• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Search results

1. G

1x10 combo that can do clean and take pedals, and mic'd at a gig.

Peavey Classic 20, if you can find one.
  2. G

Why do pedal manufacturers prefer 9v batteries?

Guitar pedals likely use 9V batteries because of their relatively small physical size and the laziness of guitar pedal designers to learn how to use modern low-power ICs. Saving power just isn't a design consideration, seeing as most amplifier circuits (in both guitar effects and guitar amps)...
  3. G

What was your "HOLY CRAP!" pedal?

70's Big Muff Pie My smile faded, however, once the drums and keyboard joined in.
  4. G

I love it when absurdly cheap pedals give absurdly good performance

I'm a big fan of cheap pedals that sound great, but watch out for build quality. My DE-7 broke two weeks after I bought it, and I've had a lot of those cheap Danelectro pedals break on me as well. FWIW I've never had any problems with Boss or MXR.
  5. G

Phaser that ramps?

From the clips online, the Keeley sounds really lame. I'm looking for something with character, like an MXR Phase 90 or an EH Small Stone.
  6. G

Phaser that ramps?

I'd rather not buy a leslie, and leslie emulators tend to be kind of expensive, so I'm shooting for the next-best-thing. Any suggestions?
  7. G

Who doesn't use a pedal board?

I've never owned a pedal board for the simple reason that I don't use effects live. Most of the time all I bring with me is a tuner and an overdrive, but sometimes I don't even bother with the OD because as the show progresses, my tubes heat up. I think the lack of pedals has more to do with...
  8. G

Pedal Shootouts?

Really? No one else on here relished these?
  9. G

Muff Users: How do you cut and still sound huge?

This is great to hear- I have one in the mail right now. For the OP, I would suggest simply using an EQ.
  10. G

The Guv'nor

Scott, the best way I can describe mine is a mix between John Sykes (Thin Lizzy) and Angus Young (ACDC). It doesn't sound or feel anything like the original Bluesbreaker, which is fortunate because I use one of those as well.
  11. G

The Guv'nor

Finally pulled the trigger on an old Marshall Guv'nor, made in England. Sounds incredible! Can I get an "amen"?
  12. G

The Sound of Capacitors

It's possible but unlikely. In my first post I threw out the 1.4kHz figure in haste, without really thinking things through. In actuality the resonant frequency of most pickups and guitar cables lies between 2 to 5 kHz. Still not MHz though...
  13. G

The Sound of Capacitors

While the overtones may go much higher, the capacitance in the pickups themselves make them act as band-pass filters (low-pass for our purposes). Capacitors in general don't see a non-neglibible inductive component until you reach frequencies on the order of MHz. The tone control circuit of the...
  14. G

The Sound of Capacitors

Alright.. kind of jumping in late, but I thought my input might be of some use here: A guitar's tone circuit is not a stereo system. The highest frequency that a guitar can reach is roughly 1.4 kHz... That being said, I would venture to guess that a capacitor's alteration to the sound of an...
  15. G

Pedal Shootouts?

It's been a while since I've last posted on here... But I remember there being some pretty awesome pedal comparisons/shootouts on the "Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things" where members would post side-by-side clips. Do members still do these, and if so, are they still posted in this section?
  16. G

pedal for funky earth, wind and fire, etc...

Ah, funk you say? The only pedal I would get for that is an envelope follower. The MXR Envelope Follower works very well. Standard wah pedals are generally very difficult to use tastefully, and compression is too easy to use as a crutch. Once you get used to having compression on, you'll...
  17. G

Late night improv, I need your opinions...

Some parts of the Hendrix tune were ok... Some suggestions would be: Relax. It seemed like you were tense, you never used any hammer-ons or pull-offs, an element that Hendrix and Kotzen used in spades. Try varying your playing volume... emphasize some notes over others... most of it seemed...
  18. G

Jazz Band Audition

I have a week to prepare for a jazz audition. About four years ago I played in a jazz ensemble, but since then I haven't even looked at sheet music. In a nutshell, I'm looking for a resource on jazz chords (triads, inversions, etc), how to identify what chords go together, how to identify a...
  19. G

My kingdom for a decent Leslie simulator...(rant)

It's extremely difficult to get a convincing Leslie imitation without going stereo. That being said, I've actually gotten pretty surprising results with a tube-driven stereo tremolo going into two amplifiers stacked on top of one another, facing in opposite directions. :)
  20. G

How much does looks affect your buying decision?

More than I would like to admit, but not enough to influence me to buy without listening.
  21. G

Mjm foxey fuzz?

How about based on the opinion of a complete stranger on a forum?
  22. G

Visual Sound Pedal Shootout Vid - Informative

Let's go through the non-technical issues here: 1) It wasn't double-blind. I'm not going to take a salesman's word that he didn't do anything dishonest before or during those tests. 2) The video was heavily edited, and often audience responses were stylistically cut out so that we...
  23. G

The Nasty Bark of a Blackface Champ

Wow, that's a really nice fuzz! :) Congratulations for the find, and great song choice!
  24. G

Mjm foxey fuzz?

Could be just the sound quality, but that sounded pretty buzzy to me.