Search results

1. skeeterbuck

Favorite resources for Partscaster builds and basic tech knowledge?

If you planning on building a T style partscaster, I'd recommend that you go over to the Telecaster Forum and join up. IIRC they have a category that deals with partscasters. They also have a whole section on builds from scratch. Lots of good info from folks that "live and breathe this stuff"...
  2. skeeterbuck

Bone vs. Tusq as a nut material. Pros? Cons?

Is that because it's harder to work with or to help discourage it being chosen?
  3. skeeterbuck

How many truly distinctive-sounding guitars are there, that you could identify by sound?

That because you already know what guitars they're playing. I'm saying in a blind testing where the guitars are similiar, and by the same player, I surly can't tell which one has the rosewood and which is the maple fretboard.
  4. skeeterbuck

PAF Roundup: Friedman, Wolfetone, Suhr, Duncan, BKP, Lollar

I recently accuired a PRS S2 Standard 22 and am considering a set of Thornbuckers. From your experience would you go for the regular bridge PU or the plus version? Thanks!
  5. skeeterbuck

How many truly distinctive-sounding guitars are there, that you could identify by sound?

I agree Gooseteeth, e.g. I perfer rosewood fretboards for the way they feel under my fingers, but I can't tell if a Tele has a rosewood or maple board from a recording.
  6. skeeterbuck

This thread makes me chuckle when I think that members here that say the can tell the difference in types of tone capacitors , ss frets vs nickel or rosewood vs maple fretboards. :spit
  7. skeeterbuck

Ron Ellis Pickups....where to order from?

If he's selling them it's NOT a hobby. It sound more to me like a poorly run business. I think this is similar to the PIO tone capacitor discussion. I think in a blind test, I doubt that (other than Eric Johnson) any of us could tell than apart from other well made pickups. It's the same with...
  8. skeeterbuck

Does the S2 line help PRS or devalue them?

I recently purchased a 2015 S2 Standard 22 used on Reverb. I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase at a week in and so far the only thing I'm not to overwhelmed with is the pu's. The overall build quality is much nicer than the SE models I've tried and buying used I was able to get it at half of what...
  9. skeeterbuck

Testing your limits - my first dance with a Rickenbacker

Well, I know on my 12 sting (381V69) that if you adjust the neck perfectly straight the strings will buzz like crazy. I want the action, especially on a 12 string guitar, to be as low as possible without any excess buzzing which means the neck needs some slight relief. I think "almost" is the...
  10. skeeterbuck

Testing your limits - my first dance with a Rickenbacker

Where did you get this info? I'm curious because I've never heard this before. I have both a Ric 6 & 12 string and I adjust them like my other Fenders & Gibsons with slight relief.
  11. skeeterbuck

How I saved hundreds of dollars on new guitars!

I agree it's a complete Fender guitar. Fender even has online videos on how to remove the neck to adjust the truss rod. Why would they do this if it voided the warranty? The thinking that if it didn't come from the factory that way it a partscaster is just ludicrous. With that thinking, I guess...
  12. skeeterbuck

How do you tell the difference? (If there is any)
  13. skeeterbuck

Tell me how it's different?
  14. skeeterbuck

IMO you have a Fender CS guitar. I don't see why it has to be a Fender employee or a Fender Authorized Repair person who actually turns the screws to assemble the guitar to make it a legitimate Fender product. If all the parts are Fender it's a Fender. With what the Stratosphere charges for...
  15. skeeterbuck

So if someone at Guitar Center replaces the neck with another Fender replacement neck, it still a legitimate Fender product because they're a Fender dealer. If a master luthier who isn't a factory authorized Fender dealer purchases a fully loaded guitar body & matching neck for Stratosphere and...
  16. skeeterbuck

COYS, what's you definition of a "partscaster"? example: If I buy a new Fender guitar and for whatever reason the neck needs to be replace. The neck is replaced under warranty but since it's NOT done at the factory, it's now a partscaster?
  17. skeeterbuck

I paid $1600 for mine +$99 Tax & free shipping. I don't agree that his guitar has "no resale value". As I stated earlier in this thread, a Fender assembled from all original parts is still a Fender. What difference does it make if the person assembling the guitar is a Fender assembly line...
  18. skeeterbuck

My goof...your correct!
  19. skeeterbuck

IIRC, Stratosphere was selling the body with all the hardware & electronics for $700.
  20. skeeterbuck

Because sometimes expectations change?
  21. skeeterbuck

It not a partscaster. It a Fender guitar that someone took apart (Stratosphere) and someone else just reassembled (the buyer). The OP didn't take into account the case, case candy and for what it's worth the warranty. I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I wanted the case and when you add...
  22. skeeterbuck

Vintage Fender Tweed Guys, Astron Capacitors

Hey Hogmeister! Why do you think you've lost your mind? I would have done the same thing. On second thought maybe were both crazy... but I doubt it. Don't forget some chassis shots when you're finished. ;)
  23. skeeterbuck

When you know more than any GC employee in the store about the guitar you are buying

In situations like this I always wonder what their actions would be if the reverse happen. Say GC has it marked at $1499 and the actual MAP is $999. You go up to pay for it and the salesman realizes the mistake and doesn't say anything. He then posts on TGP how he ripped off some buyer because...
  24. skeeterbuck

What is the Correct Case for this Guitar?

In the last several weeks of all the 60th Anniversary Classic Player's I've seen for sale used, several (at least 3) have had the G&G 60th case instead of the Pro Series tweed cases. That leads me to believe that it must have been a fairly popular upgrade. That would also indicate that there...