• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Search results

1. Allthumbs56

Your earliest musical memories

My aunt who was only 12 years older than me lived with us. At 4 years old I remember her bringing home records and letting me listen to them now and then. The two I remember most are "Little Nash Rambler" and "All I Have to do is Dream".
  2. Allthumbs56

Marshall mx212 vs sc212?

I had a 70/80 in an open cab once and I couldn't get it out fast enough. In the closed-back they're much better. More "hi-fi" perhaps. Had a pretty good bite and presence. Funny about the 12T but I don't really have an opinion - I mean, Marshall has put those things in everything so you just...
  3. Allthumbs56

Marshall mx212 vs sc212?

I've got an MX212 I use with my DSL50. I would have rather purchased the 1936 but opted for the MX for the sole reason that it fits in my car (it's about 1.5" shorter). It came stock with the 70/80 speakers which I intended to replace with a pair of the 12T75's I had sitting around. I did do a...
  4. Allthumbs56

My kids don't like the Beatles

I'm 65 and just developing a better understanding and respect for Elvis. There's time.
  5. Allthumbs56

My kids don't like the Beatles

Yeah - I never liked Sinatra. Wait! Yes I do!
  6. Allthumbs56

Why so much animosity for PRS players, or for anyone that has a guitar with a nice top?

My Gibson J-185 has flamed maple back and sides - not Classical perhaps - but acoustic and the only one who can see the flames is me. Does that count?
  7. Allthumbs56

Why so much animosity for PRS players, or for anyone that has a guitar with a nice top?

I've got a relatively pedestrian CU22 - whale blue, not a 10-top but has the birds. I bought it used for (I believe) $1,700 Canadian. It's a great guitar and I use it at every gig that I only bring one guitar to as I find it can morph pretty good tone-wise. If I bring two guitars I usually bring...
  8. Allthumbs56

I still love my JCM 2000 DSL

Love my DSL50. My favorite amp to play through. Big and heavy and too much juice for a lot of small clubs these days though. My DRRI sees more gig use.
  9. Allthumbs56

The best of the best of the best lines in songs, EVER

Her ego wrote checks incredibly fast - but her personality didn't have the cash. She Ain't Pretty, Northen Pikes.
  10. Allthumbs56

Five hours to get into The Beatles

I could listen to And Your Bird Can Sing and Drive My Car back-to-back in a loop for 5 hours.
  11. Allthumbs56

That some pretty decent "filler" :aok
  12. Allthumbs56

Make sure some of their singles make it in there too. I think some can only found on the compilations. "I'm Down", "Paperback Writer", "Rain", .....
  13. Allthumbs56

Bryan Adams - Waking Up The Neighbors - what a KILLER album!!

His unplugged album is incredible
  14. Allthumbs56

SF Fender Princeton NON-reverb price check

I sold a drip-edge non-reverb a couple years ago. I got more than I paid for it - but no where near what the verbs were selling for. If you're a buyer you really need to know the difference between - a non-verb and a verb - very different animals - it's not like they're the same except that one...
  15. Allthumbs56

Tilting Your Amp

I have one of these - but I've never put a combo up top. In small clubs I'll prop my DRRI against the legs tilted back and put the P/A up top. With my DSL50 I'll put the head up top and tilt a 2x12 against the legs. If I'm concerned that the cab may fall forward I'll just slide a bit of a 2x4 or...
  16. Allthumbs56

You lot do realize Toyah is still waving her norks about?

Actually I think that's just wrinkles o_O
  17. Allthumbs56

Deluxe Reverb Reissue-Before you snip that bright cap...

There's a mod for that. I had it done in my DRRI.
  18. Allthumbs56

The Who - "Who's Next"

When I listened to his guitar track isolated I was surprised at how "small" it sounded. Within the context of the entire mix it sounds huge. What a master!
  19. Allthumbs56

Don Felder

I've seen Felder a couple times live. He can carry a tune (probably better than me) but yeah, he's no lead singer. As for his guitar work, I love his parts in the Eagles and he's a great player - but he's not really any better than the other guitarist in his touring band.
  20. Allthumbs56

Where do the Moody Blues fit in the ...

For some reason I liken them to the Strawbs.
  21. Allthumbs56

Bruce Cockburn

One of my most memorable concerts was with him, Gordon Lightfoot, and Liona Boyd. I sure had a expanded view of what makes a great musician after that one.
  22. Allthumbs56

Buying a first amp: Yamaha Twenty Five 1x12 or Traynor YCV 40

YCV series are great bang-for-buck amps. I've owned several - 40's and 50's. $300 (U.S.) should get you one.
  23. Allthumbs56

Which JCM2000 for single channel use only– DSL50, DSL100, TSL?

Interestingly - they did. The DSL401, on paper at least, was the answer - Green Channel, Red Channel, Yellow Channel (Boost), separate EQ for each of Green and Red. I had one and quite enjoyed it (once I got it running cooler). Why they chose to use a quad of EL84's instead of a pair of...
  24. Allthumbs56

Which JCM2000 for single channel use only– DSL50, DSL100, TSL?

I've gigged my 2003 DSL50 many times. Sounds great at low home volumes too. I've never had an issue with it of any kind. Green channel with Crunch engaged = Heaven :)
  25. Allthumbs56

Is there another female rock vocalist even close to Ann Wilson?

She has a palsy of some kind that has killed her ability to sing. How awful to have had all of that talent and had it taken away.