• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Search results

1. M

3rd Power Citizen Gain CSR question

I'm looking at picking one of these up since I can't find any of the original HD100s he built back in the day and I've always wanted one of those. This seems to be the next best thing and I'm curious, to those who have played many of these, or owned the two amps, how does this compare? There...
  2. M

Nothing quite like cranking a tube amp to improve your playing

I don't get to turn it up too often, as the neighbor next door doesn't much care for me bringing the rock, but she's at work and I had nothing better to do. I hate that the Budda Superdrive has such a crappy master volume (at least mine does) that it's either super thin and compressed at...
  3. M

How do yall feel about non-rounded over guitars?

Since I've started building some guitars for myself with a friend who used to build professionally I've been thinking; why do I need to use a roundover bit to the top and bottom of the guitar like a Strat has for example. I have had Strats, superstrats, Les Paul style guitars, etc and a Tele...
  4. M

Any tips for routing purpleheart?

Before I attempt to route this 1 piece purpleheart body blank, any tips? My friend that's teaching me to build attempted to route a 1.75" Tele and the router tore a chunk out near where the input jack will be and it about tore a chunk out on the opposite side of the body around the same...
  5. M

Floyds or Wilkinsons?

I'm building a few axes for myself and need to order a couple bridges. I have a chrome OFR from an old parts guitar that I can use on one and most of my guitars are Floyds but I've got a USA Washburn with a Wilkinson and locking tuners and it does great at staying in tune for light vibrato...
  6. M

Does anyone know where any of the 3rd Power HD100s are hiding?

I don't see these for sale anymore. All I see are the newer amps he built...Citizen Gain, KItchen Sink, etc. I'd love to have one of those original HD100s in white or black.
  7. M

Which bridge should I pick?

I am curious about what bridge I should pick for a guitar I'm building, and new to this still. I have a couple Seymour Duncan Full Shreds that aren't f-spaced so they need to go in a non-trem design guitar and most of my current guitars are Floyds or Wilkinson trems, I only have 1 Les Paul...
  8. M

What's the best online course for 80s style playing?

I posted this over in the general guitar forum but figured this might be a better subforum so it doesn't get buried. I have been playing for like 25 years or so and can play decently fast and all that and can copy and learn most of the songs of all the various guitar heroes but I want to be...
  9. M

What online guitar course to buy?

I want to improve my chops and knowledge and don't want to just rip off a bunch of solos, rearrange notes and call it my own. I want to actually learn and understand why I'm playing the licks in certain positions and not just because that's the way Beach, Lynch or DeMartini did it. I mostly...
  10. M

Question for superstrat builders

I want to build some superstrats, pretty much like what Chubtone does. My friend that used to build guitars and still does repairs is going to help me and there is access to a fully stocked wood working shop along with a local lumberyard with plenty of tonewoods and figured stuff for if I wanna...
  11. M

Got some nice wood to start building some guitars with

My friend that's going to help me start building some guitars for myself and maybe some friends and I discovered we have a local lumberyard with all kinds of stuff we can use. We won't have to order in wood from an online supplier or get body blanks when the shop has every imaginable tool to...
  12. M

Difference in Strat and San Dimas templates?

Is there a big difference in the Strat templates for building bodies and the San Dimas templates? My friend has a few Strat templates but not a San Dimas template. If I build a guitar with him and use just the Strat templates he has and adjust the fretboard for a Floyd nut vs just a standard...
  13. M

Did I miss something? Has it been that long since I've bought guitars?

Maybe one of you guys can help me out...since when did used Epiphone Les Pauls and Mexican made Fenders start going for so much? I've seen tons of them for way more than I recall them ever being listed at. Multiple Epis being listed at like $700+ and the Fenders being listed at like $500 or so...
  14. M

Where do you guys like buying your woods from?

I'm working with a friend of mine now who builds guitars and am actually working on 2 personal projects with him. He's going to teach me the ins and outs of building while I help him work on guitars so he can bring in more business and build/repair more guitars. Anyways, I'm working on a...
  15. M

How often do you have to re-tune your Floyds, or even unlock the nut?

Am I just doing something wrong (for years apparently) or do all Floyds have to be re-tuned with the fine tuners at least every day when you pick it up to start jamming for the day? They seem to hold tune fairly well during 20, 30 minutes or longer of practice. Some times the notes are out far...
  16. M

I need to find more of those 93-96 Grover Jackson Washburns!

I've had a 94 MG122 with a GORGEOUS red to orange burst quilted maple guitar for a few years now and I never played it a lot because the neck is a bit thicker and has a Wilkinson vs a Floyd Rose so I always kept it in the case since it was so pretty. But I've been playing more of my guitars the...
  17. M

What are some hot Tele bridge options?

I'm building a custom Tele and it has a flamed maple top we're going to do a denim burst on so I want as much of the top showing as possible. I'm probably going to forego the pick guard and rock body mounted options. What are some bridge options people make for Teles these days? I've never...
  18. M

Flamed redwood top?

How do you guys like to finish this type of wood? Stain or a burst? Do you guys have any good photos of both or either? I'm building a guitar with a luthier friend (purpleheart back) and we're doing a trade on some stuff and he's going to throw in a droptop of flamed redwood he has so it'll save...
  19. M

Apparently I'm building 2 guitars at once now

Not only am I going to be building my purpleheart Suhr Modern from a template and putting the features I want on it, but am also going to be building a Tele now. My friend who is a luthier is going to teach me how to build guitars so I can help him and do a lot of the work on guitars for my own...
  20. M

Why are some Floyd guitars harder to play than others?

This question has bugged me for years and I've never thought to just ask. I've had innumerable guitars over the years with Floyds; Originals, Schaller, and various licensed models. Most of them over the years have been set up the same, usually with 9-42s in Eb or E, but recently with 10-46s...
  21. M

Picking some woods for a guitar build...what do you think?

I have always loved the look or purpleheart and I know maple has a great contrast against it. My friend is a luthier and used to build guitars for a living and has wanted to do a project with me for a while and I think it's time. I know he has a handful of templates, including a Suhr Modern...
  22. M

How much is a vacuum bag setup?

I have a friend who builds a few guitars here and there and thinking of doing a superstrat build with him and came across using vacuum to glue droptops down rather than trying to use clamps or whatever. I dont necessarily have to have a forearm contour for my guitar to be comfortable but...
  23. M

Do you guys ever forget that you own a particular guitar?

I'm sitting here playing online, looking at tonewoods, body blanks, fingerboard woods, etc to build a guitar for this pickup I've got. I was thinking what would a maple body be like, very heavy. Then I was like wait a sec, I had a guitar that probably had a maple body as it weighed a ton...
  24. M

Floyd Rose...ball ends at tuners or snip them off at bridge?

What do you guys prefer? I always snipped the ball end and installed them in the saddles but a few years ago watched a video of a dude who makes some Floyd setup tools and he showed running them through the tuner and snipping off excess string at the saddle. I prefer that waaaaaaay better...
  25. M

What do you guys think of a Custom Custom and Full Shred?

I got a couple pickups today at a pretty good deal so I figured I'd pull the trigger and be able to use them for something if they just don't mesh well together. I picked up a Duncan Custom Custom and a Full Shred neck pickup. The guitar I want to put them in is a Les Paul style guitar with a...