• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Search results

1. B

Popping, crazy buzzing... power tube looks like it's about to explode

I got it working. It did. As I stated in my post one of them was broken at the guide post all the way up to the glass. That was the original source of my problems (the popping). The second problem, the loud crazy buzzing, was a result of me not setting the ohm selector to 8 after I removed the...
  2. B

Popping, crazy buzzing... power tube looks like it's about to explode

Posted this over at the Splawn forum... (link) I have a Quick Rod with KT77s. thought I'd post here too, seems to be more busy here. Earlier today at practice I noticed some weird popping. The kind you hear when you step on a true-bypass tuner or pedal of the like. It started only doing it...
  3. B

Custom scalloping?

I'm usually a DIY guy but I'm not doing this myself. Period. Blackmore and Yngwie did their own but I'd rather have it turn out looking decent too.
  4. B

Seafaring Guitars

Strings will get rusty quickly as well. Put it in its case when not in use and it should be fine. I think most guitar cases come with a pack of silica gel or something similar to prevent moisture build up.
  5. B

Custom scalloping?

That's Blackmore style scalloping. Personally, I bend the hell out of the EAD strings too, even on chords. Otherwise, I have a light touch when not employing vibrato, so a full-blown scallop would not be a problem. Btw.. I would not feel comfortable scalloping a neck using a Dremel.
  6. B

Custom scalloping?

Positive.
  7. B

Custom scalloping?

Well, my issue with the D/A truss is that it makes the neck sound clunky and dull. They're more sturdy but I'm willing to take that hit for better tone. In regards to the side dots, Warmoth places them slightly lower. I suppose one could order the neck w/out any inlays and have the...
  8. B

Show your guitar pick !!!

Tortex Jazz 1.14mm. Mine are black though. "Cool Picks" 1mm grip are also pretty good. I also want to try Gator Grip. Never tried a V Pick either. Trying new picks has mysterious GAS-curing properties.
  9. B

Show me your Super Strats!

Nice stuff guys! Here's mine. Warmoth bod Musikraft neck. Alder/maple. All finished in Tru Oil. ... and this is my "to be completed" pile:
  10. B

Favorite Strings?

8-38 on all my Strats and super-strats. I'm a vibrato guy. They also allow for spring tension to be reduced, facilitating easier tremolo dives (if using a guitar equipped with one). On Gibson scale length, I use 10-46. They just sound beefier. Don't care about brand name too much, though I...
  11. B

I Hate Les Pauls!

I don't think I'll ever own one.. too expensive. Though Gibson is using a PLEK machine for the new Standards...
  12. B

Custom scalloping?

Where can I send, for instance, a Warmoth/USACG/Musikraft neck to be scalloped? Are there any luthiers out there that offer professional level scalloping? Are there any companies with websites that I could send it to? I know Warmoth does but they limit it to "Warmoth Pro" construction and that...
  13. B

6100 versus 6105 Frets - which is easier to bend on?

I have 6000 fretwire (.118" x .058") on all my parts Strats. The bigger the fret, the better. Especially for vibrato. It's easier to dig into the string without being impeded by the fretboard wood itself, and that allows for easier legato, tapping, sweeps, and vibrato. It's kinda like they teach...
  14. B

Les Paul necks

Why not just take it to a luthier and ask to have the neck back profile sanded down to fit your hand? Heck, you can even do this yourself and then refinish it with Tru Oil. If you don't want to get your hands dirty or are just sick of that guitar in general, I would stay away from Epiphones as...
  15. B

Flying V - A Practical Guitar?

Agree bigtime, like computer chair or edge of bed it's perfect. Couch? Nah, but 99% of the time I spend practicing, I'm on my computer anyway. :) Standing up, it's just the best. The strap peg positioning is perfect. It definitely is unrivaled in terms of upper register fret access. The only...
  16. B

What's Your Favorite Finish?

Strat: Olympic white Les Paul: Lemonburst with flame top, or Goldtop Shredder: Natural finish. Or if using a quilt/flame top, Warmoth's Caribbean burst:
  17. B

Finally tried an SLO 100

IMO, the SLO is quite possibly the greatest upper-end 100w tube amp. It just has the "tear your face off" x-factor that many amps seem to lack.
  18. B

Gibson vs. Hamer... and the winner is??

Ironically his tone on LZI is thicker than on LZII and onward studio recordings, and guess which era he was using his LP. His live tone however is perfect. Chunky enough, with plenty of Marshally bite.
  19. B

'07 R0 Gold Top refin is home.

That one just does it for me. Holy hell I want that guitar! :BITCH
  20. B

Presonus Inspire 1394

It works fine and every recording software I've tried has detected it perfectly (Audacity, Sonar, Waves, Cubase) and there are tons of I/O. It has two XLR and two 1/4 inputs, plus RCA composite inputs. You can run headphone out, and speaker monitor out. I run XP but operating system has...
  21. B

Presonus Inspire 1394

It is too good to be true. The built in preamp is a piece of trash. I have one and would run something like this in front of it. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-TUBEPre-Microphone-Preamp?sku=184125
  22. B

Gibson's faded finish

I haven't experienced this to prove it 100% one way or the other. I've played some killer Fadeds and some brittle/trebly ones. Same story with the regular nitro finish Gibsons. It's just a light satin finish that most people think plays more quickly than lacquer. I wouldn't try removing it, as...
  23. B

Who is the Most Underrated Guitarist?

Adrian Vandenberg Ronni LeTekro Akira Takasaki Michael Schenker Gary Moore John Norum Downing/Tipton (the fathers of speed metal, yet ignored to this day by the guitar mags)
  24. B

Where to buy a Les Paul style body & neck?

I've been recommended Soulmate Guitars for setneck or neckthru. http://www.soulmateguitars.com/
  25. B

SG Necks

I think SG Standards have 60s slim necks. The only thing I worry about with SGs, especially with the 50s baseball bat necks, is the guitar being neck-heavy since the body is so small. I would recommend a 60s style slim taper neck not only because I think they play better, but also to be safe...