• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Search results

1. NoahL

Who is the Most Underrated Guitarist?

Add Paula Nelson's guitarist, Landis Armstrong, if you wanna talk Austin guys.
  2. NoahL

+1 on Frampton. I also know that anyone who watches Crossroads 2007 is impressed with Steve Winwood's playing. So tasteful and bluesy.
  3. NoahL

6 year old wants to start playing - thoughts on a good starter or 3/4 guitar?

Don't the purists say always to start on an acoustic, to develop stronger fingers and to have more accurate feedback on whether you're playing it well and right? No big deal -- if a kid's going to be good, he's going to be good no matter what he starts on, and if he wants an electric to be...
  4. NoahL

dude, i like how you think. george was a treasure, and krantz is amazing. i would add scott henderson. anyone who follows guitar music will say "he's a monster," but i think he's not appreciated for how he crosses over into blues and rock with such knowledge, taste and personality. anyone who...
  5. NoahL

I can't get over this Lukas Nelson album

yeah, i see him touted as a "blues" guitarist, but that's a misnomer. he plays all kinds of rootsy stuff, from willie-type ballads to serious rockers. i definitely hear the classic rock influences in his playing, but i think he applies 'em tastefully in forging his own style, which sounds nicely...
  6. NoahL

I can't get over this Lukas Nelson album

"Promise of the Real," came out a full year ago. Can't remember the last time I loved an album this much on first listen. Great songwriter, arranger, singer, Strat player. Disclaimer: I have no financial or personal interest in this album. The only conceivable connection between me and Lukas...
  7. NoahL

How good are Chris Layton and Tommy Shannon (Double Trouble)?

I wasn't saying that talking about musical minutiae makes you a serious musician. I was saying – and I'm not wrong – that serious musicians pay a lot of attention to what other good musicians do. They learn from it, steal from it – its their life. Those scenes from the...
  8. NoahL

For the record, I don't buy into the "they're pros and I'm a hack so I don't have the right to analyze and even criticize" angle. Any time a musician puts his/her stuff out there, listeners have a right to state their opinions: that's the deal. And part of that deal is that other listeners can...
  9. NoahL

The Ethics of Buying Used CDs? - off shoot of the SH illegal download thread

I've written two books. I take it as a given that my books will be re-sold by used-book dealers, and I've certainly bought my share of used books. An earlier poster was right: the only sale that's sacrosanct is the first one. At the same time, it always has bugged me that Amazon helps resellers...
  10. NoahL

just what i asked -- how would you describe their styles? solid? flashy? compare to other top blues backlines?
  11. NoahL

We hear so much about SRV but I can't remember reading an analysis of the other two guys in the band. Can you guys give me your expert opinions on those guys' styles and skills? Can't imagine Stevie didn't play with the best, but my ears aren't trained to know as much about bass and drums as guitar.
  12. NoahL

Amy Winehouse Has Died (Merged)

Yes she did, and that's the end of the story. Her voice was breathtaking, her interpretations were brilliant in the characters they portrayed, and this is because her control over every note was simply spectacular. You know how they say a baseball player feels like he can "see the ball in slow...
  13. NoahL

Thin Lizzy "Still Dangerous" is literally kicking my arse.

Wow, now I'm all the more impressed. I guess their first live album, "Alive and Dangerous," had between 25 and 75 percent overdubs. But "Still Dangerous" is pure performance takes. Read it on Wiki. Must be true, right?
  14. NoahL

Yes, it means that Phil's size-11 boot is quite literally emerging from my Bose earbuds and kicking me arse. It's part of the re-mastering process. :-)
  15. NoahL

Phil Lynott's voice almost sounds farther back than the guitars. To me it's a curious mix, but easy to get used to since I love hearing both guitars so clearly. I'd love to hear what other guys think of the new mix. Is it supposed to be like if you were standing 10 rows back?
  16. NoahL

The remix of this late-1970s concert has both guitars upfront, in glorious stereo. The riffage is monstrous. Ah, the sound of a Les Paul through a righteously cranked Marshall...
  17. NoahL

Coolest rock t-shirt ever?

Interesting point. Actually, she likes T Rex a lot; my next step was to show this thread to her mom and make sure I got her a t-shirt of a band she likes. She saw Neil Young a month ago.
  18. NoahL

Coolest rock t-shirt ever?

Bought my girlfriend's daughter the famous T Rex Marc Bolan t-shirt and she became a minor star in the halls of her high school, which made me happy. To me, T Rex was the obvious first t-shirt choice. But now I can't think of a truly good sequel. The more retro, authentic, obscure and even...
  19. NoahL

Your thoughts the first time you heard Van Halen I

that's if you're talking only about his tapping. the other stuff that makes him so great -- tone, rhythm, chops, ability to make the guitar "talk" (like the mocking tone on the Jamie's Crying licks) -- doesn't need to be emulated to be deemed great. it's just great, great guitar playing. but i...
  20. NoahL

Anyone here think Matt Schofield's voice sounds like Shuggie Otis?

Wow, that is good news. I never expected... "Here comes Shuggie Otis" is one of my favorite discs.
  21. NoahL

Your thoughts the first time you heard Van Halen I

What a GREAT question. I was 16, living in Iowa. No disco yet where I was, really. Just what filtered through the corn-pone radio stations. But we had a lot of country rock and a lot of Jackson Browne. VH came through like a bulldozer and just blew away all the junk. You know what I remember...
  22. NoahL

Anyone here think Matt Schofield's voice sounds like Shuggie Otis?

In addition to the same timbre, there's that little bit of "strain" in the delivery that's really musical and cool. Considering that most of Shuggie came when he was a late teenager and Schofield's older than that, it's almost like we're hearing Shuggie if he had recorded in his early 30s...
  23. NoahL

Trying to explain why I like SRV more than Bonamassa.

Sometimes I wonder why I don't love Joe Bonamassa's stuff, since he has great taste, great tone, great chops, everything. Plus he seems like a stand-up guy, which never hurts if you want people to like your music. But I think I've figured it out. He rushes. Tell me if you agree. In fact, just...
  24. NoahL

Do you like Tom Scholz/Boston or not?

My buddy and I have this argument once a year. He thinks Boston's sterile and phony. I disagree, although there is a clean, technical, almost cerebral quality to their tunes. I don't mean the subject matter, which is actually kinda sappy. I just mean that the music sounds like it was done by a...