Search results

1. stevel

Best way to get paid for lessons "virtually"?

Yeah I was wondering about this too. I wonder if maybe I should have PayPal, Venmo, and Zelle accounts etc. - I'm sure it's easier to get paid if someone doesn't have to download a new app, create an account, etc. because you use PP but they use Zelle etc.
  2. stevel

I was thinking about this - if I link to a bank account and have it deposit to my bank account, I'll be far less likely to spend it. I was looking at it last night and thinking, "well, OK, you could just leave the money in Paypal and then use it as just another bank account, paying for things...
  3. stevel

Prefer either? Or is it like you need to have accounts at multiple services to make it easier for your clients that prefer one over the other? How do Venmo and Zelle stack up to Paypal?
  4. stevel

My day job is teaching at a university, and kind of the same issue - what used to be drive in, teach with the materials I used for the past 10 years, rinse and repeat has become learn Zoom, figure out how to make Zoom work for want I want it to do. Scream at Zoom for not doing what I need it to...
  5. stevel

Thanks. Paypal seems to be ubiquitous...I'll check them out.
  6. stevel

Who was the best MTV VJ?

Thanks for mentioning these - I had forgotten Nina and JJJ. As a male with a typical upbringing for the time, Martha Quinn was it. But I think I felt like Mark Goodman was probably the "coolest" IMHO and that resonanted with me. It didn't hurt that there was a local guitar player who looked a...
  7. stevel

Have someone who wants to do distance lessons. What's the best way for them to pay me - what do I have to have set up at my end and what can they use - like would we both have to have Google Wallet if we used that?
  8. stevel

Could I use my desktop synth (Crave, Moog Mother 32 clone) with a sequencer to program riffs on desktop synths without sequencers?

It sounds like you just want to have the Crave control your Korg yes? (seems like you don't have the Dave Smith or OPZ stuff you mention yet). For that, MIDI OUT of the Crave goes to MIDI IN of the Korg. Note Messages from the Crave will trigger notes to play on the Korg PC Messages will...
  9. stevel

Prince Playing

Whoa, thanks for this. I didn't even know he did this kind of stuff.
  10. stevel

Prince Playing

Whoa!
  11. stevel

Prince Playing

Hey @WordMan I'm not the most huge Santana fan - in fact I can be quite critical of his playing because he basically has a few stock licks he does in almost every song - the long ascending tremolo gliss, the quick pull pinky thing, etc. But, he's extremely MELODIC and tasteful. Though of course...
  12. stevel

Prince Playing

Thanks, I've never seen stuff like this so yeah, he's pretty darn good :-)
  13. stevel

Prince Playing

Sorry, didn't realize it.
  14. stevel

Prince Playing

Oh my jesus god. You just changed my life. You're right. Totally on his game.
  15. stevel

Prince Playing

The big deal is that not how most people picture Prince and many were probably surprised that he played as well as he played. It's a "wow I didn't realize Prince could play like that" thing.
  16. stevel

Bands you're "supposed" to like but don't.

Funny, I like all the bands (aside from the Dead) being listed here. I may know something you don't ;-)
  17. stevel

Bands you're "supposed" to like but don't.

That's the early stuff.
  18. stevel

Prince Playing

Skip to 3:28 if ye must. Other examples of him playing non-Prince stuff (or Prince stuff) where he's obviously quite competent despite being out of his royal element?
  19. stevel

Best Guitarists, Questionable Straps?!?!

I was going to mention the letters but that's more of the whole older thing of people having their name inlaid on the fingerboard or something (Merle Travis).
  20. stevel

I hadn't seen that one. I wouldn't say that one was "cheesy" or anything though. I mean it's not like a prism with rainbow coming out of it...
  21. stevel

Was just looking for a strap and came across the SRV one - black strap and white notes on it. I always thought that looked like "the tie dad wears because the kids gave it to him for father's day" if you know what I mean. I mean, it's SRV right, so you can rag on his strap all you want, but...
  22. stevel

Fender Player Series (and Deluxe, and Vintera)

Thanks all. We just left the store with a Pearl Surf Green SSS and matching Green Fender Case - super sharp combo! Got $70.00 off becuase the case had some marks on it but nothing serious. We played: Store 1: Vintera 70s. Great guitar, but he didn't like the neck. I didn't either. We're so...
  23. stevel

Fender Player Series (and Deluxe, and Vintera)

We just walked out of the store with the exact same guitar! I was super impressed and so was he. They also happened to have some Fender branded cases in Surf Green (and Daphne Blue) and with that, it was kind of a clincher - bought thee Green case and the Guitar and it's a stunning combo...