Search results

1. N

Thoughts on Paul Reed Smiths

I second this suggestion for finding one- it will save you time, money and tax... unless you really just want a new guitar. I've had my '97 McCarty Rosewood for about 9 years and it's an amazing instrument. Try one out before you decide, but I highly recommend upgrading (costs more but is...
  2. N

Find a PLEK Machine near you!!!!!!

Joe Glaser is a super-nice guy and runs a top-notch shop... I take my stuff there for any serious repairs. I am considering getting a guitar or two plekk'd when I can afford it, as they need setup anyway...
  3. N

The Definitive Strat

I'd seriously look at G&L's offering at whatever pricepoint the Fender you were considering runs... More Leo than Leo...
  4. N

New PRS single cuts?

Gibson didn't win the lawsuit, PRS SC guitars continue production, yadda yadda... They look pretty sweet methinks. I played one a couple of years ago and it was a fine instrument. Even had a different feel than my McCarty Rosewood- very fun and nice sounding guitar. Even before plugging it...
  5. N

Thoughts on an unexpected quirk of playing a strat...

I will have to try raising the trem and lowering the bridges, as I think putting the bridge pieces so high has thrown off my intonation slightly..
  6. N

Bending the single note a little farther doesn't bother me much at all, since I'm listening anyway. I've been getting the hang of bending both strings up to compensate for the two string double bends that cause the tuning issues (the string holding a same note goes flat as the string below it...
  7. N

So, I've been playing this strat for about almost a month, a G&L SC-3. I like it a lot. I haven't restrung my PRS since I got it to A/B them, but I definitely notice some differences besides the expected ones from them having 2 different scale lengths, bridge systems and resultant string...
  8. N

I want a guitar from the year I was born (1980) but.................

G&L started in 1979... That's "more Fender than Fender" at the time- literally!
  9. N

Excuse me, but as a Canadian, I protest this...

What's a headstock bob? Is that what gives it the Gibson headstock shape instead of the epiphone one, or is it just a unique epiphone?
  10. N

Heavyweight PRS, Sell it?

I don't mind heavier guitars if I have a comforatble padded strap. My McCarty Rosewood isn't that heavy, though.
  11. N

McCarty vs. Les Paul Standard?

I think the namesakes of each guitar would be proud to be contending with each other vicariously in this thread...
  12. N

McCarty vs. Les Paul Standard?

They must have shot up. I got my McCarty with the rosewood neck option used for $1900, but I think they were going for $2400 or something new... how much is an R7, R8 or new McCarty? Is an R9 reissue that different from the other ones that puts it into a different price class just because it's...
  13. N

New Bigsby guitar - retro cool...

Guitarmook, Thanks for clearing that up. To further clarify- I am in no way implying that your guitar is only worth $450- that's just about all I could throw into another guitar at the moment! It is a really lovely instrument- and would be a great way for me to regain the vibrato tailpiece...
  14. N

Which Squier and quality

If had a Fender, Gibson and a Squire, I don't think the Squire would see much playing time. Squiers should be the same size as a regular Fender. They are Fender's budget line. If you really want a Squier for whatever reason, I would one different from your Fender. So, if you have a Fender...
  15. N

Grover Jackson Working For Edd Roman??

Or just spend 3 minutes reading his website and you'll realize what moronic drivel it is!!!! The conspiracy theories!!! The ridiculous (and ridiculously-priced) guitars!!! The nerve/audacity/mania that man has!
  16. N

New Bigsby guitar - retro cool...

So, the overseas model costs >$2.5k? It does look very cool. I'm just going to continue thinking that the Catto replica costs that much and I can get the import guitar for $450... :) Just because now I want one!
  17. N

Gibson vs PRS vs Fender vs ??

I don't think I could go any shorter than the 25" scale... I have had my PRS McCarty Rosewood for YEARS and recently got an '88 G&L SC-3 strat to go with it. I think G&L is way better than Fender for the $$, but I can only speak with the dollars I am given! No problems with PRS for me. There...
  18. N

Bought Myself A Gibson

Don't they usually go for a lot more than that? Nice score! That's a great-looking Les Paul!
  19. N

Wide Neck / Wide String Spacing

I like the PRS wide-fat. I also like the thinner neck on my G&L just fine, but really like those baseball bat necks (the PRS isn't that fat!)...
  20. N

Best new strat for Gilmour tones/bends?

I don't know if the SC-3 has 7.5" radius or whatever, but I raised the action on all the strings last night and now it is 10x better! I like high action anyway, great for blues and huge bends. Still plays fast, though. No fretting out with 2 step bends anymore... Even the whammy bar seems to...
  21. N

How many guitars do you own?

-Amalio Burguet Spanish Classical -PRS McCarty Rosewood -1988 G&L SC-3 strat -Bourgeois OM-18 style -1974 Martin D-12-20 twelve string
  22. N

What's The Consensus On Pre-1991 G&Ls?

Do you know what year SC-3? I just got one (playing it right now- it's great!)... https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/194845&highlight=1988+G%26amp%3BL+SC-3
  23. N

Fender Nitro Notso Nitro!

Interesting thread. I don't own either of these guitars, but I am curious if the neck on my 1988 G&L SC-3 has poly or nitro finish on it. What's the best way to tell for sure? There's not a ton of info about things that specific for this guitar on the net. If it hasn't really aged much in...
  24. N

Should I trade my PRS for a CS strat?

I love and will never sell my PRS. However, I recently acquired a G&L strat that was a steal and is fantastic. So, before you sell your PRS, go to a shop and try out a G&L Legacy guitar and maybe you'll just sell a couple of your "nothing special" strats and wind up with the Legacy, keeping...