Search results

1. Tallhorses

Nuno Bettencourt with Rihanna on SNL?

Did anyone notice Nuno Bettencourt with Rihanna on SNL tonight? When it started Rihanna was sitting in a thrown with chainmail headdress (LOL)... then they start to pan over to the band and I see the headstock of a guitar. I think to myself, who the hell would play a Nuno Bettencourt Washburn on...
  2. Tallhorses

over 900 pictures from NAMM... New Carr Artimus amp and Road Worn 72 Tele?

My friends at Gguitars in New Haven took over 900 pictures at NAMM. Check out the new Carr amp, the Artimus. Anyone know anything about it? Also a new Roadworn or Relic from Fender 72 Deluxe tele? http://www.gguitars.com/namm.html
  3. Tallhorses

Duane Allman's Final Days on the Road, Rolling Stone Magazine, Nov 25th, 1971

A coworker and I were discussing the early days of the Allman Brothers yesterday morning in the shop and afterward he invited me back to his office to check out some vintage vinyl! He's got a great collection and a turn table in his office. We listened to the Layla album and Hour Glass on vinyl...
  4. Tallhorses

Headstrong Blue Lamp BL210 Tweed Super......digging it!

I just scored this Headstrong Blue Lamp BL210 (Fender Tweed Super 5f4 circuit) on ebay last week. Nice lacquered tweed, 2 x 10 (Weber's), nice Tuki cover... So far I'm really impressed as it just might be the perfect club amp for roots rock or the Stones, Black Crowes etc. Tweed rock lol! It's...
  5. Tallhorses

National Resophonic Triolian

I finally picked up my Triolian! This is the most fun I've had with a new guitar in years. It's also my first 12 fret guitar which feels great. I took it to my Sat night pub gig, stuck a mic in front and it worked great. It was almost too loud at times as I couldn't hear the other guitar player...
  6. Tallhorses

Subdudes in my back yard!

The Subdudes are playing at this small pub in CT Wed night not 10 min from my house. Can't resist. I'd be surprised if the place could hold 50 people....
  7. Tallhorses

Nocaster hum

I'm getting more hum than I should from a used Nocaster I just picked up. It has the original Nocaster wiring. When I touch the control plate the noise stops. When I touch the gold sleeve on my monster cable at the input jack it stops. When I touch the tele saddle the hum gets louder! No...
  8. Tallhorses

popping sound on my high powered twin, true bypass pedals only

I have a copy of a Fender high powered twin. 4 x 6l6 and 3 x 12AX7, solid state rectifier, 4 inputs, normal (Hi/Low) & bright (Hi/low). This only happens on this amp... when I stomp on a pedal with true bypass it makes a loud popping sound. It's very obvious in the high inputs and less noticable...
  9. Tallhorses

The Black Crowes Warpaint LIVE DVD....

Just got it in the mail yesterday. I liked it... love their versions of Torn and Frayed and Poor Elijah... Very surprised about Rich's guitar selection. Love the Trussarts. The Fender Custom Shop strats got a lot of use.... No tele's ;-( I think Luther is playing the old Tele that Mark Ford...
  10. Tallhorses

New Black Crowes CD..‘BEFORE THE FROST…UNTIL THE FREEZE’ release date Sept 1, 2009

cools news... THE BLACK CROWES ANNOUNCE RELEASE OF NEW CD AND GIVE FANS A FREE SECOND ALBUM ‘BEFORE THE FROST…UNTIL THE FREEZE’ DUE IN STORES SEPTEMBER 01, 2009 A LIMITED EDITION VINYL AVAILABLE THE BLACK CROWES will release their new studio CD, Before the Frost... on September 1, 2009...
  11. Tallhorses

PRS Dallas... 1x12, 50 watt combo, pulled the trigger and...

I'm loving it so far. I've only had it for a few days so I'm still feeling it out. This is the 50 watt 1x12 combo. It's their take on a Fender clean amp but don’t be fooled, there's plenty of sweet overdrive in this amp. I'm usually not a fan of master volume controls but this master is by...
  12. Tallhorses

New Black Crowes album on the way....

I was watching the Knicks game tonight and they interviewed Chris Robinson halftime. He said they were going into the studio next month to start recording their next album. I wonder if they'll be going back to Levon Helm's place in Woodstock NY? Anyone going to one of the Cabin Fever shows at...
  13. Tallhorses

Carr Vincent & Viceroy users....

I just picked up a new Carr Viceroy (formerly Vincent) on Friday and so far I'm loving this amp. It's really compact with plenty of nice tones at low and high volume. This amp is surprisingly loud! The 7 watt setting is very cool for earlier breakup. The 33 watt setting should compete with any...
  14. Tallhorses

Condenser mics for recording vocals...

Looking for a reasonably affordable condenser mic for recording vocals. I'm looking for a nice warm, organic, natural sound. Price is an issue as I'd like to keep it under $500. I'd spend a little more if it would last me 20 years and get me that much more.
  15. Tallhorses

55 Esquire relic on the way! Looks like Rich Robinson's!

Just snagged this esquire relic from J purcell... This was listed in the emporium maybe 6 months ago. I wanted to snag it then but I was too late! I told the buyer to contact me if he ever wanted to sell it and he did! (Thanks John). check out the specs... It hasn't arrived yet but I believe...
  16. Tallhorses

Demo Occtone Pedals - TGP Tourbox - Try them out and ship them to the next guy!

I've really wanted to check out Christopher Occhialini's line of Occtone pedals but as of right now there are no dealers setup. I was about to take advantage of a recent promo he posted in the Manufacturer's and Retailers Forum when he came up with a great suggestion... A Tour box of Occtone...
  17. Tallhorses

Victorilux 6l6 recommendations

I'm really digging my Victorilux and I've got it sounding killer see tubes below! The only issue is the power tubes and I'm looking for a better 6l6 recommendation. I've tried two sets of Winged "C" and although they sound good they rattle a bit on certain notes...both pairs from different...
  18. Tallhorses

Wolfetone Dr Vintage pups and WCR wiring!!!!!!

Just installed my Wolfetone Dr Vintage pups and they are awesome. Got to give props to Jim at WCR too...since I used his vintage wiring set. Both great guys... Glad that they're out there making such superior products... Check out Wolfe's new aged pickup covers... He recently changed his process...
  19. Tallhorses

NOS RCA 7025's! New production Mullard observations...

Just picked up a pair of NOS RCA 7025's and these could be my new favorite preamp tubes. I've got one in V1 of my Victorilux and it's killer...very smooth...dig it. Up until now the NOS Tesla's have been my go to tube for V1 but this 7025 really does the trick for this amp. I moved the Tesla to...
  20. Tallhorses

Do you want to eliminate tweed buzz? Victorilux pics...

I've always loved the tone of tweed amps but the cabinet buzz has always bothered me. The main offender for me has always been the space between the chasis and the thin peice of pine that covers it. For years I stuck picks in there, shims whatever did the trick. Wayne at Headstrong (great guy...
  21. Tallhorses

Need advice for Victorilux problems...

Just picked up a Victorilux in the emporium and I'm having a few problems. Any advice from an amp pro would be helpful.... First it's really noisy when the stand by is off, more so than the my Carr or my 20112 with the same guitar. Nothing in the chain. Strat or tele --> amp. I swapped out all...
  22. Tallhorses

Victoria 20112...nice!

I've been wanting one of these amps for a long time.... It's really a luxury for me because for my current band config it's not loud enough. However, we are going into the studio soon and I plan to use it for some crunchy tones. I played a half a dozen of these over the last year and all but...
  23. Tallhorses

Headstrong Prima 30 review and chassis pics! Tube swap update!!!

I'm a huge fan of the Black Crowes, Rich Robinson and Marc Ford. These guys have monster tone. I've seen them a few times in the last year and they were both using the Headstrong gear. Rich was using the head and Mark had an outboard tremolo or reverb unit. This is a non master head with...
  24. Tallhorses

Family Portrait – Fender, Gibson, Froggy Bottom, Santa Cruz…

It’s been a while since I’ve had all the guitars in one place. 65 Strat - Relic, 51 Nocaster - Relic, 60 LP Plaintop - VOS, 51 Thinline Nocaster - Relic Santa Cruz Tony Rice, Froggy Bottom D
  25. Tallhorses

Custom Shop Tele Thinline Relic

Just picked up this Custom Shop 51 Nocaster inspired Thinline. The pups are awesome...special wound by Chris Fleming. They're on the hot and fat side. Very sweet. Nice relic job too.