does have a 3-prong power cord so I assume this is not original. Looks to have two footswitches with it as well...
  21. R

Why do people buy relics? And a huge neck afterthought...

Well, I finally found the answer myself. I purchased my first relic, a CS 60's strat with a Nocaster size neck in Daphne blue. I would say it is lightly relic'd. Still has finish on the neck, although very thin. All the other normal relicing nicks & cracks, etc... This pic is not the actual...
  22. R

Is this cool or am I a fool?

Just bought this and have a 2 day window to return if needed. It's a 60's custom shop relic with a Nocaster style neck, which is why I bought it. I love those chunky fat ass necks. Lightweight at 7.2 pounds (that's what the store said). Bigger neck radius and bigger frets, otherwise it's 60's...
  23. R

Dumble ODS in a pedal..is there such a thing?

OK, before anyone goes wacko on this thread, I'm just looking for a nice pedal that can get me some of those famouse Dumble tones. Robben Ford type stuff or some of the more known Dumble tones. Let me also say I can't afford a real Dumble amp, I can't build a clone, and I don't want to buy a...
  24. R

Country fried chickin' pickin' compressor needed

I am new to country pickin', but recently landed a gig as the 2nd guitar player in a full fledged old school country band. One thing not in my favor is I don't own a Tele but I do have an EJ strat and an R9. I mainly have played the strat with the bridge + middle pickup position selected but...
  25. R

Germino Classic 45 (JTM 45)...I never knew..

I never new how cool the JTM 45 circuit can actually be. I just acquired a Germino Classic 45 (thanks Evan) and the thing is killer...from clean to scream. I had a Marshall reissue a few years back but I never remember it sounding nearly as good. It is one loud mutha!! I've been used to...