Search results

1. royd

Looking for new bass amp, where to begin?

I would respectfully disagree... I think bass amps have changed dramatically in a relatively short time. Class D is a game changer but the most recent generation hit much harder than the earlier ones. You get much lighter weight, higher power, and now you’d be hard pressed to say they don’t...
  2. royd

What is one amplifier you regret selling?

2 1964 Deluxe Reverb with an EV speaker in it... best amp I've ever played rebuilt silverface champ with Weber blue dog 12. Great amp that was the perfect volume at my age & situation
  3. royd

The best acoustic you've ever played? What's your fav brand?

I’ve been playing Lowdens since the mid 80’s. I’ve owned and played scores of other high end guitars but Lowdens are it for me. I’ve owned 5 over the years I had one stolen in Philadelphia in ‘99 - an L25C, serial number 271. If anyone runs across it, I’d love that guitar back. It was my...
  4. royd

Soft case recommendations for Fender American Precision Bass

The Protec Contego is my favorite mid priced bag by far and I’ve owned almost all of them - Reunion Blues, Mono, Access, Body Glove, Levy’s, even an Incase. Indeed, I prefer the Contego to many bags that cost a lot more. FWIW, my favorite bag is a leather Glen Cronkhite... not medium priced.
  5. royd

Guitar player has question for Bassists re: speakers

there are a couple that do digital front ends - for example the Bergantino B|Amp - but as was said, the power amp is not digital at least in the traditional sense.
  6. royd

So, yeah, I'm a guitar player, playing at bass...

good advice here... there are lots of us who have transitioned partially or completely from guitar to bass. Play. Play as much as you can. A church or synagogue band can be a really good way to do that. Some are even paid gigs. If you don't have a drummer to work with, I find my Beat Buddy...
  7. royd

Choosing my first vintage blackface amp!

another vote for the Deluxe. I love the 6V6's. I payed one for years with an EV in it that I positively loved. If you need more volume than it can do, you're playing too loud ;-)
  8. royd

Mooer micro pre-amps clean?

I've thought of the joyo too...
  9. royd

Yes. But it is nice to have the cab sim, simple as it is in this iteration, built in plus the option of the dirty channel too
  10. royd

I’m looking for a preamp and am interested in the Mooer micros... but the videos all seem to focus on the dirty tones. I’m most interested in the cleans. Any thoughts/impressions regarding which ones do the best cleans? Unfortunately, I like Vox, Marshall, & Fenderish cleans so I’m open to...
  11. royd

Bass for a Guitar Player:

Nobody has mentioned the Ibanez Mezzo - a 32 inch scale bass with the same pups as the Mikro but adding an active preamp. As was said for the Mikro, the J pup is the weak point and unfortunately nothing else is a direct fit. You need to do a tiny bit of routing or sanding to make a normal J...
  12. royd

NGD: Logan Tele

So... got the guitar back from my tech today and everything is good.
  13. royd

My impression is that he builds the bodies but not the necks. And I’m pretty sure that he does the finish. I’m not positive about any of it though.
  14. royd

So a follow up... The more I played the guitar the more buzzes I noticed... took it to my tech who said the frets were a mess. Took it for a fret-level and dressing. He had it a day and called me. He said the frets were so bad he didn’t think he could dress them and that it needed a refret...
  15. royd

Jim Kelley 2 channel line amp zebra wood combo

where is the auction for #16?
  16. royd

5-10 watt tube amp

My 2nd favorite amp of all time as a silverface Champ that had been placed in a larger cab with a 12 inch Weber blue dog. It was glorious. I wish I still had it. It didn't do dirty but was an amazing pedal platform. For an updated version of that, check out the Ceriatone Ultra. The...
  17. royd

speaker cabinet for acoustic guitar

I use my Genzler bass arrays (the BA12-3 and BA110-2) for acoustic guitar and they sound amazing. For power, I use a Genzler 800 head... also amazing for acoustic guitar. FWIW, I play a Lowden with a dual source - Sunrise and McIntyre pickup system.
  18. royd

I purchased a Logan T with 2 Fralin P92’s from him a little more than a month ago... I don’t see another one on his site or on Reverb So maybe you’re talking about my guitar ;-) I like the guitar a lot. The one I have has flamed maple top with chambered alder back and a roasted 1 piece maple...
  19. royd

VVT Lindy Fralin Model Amp Alternative

It is still on their website and at least one dealer seems to have both the Lindy Fralin Amp and the Jack Pearson version.
  20. royd

Guitar you first really wanted when growing up

it was 67-68 and a local player named Marty Brown had an Esquire which sounded just like Jeff Beck to me when he played it... I was inspired.
  21. royd

Vendor DCW Pedals - TGP Halloween Pedal Giveaway! Win a FREE pedal!

Mountain Lion Deluxe and Almond Joy
  22. royd

Innovative/forward thinking bass companies/luthiers?

Check out AC Guitars... very cool.
  23. royd

P-90s do you like em?

A couple folk mentioned the Fralin P92’s. I have them in a tele type guitar I recently purchased and they feel just about perfect to me. I needed pups with no hum - I play in a number of churches with T-coil systems and have found that some single coil pups act as antennae, picking up the...