Search results

1. Stormin

Quick question, can you get Phish tones out of a Mesa Boogie Mark Iv?

It’s the Mark V that’s has individual channel EQ’s.
  2. Stormin

Quick question, can you get Phish tones out of a Mesa Boogie Mark Iv?

No. Channel 1 and Channel 2 have shared EQ. Channel 3 has its own EQ.
  3. Stormin

Eric Clapton: A Tale of Two Tones

See that’s just crazy to me - Motherless Children just freakin’ smokes!
  4. Stormin

Eric Clapton: A Tale of Two Tones

God I loved that rig. He sounded amazing on that Journeyman tour.
  5. Stormin

Removing tubes from a Deluxe Reverb

I do the exact same thing on my ‘71. V1 is the normal channel preamp tube (I never use that channel) and V5 is the tremolo tube (don’t use that either). Removing them both adds preamp gain and give the amp a bit of a hotter sound.
  6. Stormin

Need help with 5881 tubes

Talk to Mike at KCA - he’s a member here. The JAN Phillips 6L6WGB is what you’re looking for and they’re $105 a pair.
  7. Stormin

Pairing G12H30 70th Anniv and Greenbacks in 4x12?

I’ve been doing it in 2x12’s for years. My next 4x12 will be Greenbacks up top and 70th Anniversaries on the bottom.
  8. Stormin

Recommendations for JCM800-like amp?

The Avenger might get you in the ballpark, but the Decatone doesn’t come close to JCM800 tones - it’s got its own unique sound. I owned and gigged one for years and it never scratched the Marshall itch.
  9. Stormin

Princeton Reverb w/12” speaker vs Deluxe Reverb

IMHO, a PR doesn’t have enough headroom to really be flexible, beyond playing at home or studio work. A DR with pedals like an OCD and a FDII, and a good Celestion can cover a hell of a lot more ground. That’s what I went with. When all of my Marshall’s are gone, the DR will be the last one...
  10. Stormin

1986, JTM50, Early Spec 1959 or JTM45/100..........

If it were me, and I've been there (Germino Club 40), I'd absolutely go for EL34's and a GZ34 rectifier with an optional switch for a SS rectifier. To me, that's the best of both worlds for JTM50 and 1986 JMP. You already have a BBRI, so go EL34 with this one.
  11. Stormin

Old guys, what was BOSTON when they came on the scene?

I disagree. They were very much of a band - in the beginning. Watch some of the live footage from the late 70’s.
  12. Stormin

Old guys, what was BOSTON when they came on the scene?

IMHO, you have to remember what else was HUGE at that time: Aerosmith, Kiss, etc. Then the Boston album comes out: it’s an Analog tape album recorded in a guys rented house (for the most part). IT WAS UNBELIEVABLE. Even forgetting the songs and the playing, that album set new standards for...
  13. Stormin

Bogner Shiva Head Chassis Removal Tips for Tube Replacement?

When I had my silver-back EL34 NR Shiva, I had a mix of Tung-Sol and Electro Harmonix preamp tubes. There should not be any issues pulling the chassis out. Once the screws are out, just turn the head upside down and slide the chassis out.
  14. Stormin

3rd Power Majestic - anyone ever play one?

Love that Young Bros avatar bud.
  15. Stormin

3rd Power Majestic - anyone ever play one?

Hey y’all - There’s a 3rd Power Majestic 40 head for sale locally that I’m interested in. I can’t find anything about this amp in the search bar. Does anyone have any experience with this amp? Seems like a cool amp that can blend AC30 and 1986 tones. Thx.
  16. Stormin

Bogner Shiva or Bogner Shiva 20th Anniversary

I gigged a silver-back EL34 NR Shiva that had a factory variable boost mod for about 10 years. Prolly did 350 gigs with it. The original amps are definitely less flexible, but absolute tonal beasts. I made the special cable and always used a TC Nova Reverb in the loop. That would be my...
  17. Stormin

Does anyone make a head version of a Bluesbreaker??

On mine, I just yanked out the trem tube. Now it’s disconnected.
  18. Stormin

2 amps are better than 1??? Post your rig!

Thank you sir.
  19. Stormin

2 amps are better than 1??? Post your rig!

A pair of JTM45s running dual mono bring the fury for me
  20. Stormin

Help me bond with my Deluxe Reverb

I have a ‘71 Deluxe Reverb and my experience has not been like yours at all. My amp is an absolute monster with a Fulltone OCD in front. IMHO, you need to do 2 minor things to reclaim your amp: have it serviced by a good tech (filter caps, etc) and clip the damn bright cap. We’re talking like...
  21. Stormin

Making the most of the MarkIV's R2 channel

R2 is exactly why I moved on from the Mark IV. In a channel switching scenario, I could never get a good rock sound out of it to work as the rhythm with R3 as the lead, without R1 suffering. R2 was great for SRV type stuff but when I set it where is needed to be to rock, then R1 sounded bad.
  22. Stormin

Stumbled across a Mark I - thoughts?

Looks like a basic, Mark I 60 watt with no options. Get it! If you look at the bottom of the chassis, you’ll most likely find Randy Smith’s name and a date, written in Sharpie.
  23. Stormin

82 JCM800 2204 Overhaul

That looks amazing and the quality of your work looks top notch, but you now have a 2204 clone in a vintage chassis and shell. I don’t understand why you’d choose to rip out the iron and pcb from a vintage amp - it couldn’t have all been junk. I don’t mean you any disrespect - I just don’t...
  24. Stormin

Help! Fender 64 Custom DRRI vs Alessandro Handwired DRRI

It’s not a PCB rework. He completely guts them and drops in a “handwired” circuit. If I was in this situation, I’d look hard at the Alessandro. IMHO, the ‘64 Custom is too much money for what it is. https://images.app.goo.gl/qUCZf9C3ZLQYRWLT7

Trending Topics