Search results

1. M

Are boutique amps worth it?

Another consideration: Whether the guitars and amps are "boutique" or not, personally I'd rather have two good guitars and four good amps than four good guitars and two good amps. Many more bases covered that way in my experience.
  2. M

One more thing: Lil' Dawg and Winfield are boutique builders in my mind, and you can get a lot of brand new amp from them for less than a grand. If you haven't tried something like a well-built 5E3 and don't mind starting your boutique amp explorations off with a straight-up reproduction, it...
  3. M

The original question is really way too broad to be useful. There are some great sounding, mass produced amps that regularly sell used for under $750, and there are some amps made by boutique builders that, in my opinion, just do not sound good. I mean, in my experience, even some models made...
  4. M

"Jose" mods are diode clipping?

"Misnomer"... Hah ... Carry on...
  5. M

There are plenty of ways to define terms, some of which are more reasonable than others. How about starting with this one for an example: a pre-amp is all-tube if it uses tubes for gain stages and/or for generating distortion and does not use solid-state devices for either of those purposes...
  6. M

Maybe because the Blackstar engineer, while being truthful about the Blackstar amp in question not having an all-tube preamp, still would like Blackstar amps to sell, and hence mentioned the DSL having solid state components even though those components play a quite different role than the ones...
  7. M

Yes, it's abundantly clear that you're confused.
  8. M

Sure, if one doesn't understand the concept of a signal path or understand what various components are being used for, one might see it as inconsistent. :)
  9. M

Hmm... The definition that pretty much only you uses or much more commonly accepted definitions... I wonder which I'll keep using. :)
  10. M

Maybe you should talk to someone from Blackstar, like the guy who posted on this thread: https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=26456 From the Blackstar engineer: "Yes the Blackstar range, with the exception of the Artisan series, are hybrid designs" Now, based on your past...
  11. M

Make the Wrong Reverb Right?

I found a schematic. It indicates a 4FB2A1A. The schematic says G-105 at the upper left of the page, but in the title box it says G105-115; presumably it's the right schematic and the difference between the 105 and 115 is just the 2x12 format of the 105...
  12. M

Using a headphone input sucks the tone out of my Vox!

It's been a while since I had one, but based on distant memory I'm pretty that sure what you're describing is normal. The manual doesn't specifically say so, but I don't think there is any speaker simulation circuitry on the headphone out, and when that's the case the results through headphones...
  13. M

I dinged my 52 reissue pretty good...

My sympathies... That's a nasty one. I agree with all the posts mentioning that a guitar that gets played a lot will usually get dinged, but I can't be the only other member who would feel crappy about that one for a good while if it were my guitar. :( My general MO seems to be making things...
  14. M

That's fine, but it has no bearing on whether each amp has an all-tube signal path. And again, I am not saying there is anything wrong amps that don't have all-tube preamps. Also, throw a (solid state) overdrive pedal of your choice in front, and whether the signal hits a 12AX7 or a TL072...
  15. M

Dude, a guy pointed out the differences on another thread, and a big part of your response was to ask him to explain how it could be that your Blackstar's power tubes were not amplifying anything. He (obviously) never suggested that the Blackstar didn't have a tube output section. Anyway...
  16. M

Can't post on the old thread about this since it's been closed, but all amps that have some solid state components in the signal path are not equal, and not all companies advertise these things in the same way. For example, most Marshall fans would know that Jubilees use diode clipping, and are...
  17. M

No, that is not the case.
  18. M

Suhr Reactive Load For Slaving/Re-Amping

The Suhr Rective Load has an output level control. You can turn it down for use with instrument level inputs on mixers -- see https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/suhr-reactive-load-regular-non-ir-line-level-or-instrument-to-interface.2172691/ -- so it stands to reason that you...
  19. M

Kurt Cobain - pretentious?

Definitely true, then...
  20. M

Is my amp hand wired or PCB?

Just the speaker, right? (Aside from the obvious cosmetic differences, I mean.) I've never seen it suggested that any of the circuitry was different. You can see the specs at https://www.keymusic.com/item/fender-fsr-65-deluxe-reverb-blue-flower/
  21. M

Is my amp hand wired or PCB?

If it makes you feel any better, the tube sockets are hand-wired and mounted on the chassis rather than the PCB. :)
  22. M

Supro Customer Service

Pretty (very) weird to expect Supro to send you a replacement. If you think there's something wrong with the amp or if it doesn't have the features you thought it did, why not just return it to the place that you bought it from? Presumably you didn't buy it straight from the Supro warehouse...
  23. M

JamBand Amp - Smaller Vibrolux Reverb?

But if you play with the amp fairly clean and get your drive from pedals, why isn't just turning the amp down further as good as an option as getting a different amp with a master volume? I guess I'm not seeing the benefit of getting a different amp, although folks have suggested some fine...
  24. M

Reactive Load volume trick (re: Pete Thorn)

That's what I would say, although I haven't done that exact comparison. It's not really possible for versions of the same model speaker with different impedances to be exactly identical, but their sensitivity ratings are measured with the voltage applied adjusted for the impedance, so if the...
  25. M

just bought a used Vintage 47 Oahu suitcase amp.Need some questions answered

Some people may have a 4 ohm cab (or internal speaker) that they want to play the amp through, and others may have an 8 ohm cab that they want to play the amp through. I doubt it's more complicated than that. You get the maximum power output when you match the speaker load to the tap: neither...