• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Search results

1. southpaw pete

In a castle... in Germany!

Some good friends are getting married, and they really, really wanted my wife and I to perform for the wedding. We've played a lot of weddings over the years... But this one is going to be in a castle... in Germany! So, it looks like we are flying out from Alberta, Canada over to Germany next...
  2. southpaw pete

Boss CS-3 Ovni bass mod review

I've been through a number of compressors over the years - VS Comp 66, TC Nova Dynamics, MXR Dyna Comp, stock Boss CS-3 and a Diamond Comp. As you can probably guess, the Diamond has been my go to. So subtle, natural and quiet (and really, a piece of art in pedal form). But lately I've been on...
  3. southpaw pete

Effect types you keep trying to like...

I actually like the sound of chorus sometimes, especially as heard on early 90s recordings (not grunge so much as on the guitars of the Cranberries stuff, if that makes any sense). But try as I might, I rarely use the effect. Over the years I've owned the Boss CE-2, DC-2, CE-5, CH1, CE-20...
  4. southpaw pete

Expensive pedals you rarely use...

I've got a few super good, but rather expensive pedals that I've acquired in trades... the Moogerfooger 12 stage phaser and Strymon Ola chorus. They are both AMAZING pedals, in tone, build and tweakability... but... I hardly ever use chorus or phaser. I like the idea of those effects, and enjoy...
  5. southpaw pete

Strymon Ola

I know there are a LOT of Strymon users on here, but for whatever reason there doesn't seem to be many threads, or even online reviews, about the Ola. So I figured I'd post something. I know there are a lot on here who just avoid chorus altogether because of it's overuse in the 80s. For whatever...
  6. southpaw pete

The Quest for Tone

Ah, the quest for tone: that ellusive goal that seems ever just out of reach. Through your sonic journey, have you found a few (possibly surprising) pedals that just work for you and outlast all others? I've found that I have a few pedals that simply work best for me. I've gone through...
  7. southpaw pete

An epic tale of a boy and his iStomp

Okay, its not really an epic tale, but more of a long-winded rambling of a guy about his gear... I remember when the iStomp came out, and thinking what a cool concept it was, except that I didn't own any iOS devices. So I didn't buy one, and eventually forgot about it. Then this year I bought...
  8. southpaw pete

Yes, another Timmy thread...

So... I finally own a Timmy! Thankfully, my wife can appreciate how great that is, but only wants to hear so much about it... and none of my other musician friends around here even know what a Timmy is or who Paul C is. So, I thought I'd share my excitement with my TGP friends. :beer I've...
  9. southpaw pete

Visual Sound Dual Tap Delay noise...

I have recently been noticing how much noise is in my rig. All of my pedals are powered through a VL Pedal Power2 which is a lot quieter than when I was daisy chaining off of a 1 Spot, so I thought it wasn't too bad. But then I decided to bypass the pedals altogether and see how my guitar...
  10. southpaw pete

NPD (Vintage Boss Content...)

Picked up a beautiful Boss OD-1 today. Silver screw, OD (long dash) 1, serial number 6600. As you will see in the pics, it is in excellent condition inside and out. Even the paint hardly has a blemish! The only thing lacking was that the little black rubber piece the foot switch screw goes...
  11. southpaw pete

VS.XO vs. Open Road/808

I've been using the Open Road/Route 808 combo for a few years. Kick them off for a little while to try something else, but they always return. I really love the Open Road as a low gain (gain around 10:00), and then pushing it with the 808 (or Jekyll) for that little extra oomph. With that in...
  12. southpaw pete

Pedals you have, and enjoy... but just don't seem to use...

:huh There is probably another thread on here like this... I've got a Carbon Copy. Second one I've owned. I love it's nice dark and murky repeats, but always end up using my Dual Tap or DD7. I guess I prefer clearer repeats for live performance (and having tap tempo). I think about trading or...
  13. southpaw pete

Decay on the 1/2 Gainer

I LOVE the Barber LTD; it is such a perfect drive for my setup. That touch of mids while still retaining such clarity is simply a thing of beauty. I also have the 1/2 Gainer, which is quite impressive, but no matter how I dial it in, both inside and out, I simply cannot achieve the sound of...
  14. southpaw pete

Well, OD-3, you've done it again...

I am currently playing a Godin through a stock Blues Jr. Really enjoying the little amp, and have spent the last few months switching out different dirt boxes from my collection to see which ones fit best for what I am looking for - usually a low gain, gritty clean that thickens up as I dig...
  15. southpaw pete

New speaker or another pedal for my Blues Jr?

I recently bought a Blues Jr. III. It is such a great little amp! I've found that my good ol' Barber LTD is a perfect fit for a little extra grit, and I was thinking of buying a Direct Drive for that little extra oomph when needed (for leads etc). I do have other overdrives I could use, but...
  16. southpaw pete

Looking at a new tube amp for worship...

Like many other churches, stage volume is an issue for us, so when playing my electric at church I've ended up running direct with my pedal board through the Sansamp Liverpool. It gets pretty good results, but lately I've been wanting more. I miss the actual interaction between the guitar and...
  17. southpaw pete

Visual Sound Chorus discontinued...

On the Visual Sound web page they have Angry Fuzz, H2O and Liquid Chorus under the category "discontinued". I like the Liquid Chorus. Wondering when/if they are going to be reintroducing a chorus in their V3 series... Anybody heard anything? :munch
  18. southpaw pete

Visual Sound Dual Tap Delay...

I had been using the Boss DD-7 since it was released, and really enjoy the amazing diversity in that little pedal. It really does the crystal clear delays really well, but I hadn't really connected with the analog or modulated delays. So I've been curious about picking up another delay of these...
  19. southpaw pete

Another Visual Sound thread... re: J&H

I'm a long time happy owner of the Open Road and Route 808. Recently I was offered a Jekyll and Hyde in trade, and went for it. I figured since I really like my 808, I'd probably enjoy the J&H too. It is a cool pedal, but I noticed one major difference between the Jekyll side and 808. I know...
  20. southpaw pete

EQ or Spark Booster?

I've realized that after all of the dirt pedals I've been through that the one I consistently continue to use is the Barber LTD. And I've been trying to find the perfect dirt pedal to stack with it for that extra oomph on a chorus or solo, and am still not fully sold on any option I've tried. I...
  21. southpaw pete

Visual Sound Open Road

I've had this pedal for quite some time. I've not used it in a while though, just because it is too bass heavy for rhythm work in my setup. I normally use the Barber LTDv2 for my basic overdrive (Love the LTD - pretty much leave it on all the time at nice low gain setting) and stack a second...
  22. southpaw pete

Powering a Boss CE-2

I recently acquired a Boss CE-2 (MIT) in a trade. I figured I'd give it a shot and, wow - that is a beautiful chorus! I actually even like it (sparingly) on my acoustic, which I didn't expect. I did notice however that it is very particular about how it is powered. It works fine when running...
  23. southpaw pete

Quest for acoustic simulation...

I've always enjoyed the idea of an acoustic simulator for my electric... but then, I may be more of a tone snob with my acoustic than I am with my electric (the right guitar, pickup, DI, amps...)! But yet I am drawn to the idea of having a nice clean, quasi-acoustic tone from my electric for...
  24. southpaw pete

Another SD-1 thread...

I had a modded SD-1 years ago when I started getting back into electric (after focusing on acoustic for 20+ years). I thought it was so-so in my setup, but in retrospect I was also looking for it to cover all my dirt needs. So I sold it and began the quest for tone - buying, trading and...
  25. southpaw pete

The older Dano Cool Cat chorus

I don't often play with chorus, though I've owned a few over the years. Today I thought I'd pull out and compare the two I have left - Visual Sound Liquid Chorus and the older Danelectro Cool Cat (the large surf green 18v version). I really prefer the Dano! While it only has 2 controls on it...