Search results

1. ari

Good iPad PDF Reader for chord and lyrics charts?

Hey guys, what do you recommend for a good PDF reader? Here are my requirements: - Ability to annotate / draw on the document using Apple Pencil - Organize charts in lists in particular order so if I use it for performing they are in the order of the set list - (nice to have) access to my...
  2. ari

Any experience with Phostenix's Strat-X wiring w/ S1 and Super Switch?

I think it functioned the way it was described -- in series.
  3. ari

Any experience with Phostenix's Strat-X wiring w/ S1 and Super Switch?

I asked my tech to modify my Strat with the Strat-X wiring that was originally posted on this site https://sites.google.com/site/phostenixwiringdiagrams/strats/strat-x. The images are no longer available, but I had downloaded the one I wanted, below: My only question is this: has anybody...
  4. ari

I need a definitive list of jazz guitar trios

I think it would. I checked out some of his stuff, haven't found something that works for me, but I recognize his talents.
  5. ari

Whoa, that's a long list! Keep them coming! Whenever possible, though, please list specific albums -- the point here was to be able to identify jazz guitar trio records. Many jazz musicians have a long catalog of albums and it's hard to pick out which ones are trio recordings for the...
  6. ari

Generally I'm not into jazz but every once in a while I realize that I love jazz guitar trios. But it's sometimes hard to tell which albums are jazz guitar trios -- so what I'd love is if we can create a list. Let's start with some assumptions: The default configuration is guitar, bass and...
  7. ari

Help Me Decide Whether to Refret or Replace a Strat Neck

Thanks everyone! I don't think I'm going to try to have the radius of the existing neck changed. I understand that refretting is a major piece of work in itself -- changing the radius doesn't seem like worth the risk. I did consult my trusted tech and he was dismissive of changing the radius...
  8. ari

Thanks, but where can I buy an Eric Johnson spec neck?
  9. ari

My main guitar, my 1989 US 57 Reissue Strat, is in need of refretting. I love how the guitar sounds, but I am not in love with its vintage 7.5" radius -- I always have to string it with 9s because the action needs to stay high in order not to fret out when bending higher up the neck. I've...
  10. ari

The brightest noiseless single coils? Mojo? Zexcoil?

Well, agreed, and that's fine -- I just wanted to know which ones among noiseless are the brightest. I got Area 67 b/c they are supposed to be the brightest at least among Dimarzio's offerings. I suppose another route to consider is to get Suhr's silent single coil system and use it with true...
  11. ari

The brightest noiseless single coils? Mojo? Zexcoil?

I have Area 67 in neck and middle of one Strat-type guitar, but they sound a bit dull/dark in that guitar. (I have them also in a real Strat and I like them just fine in that guitar). Are Zexcoil or Mojo Sound '58 brighter than Area 67? Note I'm not very concerned with whether they sound...
  12. ari

The Right Delay Is a Sigh of Relief (Bomes Ape)

I didn't notice any tone sucking with mine.
  13. ari

The Right Delay Is a Sigh of Relief (Bomes Ape)

When I demoed it I did briefly set the modulation to subtle. You'll have to listen with good headphones or speakers to really hear the modulation. I set the video to start in the middle when I have the modulation up quite a bit, then in a few seconds I dial it down.
  14. ari

Does Getting a Tight High Gain Tone Require More Than Getting the Right Pedal?

Thank you all for great suggestions! They are all helpful. It seems many of us agree a closed-back cab with a different speaker is essential. That's what I thought, too, but I just wanted to confirm before I actually go down that route. Responding to a few of the comments below: That's...
  15. ari

Does Getting a Tight High Gain Tone Require More Than Getting the Right Pedal?

I got my low to medium gain covered, but now I'm interested in having tight, modern high-gain sound in my arsenal. But so far I've been dissatisfied with my results, even when I get high-gain pedals that sounded perfectly tight in demos I've watched. My amp is Laney LC-50II, a 6L6-based combo...
  16. ari

Chase Bliss Brothers

So far the tones they're showcasing are on the warm and woolly side.
  17. ari

Chase Bliss Brothers

I'm super excited about the range of choices and preset-saving feature (finally!) but feel trepidation about the single tone knob and the fact that they went with fuzz and not distortion. It's an interesting dichotomy they went for. On one hand they were after original sounds, so they're not...
  18. ari

Looking for more North American indie prog rock acts...

Thanks, I will check them out. I've heard of DEP. I like metal, though assuming there's strong melodic element somewhere in the mix, if not in vocals.
  19. ari

Tell me about "dirty" comps

I did watch a demo or two and was intrigued -- the lack of tone control is a bit concerning, but really, as long as it doesn't rob highs or lows it's OK. Do you like it?
  20. ari

Tell me about "dirty" comps

I'm looking for a compressor with dirt and/or some character -- mostly for use with legato solos. I do need it to be a compressor and not a boost nor a compressed OD, with a fair amount of compression on tap. I tried Philosopher's Tone Germanium and didn't like it, especially the Grit tone...
  21. ari

Looking for more North American indie prog rock acts...

Looking for new music, plus a bit of market research. Please name acts that fit most of the criteria below: US or Canada based, English-language act w/ vocal (not instrumental acts) Progressive rock (term used loosely to mean longer songs and non-traditional song structures. Not necessarily...
  22. ari

Songwriting Analysis: Why We Don't Get Tired of Jimi Hendrix "Little Wing"

I agree, and as a songwriter myself theory isn't the first thing that enters my mind when I'm writing. However, theory is very handy when you want to learn and steal from the greats.
  23. ari

Songwriting Analysis: Why We Don't Get Tired of Jimi Hendrix "Little Wing"

Also try doing it at the end of the progression -- either add two beats or subtract two beats. It may create a nice surprise.

Trending Topics