Search results

1. H

Which pedals were instant keepers for you, no drama, no doubts?

Fulltone Soulbender Lovetone Big Cheese
  2. H

Joe Gagan Hotrod Clyde Ultra

I’ll get on that tomorrow! It’s a beauty!
  3. H

Is there a distortion or overdrive pedal that REALLY sounds like an overdriven tube amp?

For tube pedals I like the SIB Varidrive and the Crews Maniac Sound Valve Drive. For solid state I think the Origin Effects Revival Drive, MI Audio Tube Zone, Bogner La Grange, Friedman BE-OD, Lovepedal Les Lius and HAO Sole Pressure sound like various cranked amps.
  4. H

Has anyone here owned a Xotic bb preamp?

Definitely compressed. Had a kinda muffled high end - that has a way of making a pedal sound even more compressed to my ears. One of those pedals where all the treble end sounds like it’s covered in plastic wrap.
  5. H

EarthQuaker Devices ... do you like them and what are your favorites?

The Tusk may be the first EQD pedal I got. Nice fuzz. Little bit of hiss so it’s on the shelf mostly. Cool enough to keep among the fuzz pedals I’ve collected. I got a White Light Overdrive and have had it for a while because it’s pretty unique among overdrives. I had a Hoof and it wound up in...
  6. H

Joe Gagan Hotrod Clyde Ultra

I have an old Joe Gragan/Nine Volt Nirvana Dinosaur Fuzz that is so great. Really underrated box. And we were in Albuquerque last July! Would have been cool to pick up a pedal from him while on vacation, if that was even an option.
  7. H

What pedal for that early Malcolm Young crunch?

I think the Bogner La Grange can get those tones, depending on the rest of your rig to a certain point. Really great versatile pedal.
  8. H

MXR EVH 5150 Overdrive and the inherent compression

One of the reasons I moved that pedal along. I know people love it but I couldn’t get what I wanted out of it. The Friedman BE-OD and the old MI Audio Tube Zone give me a more convincing high gain amp tone.
  9. H

PlimSoul mkII

Feeling very gassy about this...
  10. H

Katzenkönig, who got one?

Hiss and hum are deal killers for me. A certain level is expected but if it has me thinking about how to “fix” it, that pedal is out the door. Excessive hiss is something the builder should have worked out.
  11. H

Archer vs other klones question

I’m with you. Got the Archer Ikon, partially because of videos and the video maker’s thoughts on the Ikon vs other klones, and because the J Rocket guys made the actual Klon KTR pedals for a while so they should know a thing or two about the circuit. I think the Ikon probably sounds like some...
  12. H

Colorsound Supa Tone Bender - Variations?

I would have kept a unit like yours for sure! The Hackett model added bass and it was too much for me. The sick thing is, I got the Steve Hackett model for $50 from a guy I traded with back in the 1990s. He threw the price out at a guitar show and I jumped on it. I hope JHS will do this pedal in...
  13. H

Recommend Me Some Japanese Boutique Pedals!

Yes, and it sounds sick. Gets out of hand past 1 or 2 o’clock on the gain as I remember. Like an exploding Vox. I need to dust it off and give it a spin again. Been a while. It’s not like the SIB Varidrive at all. There’s a lot more compression in the signal and the distortion is a lot more...
  14. H

What OD/dirt pedal are you using?

Sunface or Sputnik III or SIB Varidrive.
  15. H

Colorsound Supa Tone Bender - Variations?

I had this one and wish I hadn’t sold it. I did move it along because it had a huge low end that wouldn’t dial out and I found my favorite sounds from it could be found on my Lovetone Big Cheese.
  16. H

Your favourite delay

Eventide TimeFactor
  17. H

Pedals you were hyped up for that ended up being a flop

Got some oldies in my list... >Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret had a weird treble end that sounded like each note was wrapped in plastic wrap. >Timmy just kinda bored me. I have a lot of clean boosts and low gain ODs that are just inspire me more or something. >Catalinbread Super Charged...
  18. H

Recommend Me Some Japanese Boutique Pedals!

I really like the first batch of Crews Maniac Sound pedals from the 1990s. They’ve released other pedals since but they completely abandoned this design which I think was great. Very Way Huge like but even cooler with the fins and rounded edges on the top.
  19. H

Pedals that lived up to the hype that caused you to buy it

Analogman Sunface NKT 275 high gain white dot, the BC183 Sunface and the King of Tone. I think I got the Bogner La Grange before much hype but dang, that’s a winner. Way Huge Green Rhino and Red Llama are aces. Now I want the Green Rhino MK IV version. The Overrated Special is pretty cool, I...
  20. H

I think I know why modelling isn't more popular

You are correct. Metallica is using modeling on tour. METALLICA! I think what the op maybe meant is “why we aren’t all using modelers?” because on paper it’s a done deal - all those amps and pedals and speakers and cabinets and mics and rooms - who wouldn’t!? I could sell one amp and 2-3 of my...
  21. H

What Pedals Have You Bought in 2021?

I should receive my Spaceman Effects Sputnik III today! Really looking forward to playing with it.
  22. H

I think I know why modelling isn't more popular

One thing modelers will probably never get “right” is pedal stacking and the pedal’s interaction with the amp and guitar’s volume knob. We all know how that works with a Fuzz Face circuit but there are other pedal combos that are just not worth the time for modelers to track down an emulate. I...
  23. H

US Patent #US6459023B1 Expires 2021-01-26

PAF pedalboards gonna be lit AF!