Search results

1. rockon1

80s metal amp

Maybe but damn these Stealth are killer metal amps! These two have been going strong for over 25 years. Lee Jackson designed with a quartet of 6V6's. They love being pushed hard. As with any PCB mounted stuff just be careful of yanking the cord or slamming the knobs.
  2. rockon1

Calling all Blue Guitars!!!

3. rockon1

Fretwork or something else?

If the truss rod wont take out that bow it DOA. FWIW- (If it was straight) the neck can always be shimmed thats not a big deal. Ive used business cards in the past for shims.
  4. rockon1

why do you like a stratocaster?

Cant be sound. Not one of mine has single coils in it. Its the ergonomics both sitting and standing - form and function.
  5. rockon1

12AX7s-NOS RCA and Mullard differences

Pretty much no doubt to me that Sylvania made a 3 hole early on and then they went on to a 2 hole. Thats how I see it until other evidence emerges...Westinghouse seems made a 3 hole as well ....but I find it conspicuous...
  6. rockon1

Best Pickguard Color for Inca Silver Strat?

I think black would look wicked.
  7. rockon1

From memory ,yes it does. Its been quite a while but I recall them having similar characteristics. The real question for me is what has. Its clear that Sylvania made a 3 hole short gray - probably before the two hole version. It seems Westinghouse made a very similar 3 hole version as well given...
  8. rockon1

The pic I provided show real examples. It seems the second line on the etch could be a date. H7V , Aug 57? ... just more stuff Ive forgotten.
  9. rockon1

Yeah true. Westinghouse probably did more so imo. Still the etchings are far stronger evidence of origin. Question is then- what is the timeline? Those style etchings on the 3 hole grays are just like the BP style. Could they have made them before the 2 hole style? I dont recall seeing that...
  10. rockon1

Thom its been a while but I think weve been down this road before, lol. I dont think its cut and dry that 3 hole = Westinghouse and 2 hole = Sylvania. The etchings on some of my 3 hole scream Sylvania.
  11. rockon1

What really gets me is I have 3 hole short grays with Sylvania style etching just like older Sylvania short blackplates. 12AX7 and directly underneath the H7V. The BP's have a different 3 underneath B6V but same exact style etching. 3 hole on left , BP on right. FWIW- it also has...
  12. rockon1

I get all that Thom. I know differences as I have many of both. It still begs the question why Sylvania would rebrand westinghouse.
  13. rockon1

Ive had my doubts about the Westinghouse. I have a few 3 hole types that are Sylvania labeled. Cant see why they would bother rebranding them.
  14. rockon1

I get it Thom -as in ripping cardboard. For my high gain lifestyle I never got along with the RCA BP's or for that matter the Mullard short plates either. Perhaps because I cant afford to lose too much "clarity" whilst using a lot of gain...yeah that doesnt seem to make sense but it does. I do...
  15. rockon1

A couple high frets with strings after leveling. What's the best way to address them?

It allows the geometry to be better- less parallel with more of a break angle when fretted- particularly where there is no relief -above the 12th or so fret. . Relief does the same thing in the middle of the neck but not after , say , the 12th fret. Always thought it (relief) is a poor...
  16. rockon1

A couple high frets with strings after leveling. What's the best way to address them?

Straighter neck helps with bends higher on the neck. Like I said-try it! Its free, easy and easily reversed.
  17. rockon1

.10 is on the high side. Relief is to a degree preferential but to me all my guitars feel better almost straight. I dont measure. I'll hold it (or capo) at the 1st and 17th and eyeball it against the light. If I can see a tiny gap around the 7th or 8th under the G string I'll try it. Sometimes...
  18. rockon1

Take your time. Watch carefully to see any effects tightening is hopefully making. Im no luthier- just lots of experience setting up guitars. That said if you cant reduce the bow with the rod I doubt fret leveling will be the answer. As silverhawk mentioned its possible the board would need to...
  19. rockon1

Not critical. I look at all the frets you mentioned. The difference between them shouldnt be all that much (hardly anything) and some necks show more bow earlier (closer to the nut) some a few frets farther up. FWIW I set mine with very little relief (eyeballed) and they are probably less than...
  20. rockon1

If it's red- gotta be fiesta ( or Tahitian); am I right?

IDK, sparkle red kicks ass! Pics dont do it justice!
  21. rockon1

Anyone else done with modulation?

Ive realised that the only FX that stays on my board is a delay and a wah. The rest are EQ's and /or boosts.
  22. rockon1

Ive had this happen and "spot leveled" them in place if its just a couple of frets. Its a bit crude but effective so I understand if I get flak for it. A piece of straight edge with sandpaper glued to it. When its level I'll touch up the crown and polish -strings off.
  23. rockon1

How do you get your lead tone?!?!

Always an amps pre amp gain and a bit of a clean boost in front of it. Never could bond with dirt boxes. Even the cheapest tube amps pre amp gain sounds better to me.
  24. rockon1

Is it a gradual bow between the 3-8 frets or one or two out of wack? If its just one or two its probably those frets at fault but If its gradual thats odd. That dip is in an area usually easily corrected by the rod so it would be strange you cant get it with adjustment and the reason I asked...
  25. rockon1

Randy Rhoads, Jake E Lee, and Zakk Wylde

Wheres the damn poll for this necrothread? Randy by a mile...ok we did give one of my sons the middle name Rhoads...

Trending Topics