Search results

1. E

Looking to learn about Hybrid amp design and Stereo amps

Actually, no-- I love guitar amps, but right now I'm working on an idea for a stereo or 2.1 channel amp/receiver. So this is a great recommendation. Thanks!
  2. E

Looking to learn about Hybrid amp design and Stereo amps

I know this isn't exactly the place, but I figure some of you will know where to point me. I'm basically looking for reading material. I'm browsing Tubecad.com right now, but I'm not grasping everything I'm looking at, so I think I need some primers on solid state and hybrid amplification...
  3. E

I've been gone awhile-- but I'm hoping to find a schematic

Well, is there a way to tell what the voltages ought to be, if the PT is fried?
  4. E

I did read somewhere that the part number is considered a "Teledyne" but don't know any more than that.
  5. E

Maybe someone here can help? It's a Packard Bell Stereo, probably late 60s or early 70s by the look of it. Hard to say for sure without more pictures and things. The model number is RPC-25s. It's running 4 EL84s, 2 7025s (12ax7s), and a 5U4GB rectifier. I've looked around but haven't found...
  6. E

This local cat has his strat strung with .013's!

I play the string gauge that feels best with a given guitar. On my tele I run 10s. On my ibanez I play 11s. It feels pretty similar to me, but if I ran 10s on the ibanez and 11s on the Tele, the Ibanez would be too loose, and the Tele is too stiff... I've tried it before. I couldn't say what...
  7. E

Help, my signal is getting lost.

Pin 2 of V3a is reading less than 2 millivolts. I will try the ground reference 10 meg.
  8. E

Help, my signal is getting lost.

This is a modified 5e6a build-- I changed the V1a and V1b configuration-- but that works fine. My second tube is cathode follower driving the tonestack, virtually identical to the 5e6a setup-- but minus a voltage divider that originally dumped some of the signal to ground before the tonestack; I...
  9. E

Need some amp design advice....

If you do run an EF86, I would suggest a head rather than a combo-- they're a bit sensitive. And I might suggest two-- if you intend to run a volume pot or a tonestack.
  10. E

got no sound -- 5e6a build

Highlighter sounds like a good idea. Thanks again.
  11. E

I was sort of more asking for common issues, like you've mentioned, but then methods for finding the problems. I'll check the output jack. Thanks guys.
  12. E

I'm getting plate voltages, bias voltage, and heater voltage. Tubes checked out in another amp. Did the chopstick test on all the wires going to tube grids-- no discernable sounds... what would be your next move? I thought about building a basic sound probe and following the signal path...
  13. E

Who can build me this amp?

Wouldn't that essentially be a Princeton? An AA1164 model?
  14. E

Amp's tightness/looseness.....

Steel or aluminum chassis, according to friend of mine, interact differently with the transformers and choke, and he prefers aluminum because they react less, and are 'tighter'. I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to though.
  15. E

Tracking down hum/hiss/buzz. Video of the sound included.

As to those last two electrolytics, guiltless, I wouldn't. But your mileage may vary. Try it and see.
  16. E

OTL headphone amp question

Thanks... you just gave me an epiphany about this circuit-- it just 'clicked' in my head.
  17. E

OTL headphone amp question

http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/showfile.php?file=bender_prj.htm I've asked about this before, but I think I'm better able to understand now. I think I get the basic idea behind using a tube as a load-- in the 'white cathode follower' style, or sometimes it's called a...
  18. E

What would happen if: I connected artificial center taps to my 6v6's cathode?

Billm, I didn't 'want' to do this-- although the DC elevation is making more and more sense... It was an accident, I'm pretty sure. I removed them from that tie point and sent them straight to ground, and I have less hum than before, FWIW. It does still have that 120 or 60Hz hum, but aside...
  19. E

5f1 kit troubleshoot

Nice. And congratulations.Yeah, if it were me, I'd run a second 8uF cap in parallel if you can fit it on the board.
  20. E

What would happen if: I connected artificial center taps to my 6v6's cathode?

I opened up my 5f1 build today-- I've played it on and off over the last couple of years. Man it was a rat's nest inside, but it sounded okay. But when I opened it up today, I noticed something really odd. I think this was a 'use one of the unused lugs on a socket as a tie point ideas. But I...
  21. E

5f1 kit troubleshoot

Hurrah! So, how quiet did you actually get it... my champ is still a bit hummy.
  22. E

5f1 kit troubleshoot

In a pinch guitar cable can be used as shielded wire. ÷13 amps use it for all their shielding, or so I'm told.
  23. E

one pedal

MI Audio Blues Pro.
  24. E

Help me understand these Valveking specs?

No one knows what amperage draw is available on the VK112 Power Tranny?
  25. E

5f1 kit troubleshoot

Also, you can try reversing the primary leads on your output transformer-- sometimes that helps. Try poking around with a chopstick at various wires with it on. Sometimes that can identify where the parasitic circuit is. Also... a gutshot could help. Sometimes you can ask better questions and...