• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Search results

1. E

Gibson J-160E neck joint?

David, thanks for the info. I drilled at two of the frets and am still into the neck block an inch down. Not totally sure what's going on, but I think I'm going to go ahead and work the bridge instead of resetting and just get the action as good as I can. The customer is not on an unlimited...
  2. E

I don't think my HMO will cover that :-) Would probably be faster and cheaper to just take the fretboard off, but I'm a big fan of not touching anything I don't have to.
  3. E

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or if it belonged elsewhere, but this seemed like a good place to start. A customer has brought me a 1976 J-160E that needs a neck reset, among other work. I've read statements on the internet about various quirks of Gibson acoustic construction, but...
  4. E

500k or 250k volume pots?

If you want to compromise, I have a whole batch of CTS pots that are supposed to be 500K, but are out of spec and most read in the low 300's.
  5. E

Epiphone Sheraton surprise

It's a Sheraton II. The original Sheraton model was made in the 60s. If I recall correctly, the label inside the f-hole should say Sheraton II, but they changed specs and changed factories a couple of times, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a batch of labels that just said Sheraton on it.
  6. E

Sunburst sand-thru... does yellow cover entire body?

Johnny, I am an experienced guitar finisher ;-) You're right, it is easy to damage a guitar with a heat gun, but it's also *very* easy not to. It only takes a few seconds (literally a few, like 5) to get a spot soft enough that it will come up easily. No solvents, no sawdust (which can do...
  7. E

Probably, and you could probably also accidentally go right through to the wood :-)
  8. E

You can get that finish removed a lot faster with a heat gun. Try not to let any spot get too hot, and use a plastic scraper so you don't do serious damage to the wood. It will probably also leave the sealer coat in place, so you'll be able to just do a little bit of sanding to even out any...
  9. E

What paintguy said. It's very, very likely that you'll get a very uneven color when you're done and be sorry that you did it. Also, you can't use a lacquer under a poly. Lacquers cure by gassing off, i.e. the solvents evaporating out of the finish. Polys don't let any gasses escape, so the...
  10. E

Lacquer question

You'll want to use nitro. Acrylic lacquers will not blend seamlessly with the nitro.
  11. E

Weight of Guitar

Folks seem to have all sorts of theories to justify what they like best, but the only consistent finding I've been able to make is: More weight=heavier guitar. It works out 100% of the time. :-) I've played a couple of featherweight Teles and Strats that seemed lifeless at livingroom volume...
  12. E

pick guard for Epiphone '67 Flying V

There were so many traces made to Epiphones over the years that I wouldn't trust a supplier who doesn't insist on a tracing. WD Music has always done right by me. They don't have Epi V guards listed, but since it'd be custom anyway it doesn't matter much...
  13. E

Epiphone Sheraton surprise

Gorgeous! That's one of the older, Samick made Sheratons (You can tell by the shape of the mickey mouse ears.) They truly are great guitars, and one heck of a bargain. My favorite pickups in these are Duncan '59s. I have one at my house that I've been in the process of stripping and...
  14. E

Setting up a Tele?

It might be easier to diagnose the source of the problem and then figure out the solution, rather than try solutions before you know what the problem is. Does the problem only happen when the string is played open? That would indicate that the problem is probably not in the truss rod or...
  15. E

Tele players, a few questions?

I was always frustrated by this problem as well. My solution is pretty simple: I use 1 tone cap that's always active, and one tone cap that's added when you switch to the bridge. I usually use a pair that still adds to roughly .047uf when they're both on. I think one Tele has a .01uf cap...
  16. E

Will I need a wiring diagram for my luthier?

Sometimes when a customer brings me a schematic it annoys me, since it may or may not do what they think it does and it may or may not be applicable to the parts in their guitars. Sometimes I appreciate it because it does turn out to be right and saves me some work. In either case, I certainly...
  17. E

ES335 Construction and other types?

I haven't seen any of the boutique carved top semi-hollows, but all of the bigger names (Gibson, PRS, Carvin) carve a *really* thick top and back. The tops and backs are so thick that they really don't behave much like a real archtop, or even much like a normal lamtop 335. They're also boat...
  18. E

Advice on shipping body only

Boxes that are shaped right can be hard to come by. I make boxes from USPS priority mail boxes. I can't remember for certain, but I think it only takes 2 for a Tele. Cut off the narrow side and slide the boxes together, then tape the seam generously. It might take 4 boxes. They're free so...
  19. E

Anybody ever SEEN a set of 1979 Seymour Duncan...

Since DiMarzio patented the double-cream bobbin thing, they are tough to come by. However, if you order a custom pickup from Duncan with a cover, you can sometimes get away with a special request that the cover not be soldered and that the bobbins just happen to both be cream colored.
  20. E

Which boutique builder of F styles makes his own necks and/or bodies?

No, not soup to nuts. Sorry if I mislead anyone. But they have had bodies and necks built for them outside their own shops, and sometimes finishing too. In fact, not so long ago I got to visit a shop that does finishing work for some surprising names. Some of these names were big enough that...
  21. E

Which boutique builder of F styles makes his own necks and/or bodies?

A few? The number is many more than just a few. I have good information that some of the more well-known builders mentioned in this thread have outsourced production to USA Custom or Warmoth at various times to meet their production needs. I admire the builders who do everything from...
  22. E

Is it OK to remove all the strings at once when changing them?

So you don't take all the strings off at once when you do a repair? I recently saw a Taylor video about how they string guitars in the factory, and they specifically said that it's okay to have all the strings off the neck.
  23. E

What round core strings compare to DR?

I've been happy using DR strings, but I'm curious to know if there's anything that equals them in tone and feel. I use .010 gauge strings, and the DR 10s sound bigger than most tens, but are also bendier than most 10 gauge sets. The sound is very round and balanced, while others sound like...
  24. E

HELP!!! Input jack fell in semihollow body...

I made a little tool for just such an occasion. I bend the end of the coat hangar back on itself, so that there's a rounded loop on the end. I use a pair of pliers to fiddle with that loop so that it's just exactly the right size to squeeze into the jack, snug enough that I can pull on the...
  25. E

Is it OK to remove all the strings at once when changing them?

Yes, it's just fine. If you're going to leave the strings off for a while, loosen the truss rod maybe 1/2 a turn to take a little tension off to compensate. There are plenty of people who will tell you otherwise, but it's mostly just internet superstition. Loosen each of the strings to...