Search results

1. C

Great New Book Alert!!!!!!!!!!

Well, as the author of this now very old thread, I figured I should make another post. I've been "off the grid" for a while now battling some pretty severe personal demons, BUT, I'm still alive and music has helped get me through a very bad opiate addiction and a divorce due to said opiate...
  2. C

Pics of the one and only Shawn Lane Ibanez...

Which guitar are you referring to? Chris
  3. C

Pics of the one and only Shawn Lane Ibanez...

I've seen those vids but i just meant that they didn't make numerous guitars like the one I have... The pups are indeed Dimarzio PAF PROS... Chris
  4. C

Which pups should I put in my Geetar?

I've got a guitar very similar to a Les Paul. Mahogany body, maple top, stop bridge etc... It's an older guitar with gold hardware so I was thinking either gold covers or double creams, the latter of which came with the guitar originally. I play all kinds of music from classic rock, to...
  5. C

Got $600 burning a hole in my pocket...

Currently I am looking for a combo or head and need some help. Right now the Fender Cyber Twin or Cyber Deluxe is catching my eye because it has LOTS of different amps and effects. From what I've read the cyber series changes the preamp design based on what amp you select, which sounds kinda...
  6. C

Rockstah vs Bray vs Voodoo vs Suhr etc... for early VH...

Anybody know if Bogner still mods amps? I'd LOVE a blue channel amp! Chris
  7. C

As the OP, I want to thank everyone for their input and for keeping things civil. The VH tone subject is a touchy subject with people having VERY passionate views. I too agree that a lot of it is in the hands but aside from that a cranked "plexi" is a must. But what does one mean by the word...
  8. C

I can understand what you mean and of course a LOT of the tone is in the hands and heart of the player too... Best, Chris
  9. C

Yeah, I know... I looked around and it seems like Rockstah and Splawn have nailed that early VH tone. Anybody have both a Splawn and Rockstah side by side? Input? Any other amps that I should consider? I know Voodoo makes some KILLER amps too... I'm not looking for amps that can "kinda"...
  10. C

Looking for suggestions for stereo guitar sound...

Hi, I'd like to start playing some gigs locally either by myself or myself and another musician playing flute or trumpet. I could possibly run my sound through the P.A. system, but the other option is to have two amps and then set them on either side of use and use a chorus pedal or something...
  11. C

Eric Johnson tone in a pedal?

Okay, so far, my OCD pedal version 1.4 is KILLING!!! I should make a post at some point because it sounds WAY good!!! Best, Chris
  12. C

Thanks for ALL of the input. I DO remember talking to his tech at the last concert I saw (month or so ago) and indeed he said the Tube Driver was back by the amps and once he pointed it out, I could see it. My main reason for the post was to see what pedals YOU ALL like to get that violin...
  13. C

I saw Eric a month or so ago and his tone was indeed very good BUT I think my favorite tone of his was back in the early 90's and especially the ACL show. Strat (with HS-2 in the bridge with one of the coils removed) into chandler tube driver into echoplex into TC Electronic sustain/parametric...
  14. C

I know Eric's rig pretty well and I know that a LOT of the tone is in the fingers and all that. I'm just trying to see if anyone can recommend a pedal that has that big throaty mid grind to it. I've got a Maxon SD-9 and it's a pretty decent pedal but I also know that a delay pedal and maybe...
  15. C

I'd like to hear some recommendations on a pedal that can get close to that Eric Johnson tone. I saw a thread with a clip of a guy playing an Alpha Drive pedal and that sounded pretty darn good. I'd like to hear other suggestions too. Basically I'm looking at using a clean amp like a Fender...
  16. C

Saw Eric Johnson in Milwaukee Friday Night...

Interesting... I wonder why he pulled it out of sight? Maybe he just didn't have any reason to ever turn it OFF, so there was no reason to have it out front... Best, Chris
  17. C

Saw Eric Johnson in Milwaukee Friday Night...

WOW!!! I've seen him probably 10 times now the first was early 90's and I can honestly say, he has improved in EVERY area. His stage presence is better, he's cracking jokes with the audience, his playing has improved, his tone is about as good as I've heard although the Ah Via Musicom tone I...
  18. C

Bruton String Works...

I've considered Ben a good friend of mine for a couple years now. He's built me 2 of the finest archtop guitars I have EVER played. He has mad crazy skills yo...!!! Seriously though, just a fantastic guy and fantastic craftsman. He is also the proud parent of a new baby girl. So....he's...
  19. C

Pat Metheny's "Half Life of Absolution..."

I agree, I like the world music stuff better than the straight ahead jazz stuff. I liked his stuff with Jaco and wondered where they might have gone...we'll never know. Chris
  20. C

Pat Metheny's "Half Life of Absolution..."

The recorded version from "The Road to You" album. I made 2 of my students listen to this song last night and from about 12:00 to the end of the song is some of the most moving emotional music I have ever heard. No words just pure music... That album is one of my very favorite of his and has...
  21. C

Playing through the Real Book...

I too know the value of scales but just "running scales" over the chord changes doesn't make sense to me. I just want to make sure my solos have substance...I guess that's the overall trick though... Best, Chris
  22. C

Playing through the Real Book...

A while back I learned a few tricks that allowed me to play the chords through most of the songs in the Real Book, but I really struggle playing single note "solos" through those changes. Any recommendations on doing such a thing? One of my first steps is to play the root note and then add the...
  23. C

The rock band Rush: what is their musical theory?

I think one of the most recent "Guitar Player" magazines has one of those "10 things you need to do to play like Alex Lifeson" or something like that. I DO know that Alex Lifeson likes to use open strings with his chords. It's something John Petrucci mentions in his videos... I agree that...
  24. C

The rock band Rush: what is their musical theory?

Rather large question for a band that has what, like 20+ albums under their belt? I would pick a song and ask specific questions about it. I don't think they really used any kind of theory especially with their earlier stuff, I think it was just "What sounds good?"...and that's the way it...
  25. C

Lost Instructional Book CD's

I have the second cd from the Frank Gambale book if you'd like it... Best, Chris

Trending Topics