Search results

1. NoahL

Here's what a Fender Heavy pick looks like after a few weeks on the road

LOL. He's put out 13 records and has played with Ry Cooder, Alejandro Escovedo and 100 more, so he sells tickets. He's just a creature of habit, I guess.
  2. NoahL

Here's what the pick sounds like.
  3. NoahL

Belongs to the fine roots-rocker and Austin favorite Jon Dee Graham. Well, here's the URL since as usual this site won't render a Flickr photo. What a drag. https://flic.kr/p/TYMcZP
  4. NoahL

Gibson Nighthawk pickup question

On the original Nighthawks with the slanted bridge humbucker, is it a conventional humbucker or just two Fender-style single-coils in series? I know the Duncan reissues offer JB or 59 "voicing," but I wondered about the original. I've seen these called both M Series and NHT Series, but one of...
  5. NoahL

Is there a pick like this?

Gotcha. I tried this one, kinda like it, but I just couldn't get the pick st the right angle. That made me wonder if there's one truly made for the first finger. But I'll try the one you suggest...
  6. NoahL

Is there a pick like this?

Thumb picks position the plectrum just like if you were holding a regular pick. But fingerpicks create a claw. Is there a pick you can wear on your first finger that puts the plectrum in the same spot as a thumb pick would? I've tried various odd thumb picks, even have heated them up to try to...
  7. NoahL

Dumb question, but which way does a Tune-o-matic Bridge go?

Isn't there another consideration, which is if the slot has been pre-filed so that it "falls off" toward the tailpiece, you don't want to turn the saddle around so the fall-off is toward the pickups. Of course you can adjust so the fulcrum point is in the right spot, but you won't get the...
  8. NoahL

First Act "Alnico 52" pickups?

Great answer, thank you! And you're right about the rings. I have one, need another. Anyone got one to sell me? Thanks again.
  9. NoahL

First Act "Alnico 52" pickups?

I know the company put out a ton of cheap stuff and some custom shop stuff. But I can't find info on these pickups. Anyone?https://flic.kr/p/PSytfp
  10. NoahL

Ybarra pickup wiring question.

Why is that not true on a volume pot? The answer must be simple, but I'm curious.
  11. NoahL

Adding fallaway to upper frets...

That's a fairly radical solution no matter what. More for situations where an old guitar has a hump at the body, I think. I read your other post. If as you say the relief is still only .010" (width of a high E string) AND you haven't filed the nut slots yet, your strings might not have enough...
  12. NoahL

Ybarra pickup wiring question.

I opened up a strat with 2011 Custom Shop AY pickups. They meter at 5.2 each. Found a 500k tone pot (literally meters 504k) and a treble bleed. The guitar sounds more Stratty than any I've played. Real stringy and acoustic, super-quack, all that. But it IS trebly (maybe that explains the magic?)...
  13. NoahL

G&L bi-cut neck with hairline crack at the seam

Not surprised. I'll do the glue unless there's a better suggestion. Thanks for the reply, WhoIs.
  14. NoahL

G&L bi-cut neck with hairline crack at the seam

35-year-old bass. G&L used to make necks with a seam longitudinally slightly off center. Supposed to strengthen and prevent warping. Well, the neck had too much relief, and I had to add a washer on the truss rod to get it right, and maybe I had to tighten it a lot to finally get the relief...
  15. NoahL

Bass scale question

Great answer. No wonder the guy gave up on the project and tossed it into eBay. Thanks, Walter.
  16. NoahL

Fret Leveling Question

All things being equal, and assuming a perfect new setup, won't a guitar with shallower frets and .11s seem harder to play at first because the shallow frets don't give you as much leverage around the "fulcrum" so to speak? I'd think that making the frets shallower would feel kind of like going...
  17. NoahL

Weird Wiring Issue In Used LP

Does bridge-only sound different from middle position? If not, there's something wrong at the switch and the neck pickup and controls aren't out of the circuit. The switch could be defective and the leaf spring associated with the neck isn't being pushed out of the way as it should when the...
  18. NoahL

Broken Duncan Pickup Leg

If the leg came bent and one tweak broke it off, it's defective, I'd say. The legs should come plumb and the steel should not be that brittle. Duncan shouldn't quibble one bit.
  19. NoahL

Bass scale question

would a 25.5"-scale bass be playable without stringing it with piano wire? I ask because a guy here is selling a failed Tele>bass experiment and I assume he discovered the geometry was impossible?
  20. NoahL

are these pots re-usable?

Do you have a meter? Hook it up and measure the ohms at 10, 9, 8, etc. It should taper the same as a new pot. If it doesn't, all the soldering has fried a bit of the resistor element inside. I've had old pots like that and instead of sucking all the solder off I've heated it up and smeared it...
  21. NoahL

Oil finishing raw neck - do fretboard as well?

Once on impulse I tung-oil-varnished a rosewood board along with the rest of the guitar. Fewer coats, though, and wiped off thoroughly. It was lovely -- smoother, prettier, more like a maple board in feel. Since then I've seen several posts from guys who say they do it with every rosewood board...
  22. NoahL

I have I have a theory

Correction: hypothesis:). The more you crank the truss rod, the more tension that wood is under, right? SO: the more you have to crank the truss rod to achieve the right relief, the more "alive" the neck is. Let's explore. Sometimes people feel a guitar has a "dead" neck, right? Are these often...
  23. NoahL

Why is UPS always so much more than eBay calculates?

Thanks for all the interesting replies. Lesson learned.
  24. NoahL

Why is UPS always so much more than eBay calculates?

I think I confused you. eBay asks me for all the shipping details when I post an item. Then it bills the buyer $28 for shipping on my behalf. When I click through to PayPal from eBAy, the cost TO ME is $48 and I lose $20. Nobody has really answered my question: why does eBay under-calculate...

Trending Topics