• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Search results

1. NoahL

Tons of hum from an SS amp

My friend described his Fender Deluxe 112 (solid state) amp this way: i haven't plugged in my fender deluxe 112 plus since 2006. It hummed bad on stage and I haven't used it since. i just plugged it in right now and it's definitely annoying. silent if there's nothing plugged in. if i plug...
  2. NoahL

What is the Tape/CD input jack type in a cheap Peavey Rage?

I'm not sure if that's right -- and I might not be describing it right for you. In its literature, Peavey calls this a "CD/Tape" input. It definitely is 1/4", but when I try to put a mono guitar cable in it (for example), the plug only goes about half-way in before hitting something. This...
  3. NoahL

What is the Tape/CD input jack type in a cheap Peavey Rage?

It's 1/4", but inside there's what looks like a "pin" in the middle, about 3/4" of the way inside, so a regular 1/4" jack won't go in all the way. Is this as it should be? Is there an adapter to turn this jack into one for a 1/8" input from an MP3 player? Or is it possible there's something...
  4. NoahL

Help me identify this Siemens 12AU7

That's the thing, it doesn't look like a silver plate -- the plates are whitish (top and bottom plates) and flat black (vertical plates). So I wondered which particular Siemens this is -- and even if it is a Siemens. All I have to go on is the similarity in plate shape, etc. As I said, the...
  5. NoahL

Help me identify this Siemens 12AU7

I just like to know what I'm putting in my amp. I got a cheap little Peavey ValveKing Royal 8 on Musician's friend. It came with a JJ 12AX7 and a Sovtek EL84. I thought it sounded bad -- dead and grating at the same time. The amp has a gain and a master, and anytime the gain went above 4, the...
  6. NoahL

No sound from a Vox practice amp

Vox DA5 (the little .5-to-5 watter), no sound when you plug a guitar in the input jack. There is sound when you plug something in the Mic jack in the back, but that circuit has nothing to do with all the effects -- strictly for voice. So it looks like something is wrong with the main circuit...
  7. NoahL

Effects processor problem

I inherited a little Digitech RP100 effects processor. I probably will just sell it for a few bucks, but I want to make sure it works first. Whether on battery power or AC, it acts funny. The sound cuts in and out in random ways. It's not a sharp "clipping," as if the power were just cutting...
  8. NoahL

Amp makes weird loud noise when I turn it off.

no schematic available for the 25, but here's where you get the one for the 25 SE, and it explains the differences between the amps. i suspect the guts are similar -- the SE has a few extra capabilities. http://www.ampwares.com/amp.asp?id=48
  9. NoahL

Yes, it's a loud squeal that fades away quickly. But it's damn loud for a second or two, as if I did a big-ass kerrang. Thanks for the note. I'll live with it -- or maybe turn the sound down before I turn off and see if that helps?
  10. NoahL

Right. To answer an earlier post, there is no standby switch and there's nothing else wrong with the amp, as far as I can see. The tubes are newer Groove Tubes -- but I don't know if that means one of them couldn't be going bad. Does your Princeton have a solid state section? This Champ 25 does...
  11. NoahL

My mid-90s Fender Champ 25 (three tubes) makes a loud, feedback-like sound when I turn it off. Lasts about two seconds, and during that time it rises quickly then tails off, but it's loud and irritating, generally louder than the amp is set. I'm not assuming it's a big problem, but I am curious...
  12. NoahL

Will a 20w speaker be okay in a 50w amp?

I'm selling this Celestion G10-20 and a potential buyer wants to know if it will be okay in his 50w amp. I didn't ask it the amp is SS or tube, alas -- but I could. Will it be okay and just break up earlier? Or will it fry like bacon on Sunday?
  13. NoahL

Reverb doesn't work -- help.

you guys both rock. i'll be back with updates.
  14. NoahL

rockon1: i do this by putting probes on both ends of one of the jacks, then the same on the other jack? am i measuring across a jack, or from one jack to another? clearly a noob here. southern: I haven't because i need to take the chassis out of this amp -- tubes aren't accessible like in a...
  15. NoahL

No reverb on my Crate V16. It's a little 9" Belton unit. I took it off and all the wires inside the unit seem fine, no loose ones. The proper cables are plugged into the proper jacks in the unit itself. No scratching from the reverb pot on top. Are there some continuity tests I should do without...
  16. NoahL

Weird sound coming out of my amp. Radio signal?

Aliens want to reconcile humans' extreme sophistication with my lousy guitar playing. It's a mystery for the cosmos.
  17. NoahL

Update: I hear it loudest (though still faintly) when I dime the reverb (which is not working otherwise). Rolling the reverb back, the sound disappears around 12 o'clock. (Now the sound is a two-note repeating pattern, one high, one low; It was three notes before.) Volume and Gain do not affect...
  18. NoahL

I probably had mine in my pocket. Thanks. Sound's gone now.
  19. NoahL

It's a Crate V16, several years old, one of the U.S.-made ones. It has reverb, and the reverb doesn't seem to be working, either. The two cables coming to the reverb tank are plugged in, however. Thoughts?
  20. NoahL

There's a weird four-note pattern coming out of my amp whether I'm playing or not. Almost sounds like the "Twilight Zone" "dee-doo-dee-doo" sound effect. It repeats over and over. It's fairly faint and doesn't get a whole lot louder when I turn up, but it definitely disappears when I turn the...
  21. NoahL

Why are better transformers better?

I hear ya. The doorbell bit just put the question in my head, when I wondered what makes one 24v transformer cost $130 and another $15 ...
  22. NoahL

It certainly is, but I wasn't sure if it's just because it's 25.8v into two chimes and not an old cheap 12v into one. I was also assuming there are tonal qualities that expensive transformers provide -- but how? Thanks for responding -- I'm not saying you're not right ...
  23. NoahL

I've read about how the transformer is key to amp tone and how an upgrade to an expensive one can make a difference. What is inherent in the materials and design and build of the expensive boutique transformers that makes them so much better? Here's why I ask. I was installing a second chime for...