Search results

1. V

Zagray! Perhaps the finest guitar amp built today

That was intentional. I needed to hear how far the amp needs to be pushed till begins to gag and choke or self-oscillate. GAIN, DRIVE & MV. were dimed, EQ flat. Didn't oscillate. Got raspy voice, that's all.
  2. V

The "Zagray!" goes from prototype to product

OK friends, I am back! A lot has been happening during last 18 months, including unwelcome serious health issues. I am now in a much better shape than I was in February 2018 and am weilding my soldering sword with renewed strength. To celebrate my return back to the living I upgraded the...
  3. V

Amp Compression

Clean non overdriven compression in the Zagray! is generated in both the preamp and power amp. Preamp compression: interplay of each triodes operating condition and its grid stopper so that grid clipping is eliminated. Also each gain stage's headroom is progressively higher the closer that gain...
  4. V

Why do amp designers hate more versatile tone controls?

And contrary to my personal preference Zagray tone control circuits are passive, not active like the Tubewonder has.
  5. V

You guys sound like you need to get on the list for 2018 batch.:cool: Give it a serious thought then, I'll build only 10 Zagray! amps next year.
  6. V

Possibly. Stay in Clean mode, don't overdo Drive. Bass between noon and 2 o'clock, treble around 3 pm. Mid at 9am, Range on 2 or 3, use Accent to switch between dark/bright tone, trim with Crystal. DRIVE can push it into crunch. This is an approximation, tweak a little with knobs to get right...
  7. V

Most cutting edge tube amps out today in terms of tone

I'm positively still in business. Website will be down as soon as this years hosting fee is depleted. Word of mouth, video demos, small tone fest type of venues work better for me than a website. I have limited my output to not more than 10 amps per year. BTW the Zagray was introduced in 2011, a...
  8. V

Yes, still in production. Preparing the MK2 batch for this new year 2017. Some small tweaks... Best of all: no big price increase, just an adjustment to increased shipping costs.
  9. V

Zagray amp, have you heard it?

Hi guys, yes, I've a gone sort of underground, partly due to too much static noise in various fora and partly due to some foreseen but unexpected life events. Also, NY Ampshow has unfortunately became a non-event and Nashville AmpExpo also had some organizational problems. I did exhibit in the...
  10. V

The 2015 Nashville Music Gear Expo

Hi there ppl! Already installed in the Hotel Preston. The room is 307. The Zagray! amps are there, Boozter de'Boozter pedals too. It has grown from an amp to "The Zagray! System". Come by, have a seat, grab an axe and check out the tones the tones. Everything has to go! I'm really not at all...
  11. V

Amp techs: what LCR meter are you using?

Got a Mastech MS5308 LCR 100Hz to 100kHz http://www.p-mastech.com My test & measurement instrument. Not a toy.
  12. V

Power Transformer gets HOT

Standard norm for a transformer built in box is 65-70C (ca 150-160F) maximum on the surface of core. That's really hot to the touch, if you touch it lightly you'll pull back your hand within 3 seconds. Personally, I don't like running transformers at their max allowed temperature. The warning...
  13. V

is it possible to put an EQ pedal just after the reverb tank of an amp?

Signal level from reverb tank is on par with a SM57 mike. An EQ pedal expects at least 20-50 times more. Pick the signal off after the reverb recovery stage. Just install a simple serial fx-loop there and it should work fine.
  14. V

Do I actually need a soldering station?

Guys, we are in the 21st century now:D It's only fitting we should be using most modern tools to work on stuff based on almost 100 years old technology. I donated my old hair curling iron to the local radio museum after I got a Thermatronics (Management spin off from Metcal).
  15. V

Theoretical maximum output of 2 EL34s near 200W?

Theoretical maximum efficiency of class B Push-Pull amp is 50%, in practical application, taking into account OT efficiency etc, you'll be getting just above 40%.
  16. V

5686 tube experience?

You can run 2 of these in class B2 push-pull and easily get close to 15W output.
  17. V

LA AMP SHOW Oct 4&5 10th Annual Event!

I was really looking forward to participating and showing off the Zagray! guitar amp system. It has grown beyond just a head and a combo. Regretfully, travel and shipping logistics didn't work out the way I planned. Out of my control. Well, I hope to make it next time. Have a lot of fun at the...
  18. V

Oscillation: Cause and Cure.

Correct, there are many out there who have no experience and/or understanding of what makes a well functioning component placement and lead dress/layout, be it eyelet board, pcb or any other method. It's all physics and it applies equally to all build methods. Honestly, I almost daily see both...
  19. V

Friedman amps gut shots?

+10 If anyone needs to clone/copy a circuit it only means he/she hasn't got the skills to design one. Which also means that the copy/clone won't sound like the original. It may be a decent approximation but that's all. I post detailed photos of my own designs pretty often. I rely on common...
  20. V

Zagray! alive & well

Been in the shadows of late but we're still here. A couple short clips with the Zagray! combo from the Fuzz Guitar Show 2014 in Gothenburg, Sweden May 10-11. Recorded with Nokia Lumia 1020 smartphone. Not fully pro sound quality but a couple notches better than other phone cams. Two clips...
  21. V

The Zagray! - alive and well

A couple fresh clips with the Zagray! combo from the Fuzz Guitar Show 2014 in Gothenburg, Sweden May 10-11. Recorded with Nokia Lumia 1020 smartphone. Not fully pro sound quality but a couple notches better than other phone cams. Two clips uploaded so far, will add a couple more in coming days...
  22. V

Microphonic cap in my brown super?

Yes, ceramic caps are often microphonic, especially the variety dipped in brown gunk. Had one do same thing in a Vox AC30CCH, it was used as signal coupling cap out of 1st gain stage - soemthing these caps are definitely not suitable for. However, the blue one you have is dipped in dense...

Trending Topics