Search results

1. GovernorSilver

Lifting weights and playing

You are unlikely to build a Mr. Universe type of bulky physique from strength training - be it lifting weights or bodyweight (handstand pushup for example is pretty intense) - unless you consume certain things, a certain way. Some have come out and said steroids but I have no experience with...
  2. GovernorSilver

Behringer Pro-800

Some details from SynthAnatomy, which like B is based in Germany: https://www.synthanatomy.com/2020/09/behringer-pro-800-analog-clone-of-the-sequential-pro-600-with-8-voices.html I'm fine with only 1 LFO and mono out - thus no stereo panning tricks as demoed in the GliGli video So many new...
  3. GovernorSilver

Yup, there are players on this forum who lift, yet also have serious chops - Jeff, ivers, etc.
  4. GovernorSilver

Arturia PolyBrute...dang

Shame that the Music Radar review wasn't written by Scot Solida. The one who did write it has a history of attention to detail that is lacking, compared to someone like Scot or Jim Aiken who never seems to miss anything and writes with greater precision. SOS's review was written by Gordon...
  5. GovernorSilver

Arturia PolyBrute...dang

If you think about it, who would really want to buy a software version of a Microbrute or Minibrute? That's not what softsynth customers seem to be looking for. They want Omnisphere or a copy of some famous, iconic synth from the 80s or earlier. So whoever tells you that there's a software...
  6. GovernorSilver

Arturia PolyBrute...dang

Arturia doesn't make hardware versions of their software, and they don't make software versions of their hardware. I don't see them breaking that pattern anytime soon. For example, if they made a hardware version of Jup-8V, I'm sure they'd be sued immediately by Roland
  7. GovernorSilver

Who does the best Hendrix courses?

The only thing I found on Truefire that is close is Adam Levy's 50 Lowdown Rhythms course - specifically the lessons in which he teaches the guitar part(s) to "Wait Until Tomorrow". There might be other Hendrix songs in there - I forgot. I see there are some people trying to teach it on...
  8. GovernorSilver

Breakthroughs?

For me it's starting to hear the chord progression of a song as voices playing in harmony, instead of just think of chords as one grip after another on the guitar neck. I also found that memorizing the chord progression of the tune and the rhythm - which chords are 2 beats, which which are 4...
  9. GovernorSilver

Any recommendations on instructional videos for both theory and technique/exercise?

TrueFire has a bunch of courses tagged under "Chords and Progressions": https://truefire.com/search?q=chords%20and%20progressions You can use the links on the left side to narrow down the selection. Most of what I learned about how chord progressions was from learning jazz tunes, but I know...
  10. GovernorSilver

If you're training with enough intensity/resistance so that your sets are low reps, you just need to make sure your volume is not excessive. High volume and high intensity do not mix very well. That's why the more successful high-volume training routines are done with moderate intensity...
  11. GovernorSilver

I've done barbell deadlifts in the past, and currently train with parallettes, gymnastic rings, and kettlebells. I've been able to avoid excessive tension in my forearms/wrists by warming up with some kind of joint mobility routine before training, and stretching afterwards. This is pretty...
  12. GovernorSilver

Small groovebox/synth decision

Yeah, according to the Loopop video review, it has some synthesis capabilities - the ACB for modeling the analog TR-808 sounds, and the FM engine that was recently added. He also points out that it's not as a complete a groovebox workstation as the MC-707, which has tons more sample...
  13. GovernorSilver

No worries. Correct, the TR-8S is a sample player but currently has no sample recording capability of its own, despite the presence of stereo audio inputs. Compared to MC707, the MC has pattern chaining and ZenCore, but no ACB or FM synthesis, while the TR-8S has no pattern chaining but it...
  14. GovernorSilver

I don't have it. The video was made by belibat. AFAIK it still doesn't have a song mode or pattern chaining - but don't quote me on that. Just pointing out that it does not "just do drums" as claimed by the other person.
  15. GovernorSilver

The TR-8S can play samples of violins, horns, etc. and now has an FM synth engine. This user states the violins, horns, etc. were all stock samples, and he used the FM engine for some drum parts. Somebody complained about the repeated use of an ostinato part, but that's beside the point.
  16. GovernorSilver

Interesting Adam Neely vid on Theory...

Mine as well. As for the rest, I'm not saying you're wrong. I'd just have to watch again to clarify my own conclusions.
  17. GovernorSilver

fwiw, not denying what you say in the first sentence. Just saying that my impression is the criticism is focused around a specific person and his theories rather than all European music theorists under a broad brush stroke.
  18. GovernorSilver

So I want to learn the piano...

Oh, if you get the Alfred Masterworks edition of the Inventions, they give you the fingering numbers that you'll need...
  19. GovernorSilver

This book has a some great advice for scale fingerings but it's more for jazz piano: https://www.shermusic.com/1883217121.php
  20. GovernorSilver

My understanding of the video was that Ewell's main beef was the widespread use of Schenkerian analysis for analyzing all kinds of music, including Indian classical, along with Schenker's theories continuing to be the basis of university music education, instead of a more inclusive curriculum -...
  21. GovernorSilver

When I was in university, grad students posted flyers for private lessons on bulletin boards all the time - mostly in the vicinity of the music department offices and classrooms. Professors were harder to get private lessons with but could at least be contacted for referrals to music teachers...
  22. GovernorSilver

VIBRATO

Yeah, I tend to be subtle and sparse with my vibrato. I use it once around 0:12 and don't do it again until later as you observe. Jazz-blues doesn't really lend itself to a lot of vibrato anyway, at least how my taste has been influenced listening to Miles, Oscar Peterson, etc. I use vibrato...
  23. GovernorSilver

VIBRATO

I tried to find the thread because there are some better players on there but no dice - the search keywords might be too common. Anyway, here's my vid that was posted to that thread. Judge for yourself if my vibrato is really that hard to hear
  24. GovernorSilver

No, because it's guitar oriented. Keyboard Corner forum is better for this. Books 1 and 2 of this series should give you a decent foundation if you don't want to hire a piano teacher, although honestly a teacher will help you not hurt yourself...
  25. GovernorSilver

I gravitate towards Model:Cycles music like this - "blizzard" is not the word I would use to describe it: